AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a connectivity question. A few months ago I replaced my old tv, receiver, and surround sound with all new components. That set up is working fine.

My wife wants me to move the old system into the master bedroom. Okay, here is my issue. I have a regular analogue tv, onkyo tx-sv525 receiver, 5 speakers, dvd, and cd player.

The cd and dvd player are hooked up and work fine. My problem is I am getting no sound through the receiver from the tv signal. I do not have a vcr or cable box in the bedroom. The tv is connected via coaxial cable directly to the wall jack. Is it possible to hook up the tv video and audio directly to the receiver or will I need to get a cable box or vcr to use as a tuner?

BTW, on the back of the TV there is a Video 1 and Video 2 audio and video inputs, plus abother stand alone audio output. (regular yellow, white, and red connections).

There is only 1 video output but it is a coaxial cable, obviously my receiver doesn't have that kind of connector.

Sorry, I know this is not as exciting as the new stuff but it will make my wife happy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If the tv has audio out rca jacks then it will output audio.

Go into the tv menu and make sure the output is enabled. It may offer a choice for fixed or variable. If it does set it to fixed. If it doesn't then look at the tv manual and see if it's a variable output. If it is variable then you will have to adjust the volume with the tv remote. If you can set it to fixed then your receiver can control the volume.

It's also possible that you will have to disable the internal tv speaker to enable the audio out on the rear panel. It all really depends on the tv.

If after ensuring the audio output is enabled it still doesn't work then the problem is with the tv.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jgiddyup. I switched the speakers on/off switch on the back of the tv to off and that sort of solved the problem. I think the issue is with the tv, for example, if the tv volume is all the way down (which is how I was testing it earlier today) it doesn't matter how high I turn up the receiver volume there is no sound. However, when I turn the tv volume up to like 30, turning up the receiver volume increases the sound even more, like the tv sound and receiver sound are working in tandem. Weird. Anyway, not perfect but I can live with it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That tells me that the output on the back is variable Ruiz and like you said it's an inconvenience but you'll have to live with it.

I've never understood why TV manufacturers only included a variable output(I have one like that).

Oh well enjoy anyway.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have always assumed the variable output option is so you can hook a TV up to a receiver and adjust the volume from the TV.

I would guess it sounds awful that way when its output fairly low voltages to the preamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.