Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I am trying to find more info on Mike Parker's MP-1 mod for ATI cards. I'm in the market for a good card for my HTPC. I wonder if I really need the MP-1 mod??

Most of my searches here landed me onto threads dated from 2002. Thats like 3 years in the past. I also see that Mike is now onto version MP-5.

I am wondering if the "MP-1 mod" is outdated or has been superseded by something better? :confused:

-Rajiv

PS: I am posting it this in the CRT forum because it relates to connecting my CRT PJ to the HTPC. On second thoughts... can I do a dual post? I mean post the same question onto the CRT forum + the HTPC forum?

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's not at all outdated, though I understand there is a different one for the 6x00-series nVidia cards.

IMO, the MP-1 modded Radeon cards are excellent, far better PQ than the stock Radeon.

I also have an nVidia 6600GT (unmodded) in my HTPC2, and while the picture might not be quite as "clean" as the MP-1 modded card, the sheer horsepower of the newer 6600GT (over the 7x00 Radeon card) means the picture is better in other regards.

On balance, I prefer the pic of the newer HTPC (but of course, it's got almost twice the CPU and a more modern video card). I'll be parting out the old HTPC shortly, as soon as the new one is totally stable.

Mike makes mods for the new cards as well, and the Radeon mod board is transferrable to other cards (so I could have upgraded to a Radeon 9500, but since I wasn't willing to down HTPC1 until HTPC2 was completed, that wasn't a good option for me).

---Jim

Notes: both systems drive a Extron system 8 5BNC switcher, and then ~45 feet of Canare 5-3CFB cable to a pretty well setup G70 projector.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I beleive the MP-5 is a component to BNC transcoder for watching cable TV, not a mod to a video card. :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I found the 6600GT without the mod to outperform the 9800Pro with the MP1 mod.

It is not outdated, but probably not as 'needed' anymore. You can just stick BNC connectors on a 6600GT and unless you had an absolutely tricked out really high end projector that had been fully calibrated, I highly doubt you'd see a difference.

The older cards were far noisier in stock form, so the MP1 made a really big difference over an unmodded card, but pick a good card these days and it will probably outperform the rest of your system.

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
I beleive the MP-5 is a component to BNC transcoder for watching cable TV, not a mod to a video card. :)
Component is a video format, BNC is a connector type....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tony,

You missed "I before E except after C".

:D :D :D

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Weird

Weight

Weir

Stupid rule is wrong half the time ;)

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokoloff
Notes: both systems drive a Extron system 8 5BNC switcher, and then ~45 feet of Canare 5-3CFB cable to a pretty well setup G70 projector.
Wow, do you really have that many sources with BNC outputs or you use the extron as a buffer amp (video) to drive those 45 ft cables?

I wonder can a simple VGA card drive such long cables directly(without using an Extron)??

(I mean if I use a fan out (VGA to BNC) and then use 5 coax cables for the long run.)

-Rajiv

·
Registered
802 Posts
The system 8 is an unbuffered switch (I think). I got it because I had two computers and one HD-over-5BNC source to switch, not to drive the long cables. I previously had a contact-closure extron switch in there, and got the system 8 because of the RS-232 control to make it better integrate into my TV-nerd-heaven setup. :)

In any case, I've driven the long cable with the MP1 card directly and with the 6600GT directly, and there doesn't seem to be any issue. At the projector, an oscilloscope on the video signal shows I've got plenty of headroom and aren't crushing the blacks, and I'm using setup numbers very similiar to what others report on their setups using short cables, so I don't think the cable run is much of an issue.

I'm doing exactly what you describe with the 6600GT: just an off-the-shelf breakout cable into the switch. Works great...

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBDA
Component is a video format, BNC is a connector type....
thanks Tony, but I' just trying to keep the terminlogy simple so all the newbie's don't get scared away, I could have said it's a Yb-Yg-Yr to 5-BNC or RCA to BNC but component video is what every Best Buy guy understands.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sokolof/dokworm,

Thanks for posting to this thread. I have also been wondering about the MP-1, although I have a stock XFX 6800, driving an Electrohome 8500. Exactly which 6600GT video cards do you own?

I have no plans on changing my video card and wrecking my stable config, but I'd like to know about future cards for reference.

Thanks!

- Steve O.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If memory serves, my 6600GT is from AOpen, but I'll have to check at home to be 100% sure.

If you already have a 6800 and are happy with it, no reason to change to a 6600GT, though I seem to recall there were some hardware bugs in early firmware of some 6800s, meaning some functions in later drivers had to be done in software and the faulty hardware/firmware worked around. That's a very hazy memory as it didn't affect my particular card. In any case, I agree with your don't upgrade/sidegrade until there's a big performance difference policy. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.