AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs /forum/post/0

monoprice.com

Can you be more specific? I looked all over monoprice for either a mini-DVI to DVI cable or adapter, and they have none. I had to go to the Apple store and buy a $20 MiniDVI -> DVI adapter and regular DVI cable to hook my MacBook up to my display. If I could find a Mini-DVI -> DVI cable anywhere, I would buy one.

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock /forum/post/0

Can you be more specific? I looked all over monoprice for either a mini-DVI to DVI cable or adapter, and they have none. I had to go to the Apple store and buy a $20 MiniDVI -> DVI adapter and regular DVI cable to hook my MacBook up to my display. If I could find a Mini-DVI -> DVI cable anywhere, I would buy one.

I just gave you monoprice as they have everything at great prices. I am not aware of any specific store that has mini-dvi/hdmi cables.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock /forum/post/0

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a mini-DVI to DVI cable. I think the Apple mini-DVI is only for Apple products. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use the mini-DVI.

ft

EDIT - I just looked it up on wikipedia and it seems that mini-DVI isn't just Apple. A few Sony laptops use it as well, but they do say it's primarily Apple.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesculanus /forum/post/0

Is there a cable with Mini-DVI on one end and HDMI on the other, or do I have to buy an adapter?

I did this a few weeks ago.

You need to get an Apple mini-DVI to DVI cable (it's about 8" long), then a DVI to HDMI cable, from Monoprice, I hought a 10 footer from them.

Works like a hot-damn. I was watching hi def WMV files from IMAX on my wifes MacBook, loaded with Windows NT SP 2 on my 58" Panny plasma. 1080P output on MacBook, tho for my needs, 720P is likely fine.

Also, while you are at it, get a digital audio (Toslink) cable with the mini-adapter (Griffin I think is the manufacturer). Hook up the MacBook to your receiver's Toslink input, and you have 5.1 surround sound bliss. The audio out jack on the MacBook doubles as a mini-digital audio out, a neat trick, with he right adapter.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer_mcmulliga /forum/post/0

You need to get an Apple mini-DVI to DVI cable (it's about 8" long), then a DVI to HDMI cable, from Monoprice, I hought a 10 footer from them.

This is what I did, too. I just don't like having the huge DVI->DVI connection hanging off of the mini-dvi port. It pops out all the time when I'm using my MacBook as a laptop plugged into my 37" lcd. It would just be so much nicer to have a mini-dvi -> dvi cable that doesn't have the coupling.

Quote:
Also, while you are at it, get a digital audio (Toslink) cable with the mini-adapter (Griffin I think is the manufacturer). Hook up the MacBook to your receiver's Toslink input, and you have 5.1 surround sound bliss. The audio out jack on the MacBook doubles as a mini-digital audio out, a neat trick, with he right adapter.

They have these at Monoprice too, at a very inexpensive price. It's a one piece cable with mini-TOS on one end and standard TOS on the other.

Here's a pic. Sorry about the cruddy quality, just used my phone camera in dim light--no flash. You get the idea, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an old thread, but I'm posting here in case someone is still looking for a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter. Monoprice.com, as stated before, has one. Go there and search for "Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter". I just ordered it, hasn't arrived yet - but can post my thoughts on it when it does.

·
Registered
481 Posts
just wanted to let everyone know that the mini-dvi to hdmi adapters exist and work well.. I was going to order it on monoprice but they were temporarily sold out so I ordered one on ebay for a few dollars more and it works fine.. using it with a 25' hdmi cable to my hdtv and it works like a charm with my imac as the video source

·
Registered
9 Posts
uncola - I'm thinking of buying an iMac and was wondering about this. I see the minidvi -> hdmi works to get video to your hdtv, but what about the sound? Do you just play it through the imac speakers or pump that through to the imac somehow as well? thxs. . .

·
Registered
5,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo7878 /forum/post/14923580

uncola - I'm thinking of buying an iMac and was wondering about this. I see the minidvi -> hdmi works to get video to your hdtv, but what about the sound? Do you just play it through the imac speakers or pump that through to the imac somehow as well? thxs. . .

You get a toslink cable with mini toslink on the mac end and toslink on the receiver end. if you are using the TV's built-in speakers then you might need to use a stereo cable with rca ends on one end and head phone end on the other end. Your TV should also support audio from a different input and video from HDMi at the same time. If not you have to use the imac speakers or some other external powered speakers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.