AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to thank everyone here for the abundance of helpful information on this forum. I've successfully upgraded the HD on one of my two UTV boxes to a WD1200BB, and I drew the courage necessary to take the plunge from this forum’s many happy 120GB posters. I've been a lurker for about a year, and I decided the time had come to make a (potential) contribution.

I was giving thought to the "pull the cable" trick, wherein the UTV is powered up and allowed to send the ATA security code to unlock the drive, after which the IDE cable is pulled and the drive is plugged into a PC. I have heard that Windows XP can detect the drive after you have booted into the OS, but this could also be attempted by hitting the Pause key during POST.

It seems like it would be possible to do the following: First, access the original 40GB HD this way so that the data on the old drive (with its many precious recordings) is accessible. Once you have done this, install the new HD in the UTV and allow the OS to install over the phone line (twiddling your thumbs for a quite a while, of course). Once the OS has installed and everything is working, use the same IDE cable pull trick to get the second drive onto the PC (note that since the UTV requires that the drive be set as master, you would need to have a secondary IDE controller to pull this off). You should now be able to access the data on both drives and (more importantly) copy data from one drive to the other (?).

I haven't tried this yet (or even tried accessing a UTV drive for that matter…I thought about it on my way to work this morning), so I haven't seen what the file structure looks like, but it seems it would be possible. Can anyone offer any insight into the drive's file structure? I admit I haven't dug too deeply, but have the required files all been identified (video, audio (if separate), configuration (not really required), history…etc)? Would it be possible to simply overwrite all of the files, thus guaranteeing that the disk’s full contents are duplicated?

Anyone have any thoughts? I plan on experimenting this weekend, but I doubt I’ll be able to do anything more than browse the contents of a current UTV drive (need to get some $$$ together to get another 120). If anyone out there was planning to do an upgrade anyway, consider giving this a shot (the worst case scenario is you’ll have to download the UTV OS a second time).

Thanks for all the help everyone’s given me. I hope I’ve done the same for a few of you.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't think this will work exactly as you have it written (but then again, I'm not clear on some of your points) ... however, the gist of your idea has already been attempted and successfully reported. Search for postings by BlueCop. He powered up a UTV with a functional drive, unpluged the IDE cable, and then plugged it into a PC (all the while maintaining power to the drive). He was able (after some detective work) to access the various partitions and the data on the drive.

(Some of his posting may have been removed by the moderator, but you should still be able to find links to his new discussion area on dealdatabase.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, TexasJames! I just did a search on all of BlueCop's posts (many of which you appeared to take an active part ;-) ), and it looks like I've got a few nights of reading to do so I can catch up.

For clarification, my idea would eventually involve having two UTV formatted HDs in your PC...the original would be connected prior to the upgrade and the new drive (presumably a larger drive) would be connected once the upgrade was complete. The fact that both drives have to be set as master requires that they each have their own IDE channel (hence the need for a secondary controller providing a 3rd and 4th channel).

Note that BlueCop and I have different approaches (read as, "moderators, please don't delete this thread!" :-D ) as I'm looking to retain data through an upgrade for playback on the *original* UTV, whereas he was looking to archive the material and make it available for playback on other devices.

Thanks for pointing me to BlueCop's threads!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone attempted to use GHOST to image the 40G drive and then putting this image on the 120G drive?

My thoughts were to use the orig 40G in my computer , but boot with a DOS disk (network boot) and ghost the drive to the server. Then I would swap the master drive in the computer to the new drive and restore the HOST image to the 120G drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.