AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Samsung LN52A650 and am looking for a mid-range audio setup for it.

I have no receiver yet, but after doing some research on the forum the receiver is not as important as the quality of the speakers, so I'm going to focus on speakers first.

I was thinking of the following:

FL/FR: Infinity Beta 40 BK

RL/RR: Infinity Beta 20 BK

I am not sure about a center channel or sub ...

- George

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Infinity Beta C250/C360 for the center channel for them to be timbre-matched.

As for subs, HSU, SVS, eD are highly regarded in this forum.

It would also help if you mention your budget.

EDIT: Also go for the Beta 50s for your fronts if budget permits. I don't think the prices are that far apart between the 40s and the 50s. You'd get lower bass from the 8" woofers of the 50s.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/14337116

Infinity Beta C250/C360 for the center channel for them to be timbre-matched.

As for subs, HSU, SVS, eD are highly regarded in this forum.

It would also help if you mention your budget.

EDIT: Also go for the Beta 50s for your fronts if budget permits. I don't think the prices are that far apart between the 40s and the 50s. You'd get lower bass from the 8" woofers of the 50s.

thanks for the suggestions!

I don't really have a budget per-say, just trying to get a decent setup without anything ridiculously high end.

The problem I'm having with the Beta 40/50s is that I can't find them from a reputable place. Most people seem to like vanns here but they don't carry either.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Starting with a budget would be helpful.

I would not consider the Infinity's to be mid range.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yeah come up with a budget. There are folks on this forum that believe mid range doesn't start until your over $10,000 a pair and there are folks that think $1,000 a pair is mid range. I'm of the latter group.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
BETA 50s @ $360 each shipped. (From *******)

BETA 20s @ $110 each shipped. ( http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search )

BETA C360 @ $200 shipped. ( http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search )

Subtotal for BETAs, $1,140.

Then you can get an eD A2-300 (Total would then be $1,455) with the remaining money or an eD A3-300 (Total would then be $1,615) if you can stretch your budget a little bit.

If you like the Primus line of Infinity, you can get their P362s for $99 each from Fry's during clearance/sales. With that, you can even use floorstanders for your surrounds if you have the space. Or you can even go for 7.1 speakers.

Mid-range is subjective and is usually best qualified by your own ears. Personally, I consider satellite speaker systems or HTIBs as low-range. Anything above that and I would consider it mid-range already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/14339508

BETA 50s @ $360 each shipped. (From *******)

BETA 20s @ $110 each shipped. ( http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search )

BETA C360 @ $200 shipped. ( http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search )

Subtotal for BETAs, $1,140.

Then you can get an eD A2-300 (Total would then be $1,455) with the remaining money or an eD A3-300 (Total would then be $1,615) if you can stretch your budget a little bit.

If you like the Primus line of Infinity, you can get their P362s for $99 each from Fry's during clearance/sales. With that, you can even use floorstanders for your surrounds if you have the space. Or you can even go for 7.1 speakers.

Mid-range is subjective and is usually best qualified by your own ears. Personally, I consider satellite speaker systems or HTIBs as low-range. Anything above that and I would consider it mid-range already.

thanks for the help and suggestions!

have you listened to both the primus and beta line? if so, which do you prefer? floorstanders are not a big issue, i could wall mount them or put them on a table, or something!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
@gnychis

I'm actually gonna be auditioning the Primus line tomorrow. PC350 + P362 + P162. I auditioned some Wharfedales today and didn't like how they sounded.

I based my recommendations based on your current brand preference which is Infinity. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you live near Frys, the Infinity Primus 362 are constantly on sale for $99/each. With that sale it's hard to beat. For that price alone was enough for me to go ahead and get myself 4 of them.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you dont mind ID you may want to consider buying the swan d2.1se all the way around. A pair is on sale for $499 at theaudioinsider.com. I think you may be able to get them to break up a pair if you want 5 speakers otherwise 1500 for 6 speakers. That still is a bit over your budget with a sub but these are supposed to be awsome speakers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/14349570

If you live near Frys, the Infinity Primus 362 are constantly on sale for $99/each. With that sale it's hard to beat. For that price alone was enough for me to go ahead and get myself 4 of them.

There are no Frys anywhere near me unfortunately
Maybe I have some family somewhere that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/14349197

@gnychis

I'm actually gonna be auditioning the Primus line tomorrow. PC350 + P362 + P162. I auditioned some Wharfedales today and didn't like how they sounded.

I based my recommendations based on your current brand preference which is Infinity. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions, please keep me updated!

How is the Primus line supposed to compare to the Beta line?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I believe the Beta line is superior compared to the Primus, based on their prices.

I would love to hear a Beta setup but they are unfortunately on order only here (Philippines). And they're way too expensive. Pair of P362s cost $526 while a pair of Beta 50s are $1066. I go to the US from time to time but I certainly would not be able to bring back home those $99 P362s.

Will update you tomorrow! I will be listening to the Primus line without a subwoofer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/14352981

I believe the Beta line is superior compared to the Primus, based on their prices.

I didn't want to make this assumption

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'd reccommend a Focal Sibsysb package and a Yammy RXV663. $1500.00 to get you there. Extra for interconnects and wire. You might consider a good universal remote to run everything.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Auditioned the Primus PC350 + P362s today. I really liked how the highs sounded, it was forward and sharp (which may not be to some people's liking). Bass/mid-bass was present and packed quite a punch.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You can also try looking at the JBL Studio L Series.

LC2 + L890 + L820

LC1 + L880 + L820

Here's a review of the JBL Studio L880 Floorstanding Speaker by Stereophile.

The L890 would have lower bass extension due to the 2" increase in woofer size (from 6" to 8").

EDIT: You can also look at ID brands such as SVS and AV123.

=====

AV123 has an EL525 introductory special which includes a 90w x 7 name brand receiver. ($1,699)

http://**********/component/page,shop...k,1/Itemid,37/

or 2 pairs X-MTM floorstanders ($299/pr) + X-CS center ($89)

I think AV123 does not include shipping with their prices.

=====

SVS has their SBS-01 and SCS-01 line. You can either go with 2 pairs of SBS-01 plus a SCS-01 center ($599 + shipping) or go all identical with having all SCS-01 all throughout ($925 + shipping).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts