AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Mimi wo Sumaseba" is perhaps the most underrated of all the films made by Studio Ghibli, famous for the works of Miyazaki Hayao and Takahata Isao. This is the only film directed by Kondo Yoshifumi who died of an aneurysm at the age of 47.

"Mimi" (also known by its English title "Whisper of the Heart") is the story of a smart and creative Junior High School student named Tsukishima Shizuku as she deals with her first love and struggles to harness her creativity while finding her way in life. It is an uplifting film with a positive message about life, love, and dreams that manages to capture the innocence of youth as well as a sense of realism that is all too uncommon in anime.

This new DVD is the first release I am aware of that contains English subtitles. They are nice literal subtitles with few to no mistakes. Very easy to follow. As a side note for those studying Japanese, the dialogue is fairly simple and easy to follow without English, I could easily recommend this DVD simply for its value as a tool for study.

"Mimi" is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with overscan protection. It also contains the original Japanese language track in both DD 5.1 and 2.0 Dolby surround.

I can't help but think that if you crossed something like Iwai Shunji's "Shigatsu Monogatari" with the sensibilities of Miyazaki Hayao you would come up with something close to "Mimi wo Sumaseba".

This is a great film! It's not for everyone, but I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Japanese cinema and the slow/diliberate pacing inherent in this type of film. Don't let the fact that it is animated fool you, like most Studio Ghibli films it transcends the medium.

CDJapan's "Mimi wo Sumaseba" listing

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wish I could tell you, but my best equipment is now a 21" trinitron :(. Also I don't have a DVD-Rom to check if it is film sourced or not.

Frode?

Maybe you should move to Japan Jeroen, maybe that would help you afford all of those DVDs by brining your pay more in line with the Japanese cost of living :D

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't notice any when I watched it tonight, and I did keep an eye out for it because I thought you would ask :)

FYI, I watched it at work on my portable DVD player with a 7" widescreen TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.