AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, AVS'ers... I'm in the process of spec'ing out some components for an overhaul of my current HT system. The items I'm most interested in procuring are the Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver and some set of complementary speakers.

Assuming that I've made the right decision on the V2400, I'm completely stumped on the best bang for the buck on speakers that will compliment my shiny new receiver. To help guide me, here are the things that I would be doing with these speakers:

1. Watching DVD movies...really loudly... ;)

2. Watching HD/SD/Satellite television (Hughes HD-DVR250, whenever it gets here)

3. Listening to audio sourced from the radio, CD player, MP3 server, and DJ equipment (2 x Numark TT-X1 Turntables, 1 x Denon DN-S3000 CD/MP3 Turntable, mixed with a Numark DM-1295 Mixer - I know, I need an SPDIF-capable mixer...)

3a. In terms of the DJ setup, I'd really like to create enough volume to create a club atmosphere in my basement - loud and bassy with headroom

While I'm certainly not opposed to large tower speakers, smaller speakers would be nice to save on space.

Here's the rub: I need to get all of the speaker components for something in the neighborhood of $1000. Spending much more than that will definitely result in decapitation by my wife... ;)

Thanks all for your advice and comments... :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to bump my own thread, but I am really anxious to get some expert advice/feedback from you folks. Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
so you want 8 pieces of speakers (7 speakers + sub) for under 1k... and you also want it to be able to create a club atmosphere??

eer you're kinda asking for something too much from us there...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's assume that my price point is more flexible than I originally thought. Also, after doing some reading, I'm thinking I'd favor tower mains as opposed to bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been reading over at AudioReview.com (anyone have any opinions on the opinions offered over there?), and have identified a few speaker manufacturers that make gear that appears to be in or close to my budget range. I'd also appreciate any feedback you folks might have on these initial effort selections:

I. Main Speakers

A. Axiom Mx0ti (I wish I could afford the $1100/pair M80ti)

B. Ascend CBM-170

C. JBL S36 (Studio Series, but I also wonder about some of the other models like the HT-4V and the Northridge E100CH)

II. Center Speakers

A. Axiom VP-150

B. JBL S-Center (though, again, I like the HT and Northridge Series as well)

III. Surround Speakers (can't seem to find any definitive review data specifically for surrounds, but here are some that I found that looked pretty okay)

A. Polk FXi5

B. Bose 161

C. Axiom QS8

IV. Subwoofers (tube vs. box? what are the advantages either way?)

A. SVS 20-39PCi

B. HSU VTF-3 MK 2

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Well the Subs you listed will both perform great, but they won't leave you much else to spend on the rest of the setup. The ELT setup is supposed to be great, includes a sub but is a 5.1 setup. I say buy the best you can afford and piece it together over time. If you get the SVS or HSU those will fit your needs for a long time, then save a little and buy some fronts or a good center and build that way. Otherwise you will be upgrading again in the near future.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by richardkaufmann
How big is your room?!
Actually fairly large. The room in question is an elongated room in the basement with 9' ceilings. The TV will be on the short wall of the rectangle that is approximately 12' in length. The sides of the rectangle are pretty long, approaching 20' and the back of the rectangle opposite the short side is open to a hallway that exits stage right. The room is also floored with hardwood, which I'm sure will also impact the acoustics considerably, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by marjen
Well the Subs you listed will both perform great, but they won't leave you much else to spend on the rest of the setup. The ELT setup is supposed to be great, includes a sub but is a 5.1 setup. I say buy the best you can afford and piece it together over time. If you get the SVS or HSU those will fit your needs for a long time, then save a little and buy some fronts or a good center and build that way. Otherwise you will be upgrading again in the near future.
I'm discovering that in order to achieve my own personal audio nirvana that $1k ain't gonna cover me. If I tally up the components that I've looked at (that haven't made me gulp or gag), the total budget is higher than I'd/we'd like, but I think it can be socially engineered.

Sub (single): $500-$800

Main (pair): $500-$800

Center (single): $300-$500

Surround (2 pair): $500-$800

That puts me between $1800 and just under $3000. Obviously the lower the number in that range, the better off things will be, but there are boundaries that I'm willing to bend in the pursuit of the killer solution... In other words, don't let my inane budgetary restrictions quash your imagination... ;) If you had $2200 (+/- $500) to blow on a killer setup, what would you buy? I'm sure there are some fantastic brands out there that I haven't even considered that would fit into my price range...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check out Paradigm.

Between $2K and $3K you can get a system with some nice towers and a big 400W sub. In the midrange pricing, paradigm will hang with anyone else. See this link for prepackaged system pricing. You should be able to get 10-15% off these prices from your dealer. Go with performance series to save money, monitor series for better but smaller sound.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...e/systems.html

·
Registered
344 Posts
In Paradigm I would go with Phantoms in front, Titans for surround, cc270 in the center and the DLP 12 inch sub. That would rock for just over $2K. This series plays loud for little $.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I personally have 4 JBL S36II speakers. I reccomend them especially if you can get them cheap...Best Buy was selling them for $200/pair a week ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh...you will also want a sub...I have the HSU VTF-2...In my large living room, I don't even dare turn up the volume past 1/2 way...it might bring down the house LOL

HSU is selling it for $450 shipped.

·
Registered
553 Posts
6 Athena ASB1s $540 BB and a HSU STF 2 or Rava sub for $399..I think the center can had for $179..Go have a listen to the Athenas at BB...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I visited my local Myer-Emco today and auditioned some of the speakers that they have available there. They carry both B&W and Definitive speakers there, and, I must say, that I was mightily impressed with some of the towers from Definitive. I was less impressed with the B&W entry level stuff as it seemed to artificially inflate mid-range, something I for one have little to no tolerance for... Anyway, I picked out a setup that I'm very pleased with in terms of sound quality, range, and price and thought I would share that with you guys...

Main: 2 x Definitive BP2004TL ($1199/pair - clearance)

Center: Definitive C/L/R 2300 ($561)

Surround: 4 x Definitive BP1.2X ($640/four)

I listened to several subwoofers but was unable to find one with which I was satisfied. The B&W, Definitive, and Boston Acoustics models on display were pretty much identical in terms of their ability to produce loud and rumbling bass, but I found them to be borderline distorted in delivery and to have a very round sound envelope. They had a Velodyne SBL 10" sub with which I was extremely surprised. It was extraordinary in terms of tightness of sound but, unfortunately lacked the slam-you-in-the-chest punch that you get from a larger sub... Also, I was somewhat surprised that this little sub would carry a $1200 price tag...yikes...

I only wish I could sample the Axiom and Asperion lines in person prior to buying the Definitive speakers. I'm also concerned now that the HSU and/or SVS subs that I've picked out might not meet with my expectations. Anyone care to offer guidance and/or the use of their home theatre in the DC metro area for checking out their gear? ;)

Thanks for all your advice and assistance so far, folks... keep the good ideas coming... :-D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 403forbidden
I personally have 4 JBL S36II speakers. I reccomend them especially if you can get them cheap...Best Buy was selling them for $200/pair a week ago.
The price on these (still selling most places for $500/pair) just dropped again, by 25%. Better hurry if you're interested!

Edit: At this price, I'd suggest you seriously consider buying 4 of the excellent JBL S36II speakers as surrounds in a 7.1 setup. That'd save you $200 off the bottom of your surround budget range (and $340 off the price of the Definitive surrounds you're currently considering), giving you a little more flexibility on the sub/mains.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.