Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have searched the forums for information about this mod...! But cant seem to find what I want..!! What does this mod do..? Does anyone have pictures..?

(I know it involves Radeon gfx cards.)

Regards

AK

·
Registered
667 Posts
It provides a clean 75 Ohm signal from video card to projector/HDTV eliminating the video noise caused by bad filtering on stock video cards. The end result is more clarity and 3D depth to the image, especially the bakground details. The best way to describe it is like removing a soft haze from the image and allowing it to be viewed with enriched clarity. The Radeons are the card of choice because they use a 10 bit DAC instead of 8 bit that most competitors use. This is not to say that the mod will not work on cards with different chipsets. Mike has had success with the Matrox Parhelia cards as well. It is hard to show pictures because your are at the mercy of the camera taking screenshots.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Dan

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I thought Mike also had a small amp in there to boost signal level a little bit, esp. as some CRT projectors like a little higher voltage then the 0.7v most video cards output.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess its not possible to it yourselves..? Its a bit problematic for me, cause Im in Norway...!

Regards

AK

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SDDI
The mod removes the Pi filters from the RGB outputs. This results in less high frequency rolloff resulting in a sharper picture.

-The mod does nothing to the output impedance, which is 75 Ohms regardless of the mod.

-The mod does not eliminate video noise, the elimination of the filters actually can increase extraneous video noise.

-Any video card can be modded this way, usually with benefits.
That's funny. The last time that I had counted the parts on the PC board (mod) that I attach to the video card there are over 70 electronic components soldered on it. There's also a separate isolated power supply that powers that circuit. And one other thing, I don't mention "sharper picture" as one of the benefits of the mod.

Oh, are you referring to my mod?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I can't afford the mod right now, but was hoping to perform a couple of basic mod's on my own... I remember seeing threads with pix/procedures for removing the stock filters as well as for soldering on your own BNCs for RGBHV. I've searched and searched but can no longer find these threads. Anyone know what happened to them?

Mike- If I do this (assuming that I am successful and still have a functional Radeon when I'm done ;)) can I still send you the card at a later date so that you can attach your magic PCB? :)

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Elvis,

send me a picture of your card, and I'll show you what filters to remove if you elect to do this. But a BNC plate would be better than the HD15 connector if you're running a pretty long cable to your projector. The problem with random filter removal is OVERSHOOT, and that can give you the appearance of sharpness, but actually it's noise.

The HD15 copnnector connected to the card, may read 75 ohms DC resistance, but it's not quite a true 75 ohm impedance connector. If your projector has BNC's on it, BNC's should be on the other end of a long cable run. Mismatched connectors can produce some ringing, ghosting, etc.

And yes, The mod can be attached later, or transferred to another card.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mike, I have a lowly RADEON VE. I would like to remove the filters. Any advice on where these filters are (part nos, caps resistors).

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
MP20748

1)Isn't hard wiring (soldering RGBHV cables ) to Radeon9700 should be better than even BNCs? No connectors at all just direct wires. Or improvement, if any, won"t worth inconvenience?

2)If you can of course, what should be remooved on 9700 pro?

3)How much your mode, is it still $350?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Mike has a powerbuy on it now, I think $325, plus $15 shipping/handling. See the power buys forum for the posting. Ends Dec 31st.

I'd much rather have 5 BNCs on the back of my computer than a 30' long video cable. Especially the heavy 5 wire RG6 that's frequently used for this kind of run with this mod. Perhaps I'm just crazy and like to be able to move my PC without a 20 pound cable having to be lugged with it. Picture quality isn't that important.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Oh, besides of which, I'm sure the studio that the material you are watching came from runs its video through at least 2 or 3 BNC connectors during production before mastering to DVD. Good quality 75 Ohm BNC connectors shouldn't change the signal very much.

Now making a 30' "cable" out of BNC connectors (rather than wire) might cause you to lose some detail.... it might also not let you flex it very much. :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mike,

Do sell the mod kit with a sheet showing the predefined tap points and existing parts to remove? If so, how much?

John

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnwcookjr
Mike,

Do sell the mod kit with a sheet showing the predefined tap points and existing parts to remove? If so, how much?

John
No, I only offer that to the distributors. The cost of some cards are expensive, and a slight solder splash or static from a soldering iron can damage a card. I know there are a plenty who has master soldering skills, and are rather confident that they can properly install this board without any flaws, but I'm highly concerned with everything turning out right. So If I or a distributor were to damage a card, you'll not see it. We're prepared to eat a mistake, we just don't want that to happen to you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
I can't afford the mod right now, but was hoping to perform a couple of basic mod's on my own... I remember seeing threads with pix/procedures for removing the stock filters as well as for soldering on your own BNCs for RGBHV. I've searched and searched but can no longer find these threads. Anyone know what happened to them?
Here are a couple links describing adding the BNC connectors:

Link 1

Link 2

John

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there anyway to preview the quality difference of this mod? I'm all for a better picture, but I'd like to 'see' what that means.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlmclemore
Here are a couple links describing adding the BNC connectors:

Link 1

Link 2

John
THERE they are!!! I tried numerous searches that should have brought up one or both of these, but the search engine did not find them.

I tried "Radeon AND BNC", "Radeon AND filter/filters", "Radeon AND solder/soldering"...

MAN, that search engine has been a real PITA lately!

Thanks, John!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.