AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the mini displayport to HDMI converters on Amazon. They range from about $4 to $50. This will be going on a new 2.8GHz MacPro that I just ordered so I am expecting to send the audio over the same cable. So is there any real difference in these converters? Anyone have suggestions on good ones versus bad ones? They do not need to be from Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 /forum/post/19549437


I was looking at the mini displayport to HDMI converters on Amazon. They range from about $4 to $50. This will be going on a new 2.8GHz MacPro that I just ordered so I am expecting to send the audio over the same cable. So is there any real difference in these converters? Anyone have suggestions on good ones versus bad ones? They do not need to be from Amazon.

I see that you have like 37 views and no response. I am on the same boat here so I am doing my own research with trial and error.


The price for the MDP to HDMI adapters dont matter but you just have to make sure the one that you do get works with your setup.


It just might be that the adapter works 100% with MacBooks but for iMac it's hit or miss or there are some incompatibility with setups.


First I ordered a MDP to HDMI adapter from Monoprice and the build quality is pretty good for what it is but for whatever the reason I can't get audio with the iMac even though it clearly says it supports audio DTS-HD and DD-HD as well. Then again buyers have reported that it works fine for their MacBooks and again it just might be that it works properly with MacBooks for whatever reason. Sucks for me that there aren't enough people out there with iMac to give their thoughts or reviews.


I then went out and bought the Moshi adapter from the Apple store and tried that with iMac and it sends audio so I was happy for a moment and thats because when I switch sources since I am connected via the AV receiver I get freezing issue with iMac which is remedied by restarting the machine. This doesn't happen when I connect directly to HDTV.


So, I wouldn't base a product on price. Just get one and try it I guess. Sorry, if this doesn't help =/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Just make sure it explicitly says it supports audio. The Monoprice adapter the poster above references explicitly says it does NOT support audio. I bought one from eBay for six bucks shipped from China. Works fine. Also, Best Buy sells a Dynex brand mini displayport to HDMI adapter, that supports audio, for 20 + tax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb
Just make sure it explicitly says it supports audio. The Monoprice adapter the poster above references explicitly says it does NOT support audio. I bought one from eBay for six bucks shipped from China. Works fine. Also, Best Buy sells a Dynex brand mini displayport to HDMI adapter, that supports audio, for 20 + tax.
When I purchased it they did not that have that note in bold red. The purchasing decision was based on their previous version of description and the many reviews by customers that claimed to have audio.


After I got my adapter and the audio didn't work I talked to a rep from Monoprice and they said that they just updated the product description to say the audio doesn't work. The question remains if audio works for MacBook or MacBook Pro only. Obviously if audio doesn't work at all for any Mac then the customers are writing false reviews.


I ordered a Kanex adapter from Amazon and hopefully it wont have issue when going through an a/v receiver.


Whats your configuration like? Are you connecting through a receiver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My home theater is just starting so the computer is going directly to the TV. Sounds like an inexpensive one that explicitly states audio support should work as good as the expensive ones, true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu /forum/post/19552555


When I purchased it they did not that have that note in bold red. The purchasing decision was based on their previous version of description and the many reviews by customers that claimed to have audio.


After I got my adapter and the audio didn't work I talked to a rep from Monoprice and they said that they just updated the product description to say the audio doesn't work. The question remains if audio works for MacBook or MacBook Pro only. Obviously if audio doesn't work at all for any Mac then the customers are writing false reviews.


I ordered a Kanex adapter from Amazon and hopefully it wont have issue when going through an a/v receiver.


Whats your configuration like? Are you connecting through a receiver?

Audio out via the mini displayport- http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3065

Audio out is on 2010 MacBook and MacBook Pro models and late 2009 iMac and later.


Most of the people commenting on that Monoprice mini displayport to HDMI adapter are using pre-2010 Macbooks and Macbook Pros and are using an additional cable to get audio to their TVs.


My configuration is a 2010 MacBook Pro to Denon AVR-3806 receiver via mini displayport to HDMI and then from the Denon to a 60" Pioneer plasma via HDMI. I'm mostly using XBMC and Boxee as my HTPC interfaces. When I want to use the MacBook Pro as a HTPC, I hook it in to an ethernet drop/Power cable/and the HDMI cable. Then I use my Harmony 880 remote to switch everything with one button. I use Row Mote Pro on an iPhone to control the MacBook Pro, if needed. The Harmony 880 controls XBMC pretty well by itself, so this is usually only needed to open up programs. This setup will be replaced with a Mac Mini i'm getting as a Xmas present.... Sometimes a restart is required to sync the HDMI, but not usually.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top