AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of Alliance's recent history of bungled BD transfers, I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed on this upcoming creature-feature. At least it's a 1.85 title, so the most they'll crop it is to 1.78. And except for screwing up a couple times with a handful of 1080i releases, they seem to be smartening up....I'm very happy with their recent release of 'The Cell'; uncropped, with a proficient 1080p transfer & DTS-HD MA audio. Anyhoo, Mira Sorvino is as cute as a button (as usual) in this one. August 4th will be one of my highlites of the summer -- 'Big Trouble in Little China' & 'Mimic' on the same day! I LOVE catalog releases....I rarely get this excited with new current releases

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hopefully a USA release will come soon. I remember the dvd having great surround sound. The sound designer Steve Boeddeker did a great job on this movie, so it should sound excellent on blu-ray.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSSVA /forum/post/16932996

Hopefully a USA release will come soon. I remember the dvd having great surround sound. The sound designer Steve Boeddeker did a great job on this movie, so it should sound excellent on blu-ray.

Yes, that was always one of my demo discs when it came to surround sound. Decent flick too!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/16936489

OT but I didn't know The Cell was available on blu... I may have to order that!

'The Cell' (NOT 'The Cell 2') is avail on Amazon.ca....I picked it up @ Wall-E Mart (Canada) for only $15. Director Tarsem Singh's haunting images are rendered beautifully on hidef on the 2.35 frame. You won't be disappointed.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/16936355

Wait for the eventual US release and don't give any money to this incompetent company.

The only way we consumers can fight back against stupidity is to withhold our $$$.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Watched the Alliance Blu-ray of Mimic (08/04/09) last night and can report that the real star of this BD is the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Very good dynamics, bass and spatial separation in surround sound mix. This is a VERY dark movie and often it's hard to make out what's going on in the underground subway scenes. The blacks are fairly deep but the color seems a little strange, the colors seem muted at times and at other times the blues and reds are quite vibrant. Maybe it's just my system but the skin colors sometimes took on an orangish tint. Resolution was all over the place, sometimes sharp but more often soft especially the aerial city shots that actually looked out of focus. I'm a big fan of Guillermo del Toro and this film is a guilty pleasure, even though as a director he has tried to distance himself from this movie. The price was decent for this BD and it's a distinct upgrade from my non-anamorphic DVD. Since it comes from a Canadian source I'm assuming it is a Region A disc. I see that there is also a different pending release (11/10/09) of this movie, possibly offering a different mastering?

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is a very good looking release. And, as mentioned, the soundtrack is really a winner. Whatever complaints people have with Alliance, their soundtracks are consistently well above average.

If people feel better waiting for a U.S. release, they are entirely free to keep waiting (and waiting and waiting).

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson /forum/post/17572549

If people feel better waiting for a U.S. release, they are entirely free to keep waiting (and waiting and waiting).

Del Toro has been working on a director's cut of Mimic for a while now. He's going to try and get it as close as possible to his original vision, but Weinstein interference kept some of his script from being filmed. I'll gladly wait a while longer for his definitive version of the film from Disney.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. /forum/post/17572778

Del Toro has been working on a director's cut of Mimic for a while now. He's going to try and get it as close as possible to his original vision, but Weinstein interference kept some of his script from being filmed. I'll gladly wait a while longer for his definitive version of the film from Disney.

Dave, thanks for the heads-up on the Director's Cut which I wasn't aware of. I knew that he was forced by the Weinsteins to alter his film since he was young director at the time. I just read his September comments on his website:

"MIMIC is looking fabulous. Some of the negative had been lost but we found alternatives and are finishing the Director's Cut. VERY HAPPY!! "

http://deltorofilms.com/forum2/viewt...66&hilit=mimic

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B /forum/post/17571535

i'm still looking forward to a US release of this to replace my Mimic DTS LASERDISC! haha

No kidding! I've always enjoyed this movie and have been waiting an ETERNITY for them to even release an anamorphic dvd of the film but of course, no way. I guess I can wait a bit longer for the blu.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/17598655

The mix was finished yesterday.

Ok FilmMixer got us all hyped now!

I loved the DD track on my DVD copy of MIMIC. I always felt it was a demo disc for sound and for bass. I can only imagine the sonic bliss of this one in DTSMA lossless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts