AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few disappointing years with a Bose Lifestyle system, I'm finally transitioning to a real system. I'd like to do it in stages, however.

Is it possible to use the Bose Lifestyle speaker system with a real AV receiver? The sub has incompatible plugs, and I've heard it does some funky things to accommodate for the satellite cubes. If they could be used for a while, however, it would save me a lot of time, grief, and money in the short term.

Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
? (as in, why? and, 'I don't know the actual answer')

Um, rip the band-aid off completely. Buy new speakers. Sell the Bose system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, I can't say you're wrong (you probably are right) or that I hadn't thought of that (I did), or that I didn't expect someone to post along those lines.

But I'm still hopeful someone might have done this before and can shed light on their experience.

Thanks!

·
Registered
871 Posts
No you really can't sorry to say dump it all and start building a system slowly do what you should have done a long time ago, invest in a good receiver and then main front left and right speakers and then build from there. Forget about using those cheapo little paper speakers that bose peddles.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
If it were me in your predicament, I'd put the Bose up for sale locally and wait for some sucker to come along and buy it. Trust me, there are loads of people looking to buy them used because they are so 'high end expensive'.

Next hotfoot it down to the local audio retailer and pick up the nice receiver and pair of speakers that you've already decided on, take them home and don't look back.

Add to your setup as money will allow.

Why try to scab together a hybrid system?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Ya, I doubt you will be able to mix and match. Bose uses so much proprietary crap that it makes me sick. I went to do an install on someone's sound system and I didn't find out until I got there that it was a Bose (I do this on the side). Bose uses proprietary ends to connect the receiver and speaker and there was no way I could do a surround sound setup with those short cables they put in there.

I told him he could either buy new cables or get a different system. I'm pretty sure he he got a new system.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Bose is only good for resale value.

My suggestion is to start with a receiver that has 7.1 and HD audio decoding. This is to future proof yourself. Majority is about 100w per channel. Some decent front left and right speakers to start with.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad /forum/post/15456629

Is it possible to use the Bose Lifestyle speaker system with a real AV receiver? The sub has incompatible plugs, and I've heard it does some funky things to accommodate for the satellite cubes. If they could be used for a while, however, it would save me a lot of time, grief, and money in the short term.

Thanks!

The preamp is in the control module and the power to drive the speakers from the bass module. You may be able to feed a line level signal into the bass module but have no control from other receiver I believe.

Why wouldn't you want to sell the whole thing intact on eBay or other as stated ? If it functions, you're way ahead of the game financially. Separated, it isn't worth poob ! ($$$wise)

These things are $4,000 new....you'll take a loss, but not the entire $4k you would if separated.

Besides, the speakers are the weakest link in the system IMO. The preamp and hard drive would serve you better than keeping the speakers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts