AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to this forum. I've had this M&K sub for quite awhile...around 8 years old. It has it's own built in amp and the problem that I am having is that when you play around with the volume knob or crossover frequency knob on the sub....the bass will start to distort and cut out and sometimes cuts out completely or plays at only a fraction of the real output.

I know it has something to do with dirty internal connections or something. Any recommendations? I'm sure others with older subs might be experiencing this issue also even if the brand is different.

I tried doing a search relating to M&K but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Not too sure but you can try contacting mk about the issue. Every question i've ever had was answered by email same day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by braidkid
Not too sure but you can try contacting mk about the issue. Every question i've ever had was answered by email same day.
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of doing that earlier but I was afraid I wasn't going to get a response for weeks :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bad Pot, very common. I guess that doesn’t sound very well does it, what I mean is the potentiometer wiper is corroded or dirty or both more then likely, either way the volume pot is bad and either needs a good cleaning (contact cleaner) or most likely replacement. Usually if you clean it the problem will come back eventually, so It’s best to replace it.

That’s my best guess.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdaddy
Bad Pot, very common. I guess that doesn’t sound very well does it, what I mean is the potentiometer wiper is corroded or dirty or both more then likely, either way the volume pot is bad and either needs a good cleaning (contact cleaner) or most likely replacement. Usually if you clean it the problem will come back eventually, so It’s best to replace it.

That’s my best guess.
Thanks Kingdaddy. I was thinking of trying to clean myself. If I replace...is this something that can easily be done? I might be able to fix on my own. I have done some car stereo installations in the past.

I contacted M&K and they said to send it in to them...and they said if it is minor...it would be free...only shipping I have to worry about...but they didn't give me a top ceiling as far as repair.

Any idea how much to fix on your own or what M&K would charge? Just talking ball park here.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
BMW, my M&K did the same thing, I contacted them, sent it in, and they cleaned the pot free of charge. I offered to pay since I was way out of warranty, but they wouldn't hear of it. Anyway, it's much better now.

Just ship it to them, describe the problem real well, they'll take care of you :)

(Former 318i owner)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
BMW, my M&K did the same thing, I contacted them, sent it in, and they cleaned the pot free of charge. I offered to pay since I was way out of warranty, but they wouldn't hear of it. Anyway, it's much better now.

Just ship it to them, describe the problem real well, they'll take care of you :)

(Former 318i owner)

Thanks AcuraCL. Good to know. Oh...I also have an Acura TSX :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I can't imagine sending a heavy sub in just to have a Pot cleaned, it takes a $5 can of contact cleaner and about 20 min to do, depending on how difficult the pot is to get to. I would try taking it out first, should be only 2-3 wires attached.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Um, you remove the amp plate to send back. Since I wasn't sure whether they were going to clean or replace, and since they were doing the work for free, I was happy to send it back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
Um, you remove the amp plate to send back. Since I wasn't sure whether they were going to clean or replace, and since they were doing the work for free, I was happy to send it back.
Yeah...M&K said just to remove the amp plate....they specifically said "Don't ship the entire subwoofer!" :D

But I might try and do myself since I'm too cheap to pay for shipping. Besides...if they fix and then want to charge me...they have me hostage on getting my piece of equipment back. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem with my M&K MX-150Thx sub. Called M&K and was very surprised to hear they would fix it for free (the sub was around 9 years old). Sent it in and received it back a couple of weeks later. No charge.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you’re going to take the amp out, why not go one step further and take the Pot out, unless the design is very un-characteristically poor, it shouldn’t be that hard. To me, sending a amp back for a dirty pot is like sending a motor back to GM to change a fan belt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I remember correctly, the POT is soldered into a printed circuit board (my recollection could be failing me). Also, in my case I wasn't aware of the root problem at the time I sent it off to M&K.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbegala
If I remember correctly, the POT is soldered into a printed circuit board (my recollection could be failing me). Also, in my case I wasn't aware of the root problem at the time I sent it off to M&K.
Yes, I think you're right about that pot. Plus, some of us (ok, me) are electomechanically challenged and frankly, it stretched my capabilities figuring out how to get the amp plate out. Clean it? Nuh uh :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Not to change the subject, but since there are a lot of M&K sub owners here, how happy are you with your subs? I recently purchased a M&K 850 system which I love. I still have my Cambridge Soundworks P1000 sub which retails for about $1000. It has great sound quality, and plays solid down to about 25hz, and will go as low as 20hz at a reduced level. My room is about 3000 cubic feet, and on agressive soundtracks, I start to hear compression from the sub limiter at about -20dB from reference. I am considering the 850 sub, which is now discontinued. I like the WAF of it, since I can match my maple speakers and decor. Any thoughts on M&K subs vs. SVS or HSU, or even vs what I currently own?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I used to have an m&k mx-80 ... i believe that was the design ... it was the lowest push-pull design many years ago ... i now own two svs 16-46+ ... the push pull designs definitely hold their own (i demo'd the 150 and 350 used and new). However i was able to get the two svs subs used for about a 2/5 of what it costs for a mx-350 new. I would suggest going to listen if you can. Ultimately for me I think I was able to get a little extra head room for a cheaper price. I have no experience with your current sub, but I can say in my experience you will not be disapointed with the m&k push pulls or svs pc+ subs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been very pleased. I'm using one in a 14' x 23' dedicated room and it has plenty of punch for my liking. It's currently paired up with a Marantz SR-8500 AV receiver.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
*******, I think it depends whatcha want. By all accounts, the better SVS subs go louder lower ... great for movies ... not my cuppa tea.

I wanted the best *music* (classical and acoustic) I could put together and I find the MX-200 I have to be supremely capable for that. It goes plenty low, plenty loud, plays tight and clean. I've never had any indication I was pushing it too hard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
Not to change the subject, but since there are a lot of M&K sub owners here, how happy are you with your subs? I recently purchased a M&K 850 system which I love. I still have my Cambridge Soundworks P1000 sub which retails for about $1000. It has great sound quality, and plays solid down to about 25hz, and will go as low as 20hz at a reduced level. My room is about 3000 cubic feet, and on agressive soundtracks, I start to hear compression from the sub limiter at about -20dB from reference. I am considering the 850 sub, which is now discontinued. I like the WAF of it, since I can match my maple speakers and decor. Any thoughts on M&K subs vs. SVS or HSU, or even vs what I currently own?

Thanks

Greg
M&K kicks butt that's all I have to say. I've been very happy all these years with the sound of it. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh...fellow M&K powered sub woofer owners...I have a question. Do you leave your subwoofer on usually at all times?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.