AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do. I bought it not too long ago (feb) and it is the first sub I've ever owned. The problem is that it has so much trouble filling the room I'm in (21' x 15' x 12'). I realize I have two options: either by another one to even out the room response, or just sell it and buy a legit subwoofer. Right now, the Sub 10 is out of stock at Emotiva's website, and I don't know how I feel about pairing my 10 with an Emo Sub 12. I also feel like even in the good spots (my sub placed is in a corner), its lacking some of the OOMPH that some music I listen to has (Big Boi/Outkast, heavy bass electronic music). What would you do in my situation? Would doubling up give this oomph im looking for, or should i just cut my losses and get a proper sub (SVS, Rythmik) to do what I need it to do?

A little bit more info: this will be 100% for music listening, and while I tend to listen to a lot of this heavy bass electronic music recently, I also still like a lot of rock (classic, indie,), and some classical and jazz on the occasion. Let me know if there's any more info you would need to best help me! And while I'm definitely on a budget, I realize now that you need to spend GOOD MONEY to get something that wont leave you wanting more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say about $1000 as my budget cap, but the way i look at it, I might even be flexible enough to go past that if that what it'll take to be completely satisfied. But I think theres plenty of subs with high enough output while remaining articulate below that price point so I'd much rather keep it lower.

As far as duals go, do you mean having two ultra sub 10s? That's the other option i'm considering. It'll either be a second sub 10 or a new sub altogether.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You might consider a pair of Epik Legends. That will give you four twelve inch speakers pumping out bass. They have been getting very good reviews for both music and HT.

Bill C

·
Registered
572 Posts
I can understand your dilemma. Any single 10" sub would have a difficult time filling a 3,780 cubic foot room (to any degree of satisfaction) with the type of music you're citing.

I would seriously consider "dual" Epik Legends. SVS makes some great subs (and I've owned several of them) but to me, are better suited for HT more so than music. Rhythmic seems to make fantastic sealed subs with a very good following. I have no experience with them, so I cannot comment with any validity as to their performance.

The Emotiva Ultra 12 are also fantastic subs, but for only $101 more (plus shipping... which "may" make the price difference substantially more), the Legends would more likely be a better choice for your room. They are $899 per pair ("introductory" price) plus shipping. However, considering the cost associated with shipping the Legends, the Ultra 12's (which at $798 per pair - shipped) are no slouch and are also very musical subs.

BTW, I think the Ultra 10's are "unofficially" discontinued. Emotiva is working on a completely new line of subwoofers which "should" be available this fall. This will be their "X-Reference" series...

I use dual Epik "Valor(s)" and I can vouch for their "musicality". Epik designs a very tight, very fast driver nested within a very well designed, sealed, enclosure which makes them "ideal" for music.

Since your usage will be 100% music, DO stick with sealed subs. Ported subs do have lower extension (which is great for HT) but give up musicality as a result. There are some ported subs that preform "well" with music, but for your use, any "trade off" would be simply a trade off...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but let me just clarify a bit more:

The two options I was considering was either getting:

- another Sub 10 so I would have double of these going

or

- ONE really nice subwoofer, which I would be willing to spend a decent amount of money on so I don't have to go through this again, and possibly get a second one of these really nice subwoofers 5 years down the line.

I'm definitely leaning more to the second option, of buying 1 really nice subwoofer.

Kesando, I noticed you suggested some ported subs- do you think this would be a good idea even though I will only be using it for music?

What are the differences between the subwoofers listed so far:

Outlaw LFM-1 Plus

Epic Legend

HSU VTF-2 MK3

Rythmik FV12

Also, what's the general consensus on the Rythmik F15 sealed?

All of these options are so overwhelming! Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For music, I was recommended Hsu, or if I could afford it, Rythmik.

I was on a budget and got a Hsu and I really like it, don't get me wrong, it's a huge improvement over my previous sub, but if I had a bigger budget and it was only going to be for music use, I'd get a Rythmik in a heartbeat. I heard the sealed version of Rythmik 15" and it was very good for music, in fact, it blended so well with the mains, which were very fast bookshelf speakers, that I had a hard time telling them apart. The timing on the Rythmiks, with is servo technology, are very amazing. (I still might get a Rythmik vented instead of sealed in the future for my HT system).

For your room, though, if you can only buy one right now, you could consider the Rhythmik F25 which has dual 15" drivers, but it's $1299.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My room is slightly smaller than yours and the guys from Rythmik recommended an F15HP (high power). It was out of stock so I went with an E15 (compact version of the F15HP) and it's excellent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I've been doing more research and here's where I'm at now:

It seems like Epik Legend/Outlaw LMF-1 plus/Hsu vtf-2 mk3 are all very similar, so which of these would do best for music listening, and can balance heavy bass electronic music with tightness for rock music? Again, no home theater use.

The only other option I would consider at this point is the Rythmik F12, since the F15 is just too much. My only concern with this is that it won't be able to handle the low notes in electronic music for my apartment size as noted in the first post. What do you think?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Still considering that you will be using this sub for 100% music listening, I, personally, would only consider the "sealed" Epik Legend or the Rhythmic F12, but somewhat favoring the Epik Legend.

The Legend utilizes two 12" drivers in an opposing, side mounted, "Parallel Drive" configuration. This gives you both the "quickness" of a 12" driver while achieving the effective mass of an 18".

You should have no problem attaining both the musicality and the "slam" you're looking for with the Legend.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal432 /forum/post/20795540

Thanks for the suggestions, but let me just clarify a bit more:

The two options I was considering was either getting:

- another Sub 10 so I would have double of these going

or

- ONE really nice subwoofer, which I would be willing to spend a decent amount of money on so I don't have to go through this again, and possibly get a second one of these really nice subwoofers 5 years down the line.

I'm definitely leaning more to the second option, of buying 1 really nice subwoofer.

Kesando, I noticed you suggested some ported subs- do you think this would be a good idea even though I will only be using it for music?

What are the differences between the subwoofers listed so far:

Outlaw LFM-1 Plus

Epic Legend

HSU VTF-2 MK3

Rythmik FV12

Also, what's the general consensus on the Rythmik F15 sealed?

All of these options are so overwhelming! Any help would be appreciated.

All ported subs were not created equal. My SVS PB12 plus for example has been very musical but I had to work on proper placement/calibration to get it there. It blends suprisingly well with my mains as well as a pair of stacked SB12nsd sealed subs that I also have in my main system. I suspect that you couldn't go wrong with any of the four subs listed as they will all sound wonderful with music. My reason for choosing the FV12 is that I am wondering if a single Rythmik F12 would have enough output for your overall taste of music. If your budget is around $1000, I would stick with a pair of the ported options from HSU/Outlaw and Rythmik or sealed Epik Legends.

Or you could go the single sub route and get the Sealed Epik Empire or ported HSU VTF-15 and add a second later. If you want to spend even more then you can check out the larger sealed and ported Rythmik and SVsound subs.

BTW have you considered Chase Home Theater?

http://www.chasehometheater.com/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm really close to getting the Epik Legend. Is there anyone who thinks that I should strongly consider something else at this point for what would best serve my uses?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts