AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Link to Devastator Index thread of this design: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3094240-devastator-index-52.html#post59860050
Here we go again :). Yet another build thread. Devastator has so many versions now thx to @Red Five. I already have 2 Devastators V1. My current system has 4 subs all together including 2 Devs V1 and 2 Mini Marty using PA 460. I also have UXL18 drivers but I like PA460 better with Devs. Devs alone sound amazing but to get a consistent results across all the seats, having 4 subs does the trick. My current system with 2 Devs + 3 Mini sound great. Very very good and satisfying. Don't think its lacking anything but there is something in my constantly poking and asking "what if I have 4 devs?????". How would that sound. I think we call it AVS Bug? :D:D:D
If you are here reading this post, well guess what..... you have it too. If you think you don't then its a matter of time before you realize that you do indeed have it :p

Once I decided that I wanted to build two more Devs, question was which ones. There are so many versions available now. Since I already have 2 Devs using La Voce 21" drivers, I narrowed down the list with versions that use 21" drivers. V1 are LARGE subs. There is ~56" of space b/w MLP and Back wall and entrance to HT is from back wall. Having V1 standing in corners wasn't much of a concern but them being 48" high was causing the Front speakers to reflect off of them. I have diffusers on back walls and wanted the sound to go there and diffuse. So, I laid them on the floor. That solves the problem with reflection but now they are very close to the door :). Clearly, I need a sub that isn't too high. Welcome to V5. This sub is 40" high which will stand nicely in the back. Problem solved :).

This thread will go in details on how to build
Mini Devastator 21" Version 5 HCR 40"x25.5"x26" 18Hz Tune
. V1 are tuned to 19Hz but don't think that'd be an issue. I'll be building 2 of these. Now I'm not a pro with wood work but hoping that I'll pull this off with help of all other guys from Dev thread as they have done before as well.

First off, special thx to @Red Five and @a77cj7 for helping me decide which version I should go for.
I'm going to try to put lots of pics to help understand the process. As already mentioned that I'll be using La Voce 21" drivers. I have already placed the order for them. They should get here in 3-4 days

I'm going to be using Plywood for 2 reasons
1 - Much cleaner to work with
2 - Much lighter in weight. Will make moving sub around much easier.

Without further ado, here is the cut list that Red Five provided. To see full cutlist for 2 boxes including all the images that shows how to cut all the pieces from plywood, go to post 4.

I purchased 3 Plywoods (96x48) but had each cut into 53x48 and 43x48 to make it easier for me to move them myself.

A few images I took from Dev Index thread V3 post. These are just an FYI to show how the build is going to go. V5 is a little different in dimention (40"x25.5"x26").

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here I'll post the progress of the build.
Sides (4): 40x26: Done
Front Panel 29.75x24(2): Done
Top Panel 7.5x24(2): 1 Done
Bottom Panel 26x24(2): Done
Top Access Panel 17x24(2): Done
Back Panel 39.25x24(2): 1 Done
Baffle/Driver Wall 35.75x24(2): Done
Front Chamber Rails 35.75x6(4): Done
Bottom Port Board 22.5x24(2): Done
Back Port Board 18x24(2): Done
Bottom Port Rails 24.5x2(4): 2 Done
Back Port Rails 18x2(4): Done
Upper Front to Back Bracies 16.25x1.5(8): Done
Lower Front to Back Braces 15x1.5(8): Done.
Upper Horizontal Braces 24x1.5 (6): Done
Access Panel Front to Back Surround 14.75x1.5(4) Done
Access Panel Front to Back Braces 11x1.5(4): Done
Access Panel Horizontal Braces 7.5x1.5(4): Done

I ended up buy another sheet for work around my screw ups :). But now I'm done with cutting all the pieces. What I liked about Dev V1 build is that all bracing is 2x4 so all I had to do was cut the proper length. All Mini Devs will need bracing to be cut from sheet and that took the longest in my case. Some pics of the cuttings. Since there are many pieces involved, I decided to label each and every single piece with its name and size.

Half way thru

Almost done

Both Boxes done cutting

and here I put together all the pieces that are required to build 1 Mini Dev V5 Box

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Will be using Lavoce 21" drivers since I already have 2 Devs V1 with same drivers. These are HUGE drivers.

Just to compare size of driver with a can of soda and my Dog :)

Step 1: Cut the driver hole in Baffle Wall. Spoke with @Red Five and @a77cj7 and they recommended that the center point should be 12" from top and 12" from sides as well. Lavoce 21" needs a 20" circle to be placed on to. To cut 20" circle, instead of using threads and what not, I decided to use the perfect 20" circle that came along with Driver and was used in packing. Made it much simpler to mark and cut.

Once marked, to cut the circle, I used drill machine to drill a hole that I could fit the blade in easily and then just follow the mark to cut out the circle.

Time to put the driver on top to see if it goes in nicely and fits fine.

Finally marking the points where the screws will be drilled to hold the driver in place

Step 2: Cut the arch in Rails. This is done to make sure the driver doesn't hit the rail when moving. I don't think there is a precise size that needs to be cut but as long as the driver is free to move and doesn't touch Rail, we are good.

first I marked the rails. I have arch going 1" higher.

and here is the rails in place after the cut. Note that I haven't glued them. Image is just to show it looks after the cut.

Step 3: Start gluing the pieces. We'll glue Top Panel (Not the access panel) with Side Panel

Step 4: Attach Front Panel
I drilled the kreg holes first. Note that I didn't need the pocket holes that will face the other side. So that's extra but won't hurt.

Step 5: Attach Rails

Step 6: Bottom Board with Rails. Make sure that bottom board flushes to side edge.

Step 7: Bottom Board

Step 8: Back Board with rails. Ignore the panel sitting on top. It was there just to do a dry run.

Step 9: 2nd Side Board

Step 10: Bracing

Step 11: Back Board with Speaker Terminal
Speaker Terminal Link

Step 12: Driver Installation

Step 13: Top Access Panel (including the markings for screwing)

That's it. All done. A few more pics to show final product. A total of 50 images can be attached per post and I think I have 50 here :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is the full cutlist. We had to go back and forth to fit everything in. I purchased 3 Plywoods (96x48) but turned out that it wasn't enough. Luckily, I have a few more pieces left from previous V1 build that filled the required pieces. To keep things simple, get 4 plywoods to build 2 boxes or 2 for 1 box. In my case, besides 3 sheets, I had to add 1 30x48 and 1 22.5x48 piece to get all the pieces needed to build 2 boxes. Note that all the images below is for 2 boxes. If you are building 1 then simply subtract 1 box out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@a77cj7, I'm using https://cutlistoptimizer.com/ to generate the cut list. I bought 3 Plywoods (96x48) and trying to fit the cut list (posted in 1st post of thread). Its coming short and not able to fit two pieces of 26x24. I do have some more plywood sitting that I can use but wondering if there is a better calculator that can do the job. Also note that I had each sheet cut into 53"x48 to make is easier for me to move them around. So 3 plywoods ended up being

Plywood1 (96x48) = 53x48 + 43x48
Plywood2 (96x48) = 53x48 + 43x48
Plywood3 (96x48) = 53x48 + 43x48

I put them all on the site and it couldn't fit all the pieces. I have some more Plywood lying around. So I added another piece 30"x48 and still calculator couldn't fit all the pieces.
Can you try the calculator you used to see if it does? For some reason I was under impression that I could get these 2 boxes out of 3 Plywoods.

Another option is that we can use 2x4 for bracing since I purchased like 6 of them :). All the pieces in the cut list that have 1.5 width to them, wondering if we can use 2x4 instead of plywood. Do you see any issue using 2x4 instead besides making the box heavier?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Mini Devastator 21" Version 5 HCR Build Thread

@a77cj7, I'm using https://cutlistoptimizer.com/ to generate the cut list. I bought 3 Plywoods (96x48) and trying to fit the cut list (posted in 1st post of thread). Its coming short and not able to fit two pieces of 26x24. I do have some more plywood sitting that I can use but wondering if there is a better calculator that can do the job. Also note that I had each sheet cut into 53"x48 to make is easier for me to move them around. So 3 plywoods ended up being

I put them all on the site and it couldn't fit all the pieces. I have some more Plywood lying around. So I added another piece 30"x48 and still calculator couldn't fit all the pieces.
Can you try the calculator you used to see if it does? For some reason I was under impression that I could get these 2 boxes out of 3 Plywoods.

Another option is that we can use 2x4 for bracing since I purchased like 6 of them :). All the pieces in the cut list that have 1.5 width to them, wondering if we can use 2x4 instead of plywood. Do you see any issue using 2x4 instead besides making the box heavier?

I’m procrastinating today anyway, so I’ll give it a shot.

I wouldn’t suggest 2x4 bracing, eats rear chamber volume. Would probably have to shorten the port and raise the tune for that. Plus, the stick bracing usually isn’t the material issue, its the large panels.

Chris

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

Looks like it fits easily for one cab. Two will require significantly more material.

Pretty poor material utilization due to the 48” sheet width. John designed the 24” panel width for 49” mdf sheets.
You could reduce the panel width to 23.875 without significant changes if you want. Just make sure to do it for ALL panels.

I can email you the pdf cutlist if you want.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it fits easily for one cab. Two will require significantly more material.

Pretty poor material utilization due to the 48” sheet width. John designed the 24” panel width for 49” mdf sheets.
You could reduce the panel width to 23.875 without significant changes if you want. Just make sure to do it for ALL panels.

Chris
One is not a challenge but I'm building 2. I have a few more pieces of plywooed. Let me see if I can make it work with all other pieces included. I'll post back soon.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Always excited to see Mini Devastator 21 builds. These will sure to add humph to your current setup:)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
One is not a challenge but I'm building 2. I have a few more pieces of plywooed. Let me see if I can make it work with all other pieces included. I'll post back soon.

I dropped the panel width to 23.875 for material utilization, but still not close.
One more sheet works pretty well.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dropped the panel width to 23.875 for material utilization, but still not close.
One more sheet works pretty well.

Chris
Don't drop it to 23.875. I have more plywood from V1 leftovers. What site are you using to calculate? It turned out that CutlistOptimizer.com limits the calculation to be performed 10 times a day for free. Last time when I uploaded the following sheets, it was able to fit. Then I changed and at that turn it stoped working for today since limit was over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Always excited to so Mini Devastator 21 builds. These will sure to add humph to your current setup:)
Yeah very eager to see what change it brings. I'm very happy with 2 Devs V1 + 2 Mini Marty using PA460 but AVS Bug kept bugging me to go with all 4 Devs to see what it does. I"m more interested in BASS Quality than quantity since I'll be using up to 12dB the max.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

What site are you using to calculate? It turned out that CutlistOptimizer.com limits the calculation to be performed 10 times a day for free. Last time when I uploaded the following sheets, it was able to fit. Then I changed and at that turn it stoped working for today since limit was over.

I’m using a free program, not a website. The one the “modify my marty” sheet exports for, I believe its just called cutlist.

I just tried with those sheets, doesn’t fit.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m using a free program, not a website. The one the “modify my marty” sheet exports for, I believe its just called cutlist.

I just tried with those sheets, doesn’t fit.

Chris
I use the old program and I usually end up using manual mode. It says a lot of stuff cannot be solved but it can...
I got it working with same pieces. Here is the post with full cut list for 2 boxes
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3159160-mini-devastator-21-version-5-hcr-build-thread.html#post59905938

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@a77cj7, the OCD in my is killing me. Even for Bracing, if I find a piece 1/10 of an inch off, I throw it away. Generally speaking when building a box, how much of a wiggle room do we have? Wish I had a table saw. Using Circular saw with guide and still I struggle to get perfect perfect cuts.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
@a77cj7, the OCD in my is killing me. Even for Bracing, if I find a piece 1/10 of an inch off, I throw it away. Generally speaking when building a box, how much of a wiggle room do we have? Wish I had a table saw. Using Circular saw with guide and still I struggle to get perfect perfect cuts.

Well, that really depends. Pl3x is good at filling minor gaps.

I cut all my panels well under 1/16” error, but I have a tablesaw and am very careful during setup.

Minor errors will just add finishing work. As long as everything is well sealed, it shouldn’t affect performance.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that really depends. Pl3x is good at filling minor gaps.

I cut all my panels well under 1/16” error, but I have a tablesaw and am very careful during setup.

Minor errors will just add finishing work. As long as everything is well sealed, it shouldn’t affect performance.

Chris
Which tablesaw do you have. I have been thinking about investing in one. This my 6th sub and I have a feeling that eventually I'll be building Sub V3 :). It never stops. You know that soooo well :D:D:D

So figured out a bit. It turned out that I wasn't really including the thickness of blade on Circular Saw. Now when I draw the line, I make sure to put the guide right on it and it cuts precisely.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have a portable ridgid tablesaw. Not what I’d choose for building subs at all, but way better than nothing. Plus, it was free. I modified it to cut up to 30”.

Ideally, you want a cabinetry saw. They are huge and expensive. A panel saw might be a good alternative.

Chris

1 - 20 of 84 Posts