AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have small satellite speakers (Athena Micra 6 set) and I am looking for a new sub to replace the one that came with the package. Since my speakers are so small I really need a sub that really sounds good from 150hz on down since I have to set a high crossover with these speakers. What is the best sub for these ranges or do all of the ID subs have a good midrange as well?

Thanks for any help in advance .

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural /forum/post/12972129

...I really need a sub that really sounds good from 150hz on down since I have to set a high crossover with these speakers. What is the best sub for these ranges...

I always rely on reviewers who use test equipment. Unfortunately for you, when reviewers test subwoofers, they generally focus on how flat and how low a response. When they do test how well the reviewed sub melds into their mains, they would never use so high a freq, which is well into the locatable frequencies, and is double the crossover freq that most use.

Since "fast" bass seems to be something of a myth, I don't see a problem with using a large driver (12 or bigger) which can handle low freq as well as the higher bass freq. normally relegated to the mains.

·
Registered
750 Posts
ACI Force or ACI Titan would do the trick.

I am sure there are others as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
SVS PB10-NSD: +/- 3dB from 20-100 Hz, but has good extension to 200 Hz

SVS SB12+: +/- 3dB from 22-150 Hz

I have both of these with Gallo satellites, and they blend in well.

Another option is the Orb Super 8 or Uber 10, which are designed to work with their satellites, and should work well with others.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. For under $300, the only great option is the Bic-H100. Between $350-$400, the best option is the eD A2-300. If you can swing $600 I would go with the Epik Knight or the eD A3-300. When all said and done, for the price, the Epik Knight cannot be beat.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/12975419

Depends on what you want to spend. For under $300, the only great option is the Bic-H100. Between $350-$400, the best option is the eD A2-300. If you can swing $600 I would go with the Epik Knight or the eD A3-300. When all said and done, for the price, the Epik Knight cannot be beat.

I don't think the Knight is linear to 150hz

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural /forum/post/12978768

Seems as though the SVS and the Knight are the only high quality subs that go up to 200? [$1k price range]

Maybe consider something like an HSU mbm-12 in combination with another sub. I'm not sure there's a whole lot out there that will play cleanly up to 150-200Hz and still give decent extension (though the specs that were shown above for the SVS looked like they might be a nice fit).

Scott

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi /forum/post/12978255

neither eD subs

Damn, my mistake. :p (it makes me cringe thinking about a nice sub running at anything over 80hz)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well if your going for a woofer instead of a subwoofer. You might do a search for the yamaha YST-SW160 and the YST-sw305. The both use dual 8inch spruce drivers the 160 is a 150 watts and the 305 is 200 watts. The 8inch drivers will probly be a better match to your small front speakers and the crossover can be set to 140Hz. They also utilize some kinda servo driver circuitry(not sure what that really does for you)in the amplifier. I have heard both of these subwoofers and thought that for there foot print they can't be beat. Both will go down to about 30Hz F3 or 25hz -6db.

I would seriously consider them if i wasn't building my own isobaric 15" sub 7.5cuft ported at 21.4Hz. I'm about to not be very popular in my neighborhood.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hopefully this guy has already bought his sub by now... but if not a HSU MBM-12 with any of the subs mentioned would be ideal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts