AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ATI 9600 PRO with MP-1 mod from Wahoo computers . It had no BNC's attached. I got the card and tried it out as it was and it worked ok using the VGA port connected to a computer monitor. Next I soldered the RED GREEN & BLUE BNC cable on to some BNC Sockets. I used the photos on wisdom technologies web site as reference. I noticed that my mp-1 mod looks different from the one on mikes site ?? More cables connected to the graphics card etc. I then connected a VGA to BNC breakout cable to the VGA socket on the graphics card and used my meter to find out where the H and V pin outs were on the Graphics card.

So I had all the BNC's soldered on and connected it all up the my pc and marquee 8000 projector. The picture looked very bad with obvious inference and ghosting etc. I reconnected my old VGA to BNC cable to the projector and this worked fine no interference. I used 75 ohm cable maybe I need to use double screened cable ???

I un soldered all the BNC's and plugged the cared back into my pc now the card will not work at all !!! On close inspection of the card I have noticed that one of the legs of the MP-1 card is not connected to anything !! It is to short to connect to the graphics card ??? see photo.

Is the graphics card dead ??? have I zapped it with static ??? is the MP-1 stopping the card from working ???

See photos I have used a red mark where I soldered the BNC's to

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
This is the only help I can offer......

HD15 pin connections

HD-DB-15 pins commonly used for VGA monitors:

Pin Name Description

1 RED Red Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)

2 GREEN Green Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)

3 BLUE Blue Video (75 ohm, 0.7 V p-p)

5 GND Ground

6 RGND Red Ground

7 GGND Green Ground

8 BGND Blue Ground

10 SGND Sync Ground

13 HSYNC or CSYNC Horizontal Sync (or Composite Sync)

14 VSYNC Vertical Sync

" I used 75 ohm cable maybe I need to use double screened cable ??? "

NOPE - should be fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i sent hi a e mail today below is his responce

It appears that the card was working initially, and your attempt to

attach cables was the problem. I can't see how this could damage the

card, so it must be the way that you have the cables attached.

If your intent was to purchase the card for BNC use, you should have

had Wahoo convert it to BNC's before the purchase. They would have

sent the card to me before sending to you.

mike

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Hi SarahStarr. If it were me, I would just pack up and post the card to Mike at his US address in Maryland. For a nominal fee I am sure that he would correct anything that might have happened to the card as a result of the way in which you soldered and modified the card. He would then test it, and then post it back to you in perfect working order.

Mike is, IMHO, truly a wizard with electronics, and I myself would be loath to solder on or modify anything he has worked on, for fear that I would unwittingly undo some nuance of craftmanship that he had put into the card :)

Just my ha'penny worth.........Randall

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike has got back to me and said he can transfer the mod to a new card for me. He is not doing any work till October. Until then I will buy a new card and use it as is.

The new card I am think of getting is the Gigabyte NVIDIA Fanless 6600GT+HSI 128MB AGP from

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/components.php

Is this card compatible with the MP-1 ??? Would the heat sync get in the way ??? dose any one know

I am weighting for mike to get back to me on that.

Sarah Staar

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahstaar
Mike has got back to me and said he can transfer the mod to a new card for me. He is not doing any work till October. Until then I will buy a new card and use it as is.

The new card I am think of getting is the Gigabyte NVIDIA Fanless 6600GT+HSI 128MB AGP from

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/components.php

Is this card compatible with the MP-1 ??? Would the heat sync get in the way ??? dose any one know

I am weighting for mike to get back to me on that.

Sarah Staar
I'm not taking on anymore MP-1 mods/transfers (only warranty repair work) until I've cleared my to-do list. However, I'm still doing everything else. My focus now is on getting the new shop setup, and moving forward with the other things that I'm doing.

I'm shooting for an open house gathering at my shop, there I plan to have three very special CRT projectors on display (Barco 909, Sony 1292, Marquee 9500LC).

:D

----------------

Attaching the MP-1 version (larger) that you have to a 6600 card is not a good idea.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike for the advise Should I just get another ATI 9600 PRO or is there a better quality card I can get . I don't want to use it for Games just DVD and HD DVD etc.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahstaar
Thanks Mike for the advise Should I just get another ATI 9600 PRO or is there a better quality card I can get . I don't want to use it for Games just DVD and HD DVD etc.
I think the Nvidia card is the latest greatest card out there now. It has special features that work specifically with Theatre Tech V2, and it's the card I would buy now if I was upgrading my HTPC. Be careful which nvidia card you buy, they had some problems with one of the models. BTW, I would avoid taking a soldering iron to the new card, just a thought :D .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748
I'm not taking on anymore MP-1 mods/transfers (only warranty repair work) until I've cleared my to-do list. However, I'm still doing everything else. My focus now is on getting the new shop setup, and moving forward with the other things that I'm doing.

I'm shooting for an open house gathering at my shop, there I plan to have three very special CRT projectors on display (Barco 909, Sony 1292, Marquee 9500LC).

:D

----------------

Attaching the MP-1 version (larger) that you have to a 6600 card is not a good idea.
Is there a small version of the MP-1 card ??? Mike Parker is saying I have the large version and it will not fit on the Gigabyte NVIDIA 6600GT card . Will mike parker do a part exchange for my old card and put the new small mp-1 mod onto a new Gigabyte NVIDIA 6600GT card.

Or should I just sell my old card and start again. ???

Would I see a big difference between the two modified graphics cards the ATI 9600 PRO, my old card, and the Gigabyte NVIDIA 6600GT card.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Why not simply PM Mike ?

I would guess you'll get better information on what Mike will/can do, from Mike.

The rest us will just speculate on what he'll do.

·
Registered
802 Posts
As a very happy owner of an MP-1/BNCed Radeon 7500 (and past user of an unmodded 9500) in HTPC1 and a 6600GT in HTPC2, I have to suggest: just buy the 6600GT. It is an excellent card out of the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.