Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I finally had my eyes opened to the new gaming phenomenon called X-box. I know I was in denial that PS2 will be the only gaming console for me.

But X-Box can have games playing at 720p or 1080i output to our big screen. I wonder if this would make a decent dvd player.

But to be able to play games at 720p and Dolby Digital sound on our big screen CRT projection would be awesome. And maybe surfing the net as well or play online. The possiblilities are endless.

Any thoughts from other HT Enthusiasts are welcome.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The XBox will only play games at High def, not DVD's. They were going to allow DVD's to be viewed in HD but changed it to be a non progressive scan player at the last minute.

The Nintendo Gamecube will also have games in HD.

Mike

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I think a lot of what the xbox will be depends on the community of users. For Example, Dreamcasts can be made to do a lot more than originally planned.

It's a lot like a PC. So much so that MS tries constantly to downplay that side of it. But developers and hackers may enable features that are otherwise not planned.

-B

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton
I think a lot of what the xbox will be depends on the community of users. For Example, Dreamcasts can be made to do a lot more than originally planned.

It's a lot like a PC. So much so that MS tries constantly to downplay that side of it. But developers and hackers may enable features that are otherwise not planned.

-B
Do you know where i can look to find out more things I can do with my dreamcast? thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
The Nintendo Gamecube will also have games in HD.
The GameCube will not support HD resolutions, the highest resolution it is capable of is 480p which still isn't too bad.

Not all games for the XBox will be in HD. Only games that are specifically designed to take advantage of this feature will be in HD. There has been some speculation that there may not be many games availble in HD.

Mark.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All,

I found out that we can buy a monster component cable for the Xbox. But do you know if the signal from the component cables are displayed in interlaced or progressive. And do you know if it can be switched from interlaced and progressive.

I am using a Faroujda NR scaler and I don't think it can accept a progressive signal.

Thanks for any advice, Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
If my information is accurate, the images in the *current* games are 480p, there is talk of 1080i games in the future, but we'll see.

HolySin

Oh, also I know all games designed for the GameCube have to be able to support 480p I assume the xbox is the same? (I.e. everything will be 480p or better)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by holysin
If my information is accurate, the images in the *current* games are 480p, there is talk of 1080i games in the future, but we'll see.

HolySin

Oh, also I know all games designed for the GameCube have to be able to support 480p I assume the xbox is the same? (I.e. everything will be 480p or better)
All X-Box games will support 480p.

There's always talk, but hopefully games will come out at higher resolutions in the future.

It's a matter of game publishers seeing it as a desired feature; sales of HD A/V packs will give publishers a very good idea of how many HD-equipped X-Box's are out there.

Go run out and buy a few thousand HD packs just to show 'em =)

·
Registered
85 Posts
There will be a hack soon that will enable DVD's to be viewed in HD on the X-Box

Following Programs are already released, and not by microsoft.

A group of software developers have created a Linux-based application using your PC and ethernet that claims to let you play multiplayer X-Box games over the Net:

The so-called Xbox Gateway program works like an Ethernet bridge by splitting up Xbox game data packets and delivering them to the right players. It requires each player to have an Xbox, a PC with a broadband connection, and system-link games such as Halo and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x.

According to the application's developers, head-to-head games between two players are generally lag-free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
 www.dcemulation.com will lead you to all you need to know about making your DC do things it wasn't built to do. Most recent i've created a disc with 300 NINTENDO games on it for my DC. Playing Super Mario Bros on a DC feels funny as does playing super monkey ball, one of segas first 3rd party games, on my gamecube!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The game Halo for XBox runs in 1080i w/the HDTV advanced A/V pack.

And it is way too cool to have the games put out Dolby Digital sound (also from the HDTV advanced A/V pack).

I've only tried two other games so far:

Azurik -- only seems to run in 480i.

Gotham Racing -- only seems to run in 480p, 4x3 aspect ratio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.