AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this remake of the cult spanish film 'Abre Los Ojos' in my room a few nights ago and would like to say a few words.

First off I think this is TC's best work since 'Magnolia' (which I also rate highly) and proves once and for all that Cruise can indeed act. Cruise re-teams with Jerry Maguire Director, the talented Cameron Crowe to give us a mind bending, tantalizing film.

This moral story, makes the statement that for every action in our lives there is a reaction. The story centres on David Ames, a young irresponsible playboy, the only child of a publishing magnet who is left a business empire when he dies in a car crash.

Ames (Cruise) life involves endless 24 hour partys with plenty of sex thrown in for good measure. His good looks, together with a few billion dollars in the bank ensure the constant stream of babes throwing themselves at his feet.

Ames scary friend (also known as his sex buddy) played by the lovely Cameron Diaz is begining to get a little too clingy for his liking. In the meantime, during one of his partys, the playboys constantly roving eye picks out Sofia, the new girl friend of his best pal (Jason Lee).

Hitting it off perfectly with Sofia (Penelope Cruz) he finally finds his soul mate in life. Or so it would seem.

What happens next is the equivalent of climbing the worlds longest escalator, reaching the last step, then finding yourself at the bottom again. Suddenly, Ames is charged with murder and is constantly quizzed by his shrink (played superbly by Kurt Russel) while in custody. At the same time, the seven dwarfs (Ames nickname for the board members of his company) are on the verge of wrenching control (Ames was left 51%) of the company due to his mental state.

The major surprise of this movie is the acting ability of Cameron Diaz. The words scary, believable and spectacular come to mind.

I won't go further in case of spoilers, suffice to say that I can't recommend this movie enough.

Eric

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree.... A brilliant re-envisioning that improves greatly on an already brilliant original work.

That said, I strongly recommend picking up 'Abre Los Ojos' in addition to 'Sky',... as they complement each other beautifully.

Dustin Putman's 4-Star Vanilla Sky Review .... I couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It would have been better if it ended with him seeing the commercial and pounding on the glass.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Loved the original, which deserves a DVD that isn't riddled with MPEG artifacting. :( I'll see the remake when it comes out locally on DVD.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very Intriguing Movie. On another note there is a party scene at Cruise's house and a Hologram of John Coltrane is noted. Does something like that really exist? How much to buy one?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just got the disc and a quick check reveals great PQ. I liked 'Jerry McG.' a lot and LOVED 'Almost Famous' (still haven't watched the Director's Cut, although i own the disc).

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Awful. Sorry but I found VANILLA SKY nuts, stupid, bad acting, wako script.

heard the spanish original was way better.

critics were rather pro or con. no general consensual positive critic.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nuts?

Stupid?

Is this your professional opinion?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
euh ?

I'm no critic. it's forbidden to say I didn't like it ?

I think this movie was a waste of great talents ( Cruise and Cruz, and Russell).

flamesuit on. gonna need it it seems.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David,

Hey old friend, we had to disagree on one. Not to worry,

Best Regards

Eric

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can anyone tell me if this dvd is on sale at CC? They generally sell their new releases for a few bucks off during the first week.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It will be out next tuesday.

Gus

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Great movie review, I seen some acting ability when TC as maverick on the death of goose (A. Edwards) in front of gooses wife played by Meg Ryan. Cruise eyes swelled up really good, the sign of his professional acting abilty on the rise! thanks Eric.:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
IMO the original was much better regarding acting and the overall ambience. This might partly be based on the fact that I saw 'Abre los ojos' just a couple of weeks ago and VS today. All in all I was surprised how similar these movies were to the last detail.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hob,

Thanks. Its surprising how much Cruise has been slated over the years. Most assume box office pulling power is a catalyst for bad acting. Case in point (maybe not as much these days) Arnie.

As you pointed out. TC just keeps getting better and better.

One look at his work portfolio and non believers should begin to wake up.

His best work so far,

Rainman,

Jerry Maguire,

Magnolia,

and now, Vanilla Sky.

Regards

Eric

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
euh ?

I'm no critic. it's forbidden to say I didn't like it ?

I think this movie was a waste of great talents ( Cruise and Cruz, and Russell).

flamesuit on. gonna need it it seems.
You are certainly allowed your own opinions; I wasn't even saying that I liked it (although I do). I just didn't understand what was "nuts" or "stupid" about it. Did you mean that you found it too "weird" or just not a very clever film?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm still trying to get past "Days of Thunder" and "Cocktail".

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by longshot
I'm still trying to get past "Days of Thunder" and "Cocktail".
Good one John :D

Eric

·
Registered
813 Posts
Saw it in the theaters some time back and one of the aspects that lingered was the use of great music, Crowe is good at this. Wouldn't mind borrowing a few CDs from his collection.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I must say I am with David600 on this one. I especially didn't care for the ending which seemed in a rush to tie things up in a nice, although very twisted, bow. I got the feeling this was like a love letter to Tom Cruise from himself. Let me explain "Oh, look at how good looking and successful I am...(cue the trendy music)... popular party thrown in with some sex scenes, then ***blammo*** tragedy strikes and the pretty boy is damaged.... physically or mentally? Finally, the quick "explain everything" wierd ending.

I felt like my blood sugar had dropped and was watching in an incoherent stupor. Oh well, I guess there had to be a few detractors.

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.