AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of 2.0/2.1 speakers to hook up to my computer for gaming, music, video... the whole shebang. It'll be in a small room, not a livingroom or anything. But I'm not sure what setup I should actually go with. Should I get a mini component system and plug my computer into that, or would I be better off going with a set of computer speakers like the Logitech Z-2300 ? (2 satellite speakers and a sub-woofer.)

Right now I have a 7 or 8 year old Sharp mini component system that probably cost around $200 way back when I got it.

I don't consider myself much of an audiophile, but I'd still like to get the best sound possible. If the answer to which setup is better depends on cost, I'm looking to spend around $200 max for the speakers. I can get the Z-2300 for $210 CAD here.

Opinions? Thanks!

EDIT: On the back of each of my current mini component system's speakers is the following power info, just in case:

Speakers:

Woofer 4"

Woofer 4"

Tweeter 2"

Impedance 6 OHMS

Rated Power 50W

Maximum power handling capacity 100W

I assume a newer system, whatever type it may be, would be an upgrade from these?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

The more I read, the more I lean toward mini monitors. In particular, the M-Audio AV40's have caught my eye. I've read good things about the Swans as well, but I can't find them anywhere. I live in Canada.

I'm a pretty picky/annoying shopper, so I'd just like to confirm something. My new question is now this: For general purpose speakers (gaming, music, video... mostly music), would I be better off with the AV40's or the Logitech Z-2300?

Additionally, I've come across the Creative GigaWorks T40 a few times now, which are in the same price range as the AV40's, but they seem more like a gimmicky "super awesome hifi buy these computer speakers" marketing type of thing. Any thoughts? Should I even be considering these speakers when the AV40s and Z-2300s are in the mix?

Also worthy of mention is that regardless of which I get, the speakers will be plugged into a fairly high-end gaming sound card (at least when I bought it...
): A Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtremegamer FATAL1TY Professional Series Sound Card 7.1

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
It all depends on how good the speakers in the minisystem are. Don't buy anything you can't try out first, or return.

If I were you, I'd keep the minisystem you have now and save my pennies for this . That would be a real upgrade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I read, the more I lean toward mini monitors. In particular, the M-Audio AV40's have caught my eye. I've read good things about the Swans as well, but I can't find them anywhere. I live in Canada.

I'm a pretty picky/annoying shopper, so I'd just like to confirm something. My new question is now this: For general purpose speakers (gaming, music, video... mostly music), would I be better off with the AV40's or the Logitech Z-2300?

Additionally, I've come across the Creative GigaWorks T40 a few times now, which are in the same price range as the AV40's, but they seem more like a gimmicky "super awesome hifi buy these computer speakers" marketing type of thing. Any thoughts? Should I even be considering these speakers when the AV40s and Z-2300s are in the mix?

Also worthy of mention is that regardless of which I get, the speakers will be plugged into a fairly high-end gaming sound card (at least when I bought it...
): A Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtremegamer FATAL1TY Professional Series Sound Card 7.1

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been looking into PC speakers for my dorm room lately and I'm also stuck between M-Audio AV40's and Logitech Z-2300's. I'm currently using JBL Creatures and I'm not too impressed by their sound. Are they worth upgrading?

I'll be listening to 80% music, 10% movies and 10% games.

Also, I've heard that AV40's don't sound as good on a bookshelf since the port is in the rear. While mine will be used on my desk, I do have a decently sized hutch. Would this alter the sound of the AV40's? If needed I can post a picture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For what it's worth, I ended up buying the AV40s. To my untrained ear, they sound great even with only a few inches of clearance at the rear and with one speaker in a corner only a few inches from both walls. Much better than my old system.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan922 /forum/post/17124145

I've been looking into PC speakers for my dorm room lately and I'm also stuck between M-Audio AV40's and Logitech Z-2300's. I'm currently using JBL Creatures and I'm not too impressed by their sound. Are they worth upgrading?

I'll be listening to 80% music, 10% movies and 10% games.

Also, I've heard that AV40's don't sound as good on a bookshelf since the port is in the rear. While mine will be used on my desk, I do have a decently sized hutch. Would this alter the sound of the AV40's? If needed I can post a picture.

In M-Audio line I would get BX5. Actually among power monitors $300 for pair is a lowest price you have to pay, if you want acceptable sound quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.