AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to design a 13" riser to work with limited headroom under my soffits. Headroom would be 6'-8" from top of a traditional 13" riser to bottom of soffit. To increase headroom, I'd like to go with the mini/booster riser under the back row, maximizing distance between the main riser and soffit. Do any of these options sound better than the others?

Option 1 (leaves 7'-2" of headroom)

main riser-2x6 with double layer of 3/4" ply (7" height)

mini riser under 2nd row seats-2x6 with single layer of 1/2" ply (6" height)
Concern-6" seems too high for a mini riser

Option 2 (leaves 7'-1" of headroom)

main riser-2x8 with single layer of 3/4" ply (8" height).

mini riser-2x4 with double layer of 3/4" ply (5" height).
Concerns-5" still seems too high for a mini riser. Also, is a single layer of 3/4" ply on the main riser sufficient?

Option 3 (leaves 7'-1/4" headroom)

main riser-2x8 with double layer of 3/4" ply (8 3/4")

mini riser-2x4 with single layer of 3/4" ply (4 1/4" height)
Concerns-main riser would need a step as it now exceeds 8" height (8.25" might be max. height, I need to check). Also need to check minimum riser height, as this setup would yield a 4 3/8" step. I think 5" might be the minimum.

Any thoughts? Anyone using a mini riser determine a max height before it feels awkward getting in the chair?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think it depends on how high the seating is already. I would mock up the mini riser and try it out keeping in mind heights of other using the theater.

Also, you are lucky to have more than 7' after the riser. I have 6'9" without any riser! Your height differences are minor; go with your gut.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I just finished my riser. Its 13" high total in the room with 8 foot ceilings. Im 6' and I have absolutely no problems at all with it. It also works perfectly to see over the chairs in front of it. Don't forget to put some bass shakers in it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts