AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!


I have a pc with these specs.


Asus p4p 800 deluxe mainboard

pentium p4 3,4 ghz extreeme edition 0,5 mb L2 cache 2 mb l3 cache

ati x-1650

1 gb memory.

power dvd ultra

xbox- 360 dvd

Will i be able to get stutterfree hd-dvd with this setup?


Or is this better.


Asus p4p 800 deluxe

pentium p4 3,4 ghz overclocked to 4,08 ghz 1 mb l2 cache

1 gb memory

powerdvd ultra

x-box hd-dvd


comparing the 3,4 prescott against the extreeme the overclocked prescott is much faster then the extreeme when watching dvd´s on theatertek with ffdshow.

Maybe it will be the same with hd-dvd


Before I start this I just wan't to know my odds.


Thanks in advance!

Kempf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
hi i have p4 3.0 ghz with ht and 800 mhz fsb. i have it oced to 3.6 ghz and 1080p playback is near being smooth with media player classic in windows. i experimented with all the decoders and i used vmr9 or whatever it is called and i get few frames dropped. my video card is agp 6600 gt and i have 512 mb ram. i feel confident that with another 100 mhz the playback would be flawless.


p.s. i output audio with spdif passthrough so there is no decoding not that it is that much anyway.


my cpu usage is around 80% with spikes to the 100% mark when the bitrate goes up.


i used sin city as my test playback with file extension mkv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfntomm /forum/post/0


hi i have p4 3.0 ghz with ht and 800 mhz fsb. i have it oced to 3.6 ghz and 1080p playback is near being smooth with media player classic in windows. i experimented with all the decoders and i used vmr9 or whatever it is called and i get few frames dropped. my video card is agp 6600 gt and i have 512 mb ram. i feel confident that with another 100 mhz the playback would be flawless.


p.s. i output audio with spdif passthrough so there is no decoding not that it is that much anyway.


my cpu usage is around 80% with spikes to the 100% mark when the bitrate goes up.


i used sin city as my test playback with file extension mkv

Which decoder are you using? I have a X2 5600+ with 2gb of RAM and playback of 1080p films has async between audio and video, with occasionaly slowdown. I am trying to playback 1080p mkv files too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uegis /forum/post/0


Which decoder are you using? I have a X2 5600+ with 2gb of RAM and playback of 1080p films has async between audio and video, with occasionaly slowdown. I am trying to playback 1080p mkv files too.

The 5600+ is enough for even more the most demanding h264 out there - it must be a software issue for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
A little while ago, my HTPC had the following configuration:

P4 2.8 GHz Prescot.

Asus P4GD1 (Intel 915 PCI-E + 478 Socket).

1 GB Memory.

6600 GT.


It wasn't good enough to play HD material except for MPEG2.


I wanted to upgrade, but with as little changes as possible. My first step was to upgrade the video card to 8600 GTS (8500 would also be sufficient but I wanted the extra horsepower for gamming). H264 played very good with about 30%-40% CPU utilization. Unfortunately, VC-1 is not hardware accelerated in the 8xxx series so I got about 80% utilization most of the time and frame drops in the high speed scenes. I then upgraded the CPU to P4 3.4 GHz EE. With this CPU I get about 50%-60% CPU utilization and no frame drops. I'm very happy with this setup. The GPU acceleration is a great help with the demanding decoding of H264. Maybe you can wait for an AGP 8xxx card to come in order to have a perfect setup?


Ramzine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0


The 5600+ is enough for even more the most demanding h264 out there - it must be a software issue for you.

What do you recommend for troubleshooting? I've been trying to fix the problem for a while. I am using onboard video though, x1200 on the 690g chipset. Can that be the bottleneck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uegis /forum/post/0


What do you recommend for troubleshooting? I've been trying to fix the problem for a while. I am using onboard video though, x1200 on the 690g chipset. Can that be the bottleneck?

If you've switched off hardware acceleration (which is probably a good idea with anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts
My rusty P4 Northwood 2.8>3.3 plays HD DVDs just fine w/Radeon AIW 2006.


Having said that, E4300 1.8 C2D is your best choice. Overclocked to at least 2.4GHz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc /forum/post/0


I think alot of stutter issues reported are streaming related. Fragmented hard-drives, processes chopping the memory bus, etc..

Might very well be the true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc /forum/post/0


I think alot of stutter issues reported are streaming related. Fragmented hard-drives, processes chopping the memory bus, etc..

Hard to see this tbh - in modern computer terms the undecoded stream is very low bandwidth. You're only talking an average maybe around 3Mbytes/sec, and even it it's insanely fragmented this shouldn't be anywhere near a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0


Hard to see this tbh - in modern computer terms the undecoded stream is very low bandwidth. You're only talking an average maybe around 3Mbytes/sec, and even it it's insanely fragmented this shouldn't be anywhere near a problem.

Yes

but what about burst speeds of a new process starting up?

When the stuttering is intermitent the average speeds are irrelevant. It's trying to find out what's going on at the stutter points.


I had 2 older IDE 7200rpm harddrives. They couldn't play downloaded 540p content with out stutter. Both were on the same channel and both were very old (ie fragmented). I had to burn to a DVD to watch the stuff. Now I have a new SATA drive, no probs on 720 content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc /forum/post/0


I had 2 older IDE 7200rpm harddrives. They couldn't play downloaded 540p content with out stutter.

Something was very broken with that setup then. I have an old 60GB 5400rpm in my server box, and a quick test now shows 15 Mbytes/sec average read speed and min 9 over the network. That's copying an old windows directory with countless thousands of little files, which is going to be a lot slower than a single video file.


Oh, and it's never been defragged, and SMART shows it's in horrible condition (all sorts of warnings on the status reports).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uegis /forum/post/0


Which decoder are you using? I have a X2 5600+ with 2gb of RAM and playback of 1080p films has async between audio and video, with occasionaly slowdown. I am trying to playback 1080p mkv files too.

use media player classic for h.264, better than powerdvd in terms of software decoding, you should have no issues after that. have fun with stutter free hd content.


i cant get an 8*** series card cus i have only an agp slot available
. might need new mobo. bahhh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!


I have the new patch installed but eventhough i activate hardware acceleration

it is not activated when I start the movie mi3 hd-dvd. (Watching dvd it is activated.)

And it stutters very much(hd), is there a way I can force hardware acceleration?



Thanks in advance!

Kempf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0


Something was very broken with that setup then. I have an old 60GB 5400rpm in my server box, and a quick test now shows 15 Mbytes/sec average read speed and min 9 over the network. That's copying an old windows directory with countless thousands of little files, which is going to be a lot slower than a single video file.


Oh, and it's never been defragged, and SMART shows it's in horrible condition (all sorts of warnings on the status reports).


What does copying files have anything to do with watching video? Can you see when the buffer empties and the harddrive misses a sector?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top