AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty enticing: Have a look !
I want street dates now!


Excerpts:


"For instance, the Matrix trilogy will be coming out this year from WHV, Star Trek will be exclusive to HD DVD this year, Babel and The Good Shepherd. All in all there will be over 600 HD DVD titles by EOY."


"It is my understanding from the HD DVD group that it will be the feature films [Star Trek]"


"Universal announced "The Good Shepherd" and "Babel" They have a slew of titles that will be coming out in 2007. I have seen the list and it is very impressive, so there is nothing bad going on with Universal. you will be happy with what will happen in 2007!"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,488 Posts
So let's pretend for a second that what I've said is true, that 150 titles will be slowly released throughout the year.


So far 13 titles have been released or announced for January. Either, by your theory, the other 387 titles are coming in the months ahead, marking a huge uptick in releases, or 13 per month is the average.


Let's add up the numbers shall we?


13 times 12 equals.....156! WOW, now ain't THAT a koinki-dink!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0


I'm thinking there's going to be enough movies to keep me happy this year. Period.


Well said. Enough of the sky is falling bs. HD DVD is not dead, BD is on its heels in hardware so its making wild announcements (their usual) on software.


Frankly, they've delayed a good deal of their software indefinitely like Glory so whatever announcements they make I take a "wait and see" approach anyways.


At least with HD DVD, when its announced, its coming. Its just waiting until its announced that gets annoying.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceflow /forum/post/0


Well said. Enough of the sky is falling bs. HD DVD is not dead, BD is on its heels in hardware so its making wild announcements (their usual) on software.


Frankly, they've delayed a good deal of their software indefinitely like Glory so whatever announcements they make I take a "wait and see" approach anyways.


At least with HD DVD, when its announced, its coming. Its just waiting until its announced that gets annoying.

You mean like Poseidon? And Digital Video Essentials? And the BCI titles? And Chronos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
I was hoping for more title info, but some decent tidbits...however, Paramount announced Babel, not Universal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
There's just a bunch of control freaks on this board that somehow think that complaining about the lack of information is helpful and that somehow the movies aren't in fact coming. If Universal and others state 300 movies are coming THEY are the definitive source not some bloke on AVS blowing steam.


R-E-L-A-X
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0


So let's pretend for a second that what I've said is true, that 150 titles will be slowly released throughout the year.


So far 13 titles have been released or announced for January. Either, by your theory, the other 387 titles are coming in the months ahead, marking a huge uptick in releases, or 13 per month is the average.


Let's add up the numbers shall we?


13 times 12 equals.....156! WOW, now ain't THAT a koinki-dink!

Fett, here is one way to do the math, if you want to make your estimation somewhat scientific.


Plot the number of HD DVD titles released last year for each Q. The key would be the # of titles in Q4, since that is a good baseline to use for 2007 estimation.


- Now assume that the number of titles released last Q4 would be the benchmark for titles in Q1 and Q2 of this year.


- Then for Q3 and Q4, try and factor in the growth rate since studios will tend to release more closer to the holidays. You can use the growth rate of last year, but discount it by 50% since one can assume that the growth rate this year will be lower than last year.


To summarize:


Total HD DVD titles available in 2007 =


1. Q1 = # of titles released in Q4 2006

2. Q2 = # of titles released in Q4 2006

3. Q3 = (#of titles released in Q4 2006)(1 + .5*(#Q3 '06 - #Q2'06)/#Q2))

4. Q4 = (# of titles released in Q4 2006) (1 + .5(#Q4'06 - #Q3'06)/Q3))


1+2+3+4 = Total titles in 2007!


Just an idea
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0


There's just a bunch of control freaks on this board that somehow think that complaining about the lack of information is helpful and that somehow the movies aren't in fact coming. If Universal and others state 300 movies are coming THEY are the definitive source not some bloke on AVS blowing steam.


R-E-L-A-X

NOBODY has said they WEREN'T coming. As they say in their press release, those titles will be the total WORLDWIDE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0


So let's pretend for a second that what I've said is true, that 150 titles will be slowly released throughout the year.


So far 13 titles have been released or announced for January. Either, by your theory, the other 387 titles are coming in the months ahead, marking a huge uptick in releases, or 13 per month is the average.


Let's add up the numbers shall we?


13 times 12 equals.....156! WOW, now ain't THAT a koinki-dink!

except, there will be 300 titles released this year.

J
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0


Then what's the issue here? If they're coming then we only need wait for release dates.

Because some people want to believe that 600 HD DVDs are being released in the US alone this year!


And Plazman, I don't know how you figure Q4 of last year should equal Q1 of this year, especially with the unimpressive slate so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0


This is AV-Science forum. You need to provide better analysis. JMHO.

Exactly.


Can't people understand that studios release movies WITHOUT announcing them months ahead of schedule? Lots of movies on both sides were released last year some with only a few weeks notice.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/0


Exactly.


Can't people understand that studios release movies WITHOUT announcing them months ahead of schedule? Lots of movies on both sides were released last year some with only a few weeks notice.

Has anyone even remotely challenged that? What do you think, that because we don't have the schedule for the entire year that I'm claiming only the announced titles are going to be released?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,521 Posts
Fettastic while I appreciate all the work you've done on the tier thread here it really seems like you have become a negative ninny about HD-DVD. The titles are either coming or they aren't HD-DVD will either survive or it won't no reason to be so overly negative about it all the time now.


If HD-DVD dropped dead as of today I would still have my 40 + HD-DVD's that I enjoy very much plus at least 20 out right now I will end up buying.




"INCLUDING ALL FOREIGN RELEASES!"


Seeing as HD-DVD is region free and there is no more PAL\\NTSC issues, most foreign releases are completely accessible to the majority of us.


I already have 3 imported titles plus right now about 5-6 more I'd like to buy.
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top