AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a Stream Magic 6 to replace my Azur 640H. I have copied the music from the 640H (in Wav format) to my WD Mybook Live NAS which uses a Twonky Server. The 640H typically stored ripped files in wav format, with subfolders for each artist and then for each album. Within the album folder would be the wav files, an attributes file and the album art file.

While I can find and play all of the music that I moved over, I am not seeing the album art I had established on the 640H. Also, I have to drop down a folder to get at the music on playback. This is not the case for the few files I had encoded in MP4 format as I can see the album art and album details right away when I use my steam magic iPad app.

I am thinking this may be due to metadata limitations with wav files. I tried retagging using media monkey but its still not working.

Has anyone migrated their music collection as such? What advice do you have regarding reestablishing my music library? I am contemplating converting all wav files to FLAC and finding software to quickly and easily retag metadata with album art. If someone has already done this or used a more efficient process, I would appreciate your advice as it could save me a lot of time. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofKingston  /t/1420634/migrating-music-library-from-cambridge-azur-640h-to-stream-magic-6#post_22226519

. . . I am thinking this may be due to metadata limitations with wav files. I tried retagging using media monkey but its still not working.
Yes, that is the issue. Tagging is poorly supported in WAV files. WAV is simply too old.

Quote:
. . . I am contemplating converting all wav files to FLAC and finding software to quickly and easily retag metadata with album art.
In my opinion, FLAC is the way to go. It is more widely supported now than WAV is. Its support for metadata is better than other formats. And you recover half of your storage space with no loss in quality.

I use a free program, MP3Tag to tag my FLAC files.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts