AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the official word from Microsoft has been on the DVD peripheral that the XBox will feature.

Specs? Is it gonna be any good?

I am having a difficult time finding info. on the XBox- even from Microsoft themselves.

I work for a major electronics retailer and have received the XBox Info/training kits- but they are extremely hazy when specifying DVD player info.

It seems that Microsoft is hell bent on glorifying its 733 MHZ processor (and a 210 MHZ GPU). Obviously it has dual processors.

Also- they are heavily promoting the idea that the system will have games in Dolby Digital 5.1- but i have yet to see DTS anywhere on any piece of literature they provided. Obviously the games will not be in DTS- but does it have a DTS output for DVD movies. I assume so- but i wish they could officially CONFIRM it.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
According to the XBOX website in the URL below, 480p, 720p, and 1080i are for game play only.

http://www.xbox.com/Hardware/adapter...tionavpack.htm

The XBOX has a built-in DD encoder. This means that games can generate 5.1 effects in realtime. No such encoder for DTS.

I hear there are games coming out in DTS, but it will not be able to generate sound effects realtime like DD.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Wow! Splattered alien guts in minimally lossy compression DTS....

Can life possibly get ANY better? :D

Hiya Stacey!

Regards,

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are you sure "NTSC only for DVD playback" doesn't mean that it won't support PAL? (i.e. progressive PAL). for DVDs?

The info at that site is a little non-specific.

Harlan

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Not being a computer owner till what Wayne (excel) told me to wait for the 378 upgradable sockets, to be available which I am doing. Is this X-box a computer with gaming or just the opposite?

This just not my area of knowledge I do have one, but it sure isn't this one.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I give the HTPC section of this forum about 15 minutes before they figure out a way to get 1080I and 720P DVD playback out of this bad boy. They have some smart SOB's in that area. I say we all pitch in for them a X-box and let them tweak it for a few days. :)

Kevin C. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Wow! Splattered alien guts in minimally lossy compression DTS....

Can life possibly get ANY better?
Yup. Splattered alien guts with no compression.

There is absolutely no reason that there should be DD in a console. This is a total marketing tatic.

Game consoles are more than powerful enough to have 6 channels of sound with no compression, using CD quality sampling.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Game consoles are more than powerful enough to have 6 channels of sound with no compression, using CD quality sampling.
And how would you play back this non-DD 6-channel mix? You would need a processor with 6-channel inputs and 6 cables. You can't transmit 6-channels of PCM across a single SPDIF. All current receivers and processors have optical inputs and can decode DD.

Quote:
I give the HTPC section of this forum about 15 minutes before they figure out a way to get 1080I and 720P DVD playback out of this bad boy.
Why would you want to scale 480i to 1080i? It would have interlaced and scaling artifacts. If you are going to watch interlaced video, may as well keep it in its native format.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Shazam,

Actually there is a reason to use compression, lossless or otherwise. 6 channels of CD quality audio is 4.3mb/sec which is roughly half of the available bandwidth off the DVD spindle.

Games are pretty intensive graphically, and I seriously doubt they can get by on ~ 5mb/sec.

Oh, and my comment was actually intended as humour, which is why I put the ;) after it.

Regards,

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... 95% of X-Box owners wouldn't be able to use it anyway. OTOH, in the gaming setups the ability to do DD 5.1 decoding is actually quite common.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds. MS is touting the Intel made 733 MHz processor, but a raw number means absolutely nothing when it comes down to actual gameplay as I'm sure most of you know. I worry a bit for MS since a few months back it released a few "screen grabs" of X-Box games which were very nice. Too bad they turned out to be Photoshopped mockups of what they thought some games MAY look like. :p Also it's important to note that competing companies have consoles with built-in DVD compatibility for no extra cost.

The bottom line is if you really are hell-bent on buying a gaming console with built-in DVD, wait until the dust settles in terms of both gaming and DVD compatibility, performance, and of course cost. Then make your decision. So what if you have to wait 2 extra weeks? :)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Actually there is a reason to use compression, lossless or otherwise. 6 channels of CD quality audio is 4.3mb/sec which is roughly half of the available bandwidth off the DVD spindle.
OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but the above doesn't make sense to me.

A) The XBox DVD drive is a 5X DVD, not 1X like (most) DVD players.

B) Most, if not all sound effects would have to be player generated, or at least played from memory from pre-recorded samples anyway, just like in a gaming PC. Any DVD drive would be far too slow to be of any use. Even a hard disk drive, which has a MUCH faster access time than any DVD, becomes a bottleneck in fast gaming systems. In other words, the DVD acts as the storage medium. Music may be played off of it, but sound effects would either be created by the XBox or else played from previously loaded samples. The gaming would not be dependent upon DVD speed either, since appropriate parts of the game would already be loaded into memory.

C) The actual memory interface is capable of 6.4 GB/sec. Much of that will be used up by the graphics engine, but if not much anti-aliasing is used by the game then there will be a lot of bandwidth left over for other usage. However, this may be irrelevant if music is transferred directly off the DVD anyway.

I don't claim to understand the technology (since I am not trained in computer type stuff), but it seems to me that the actual DVD data transfer bandwidth is irrelevant in this situtation, and would still probably be irrelevant even if it were 1X.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Has anybody seen any specifics on the High definition AV pack? From the pic posted on Microsofts site it looks like there are six RCA type jacks. Would 5 of them be for RGBHV and 1 for digital audio? If that is correct, what type of cable could you use to go from the 5 RCAs on the av pack to the 5 RCA style inputs on the back of my TV? I suppose that it could also be 3 component outputs, but then I don't know what they other three jacks are for.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Damn,

I'm spending too much time with consumer DVD players. Gotta remember about that multi-speed read feature ;-)

Regards,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.