AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently building a new home and I just thought of a crazy idea for a completely wireless/integrated bedroom projector set up. The question is, I'm not quite sure what to purchase, or if what I'm thinking of even exists yet. The basic idea would be to have a projector mounted over my bed, so that I'm able to watch movies in bed. The tricky part comes down to the wiring. I want the entire set up to be completely wireless for the user. So here's the idea...

Step 1) Get any decent projector + mounting hardware

Step 2 ) Purchase a mini AVR receiver that does 2 channel out. I want this to be as small as possible, so that I can mount it to the ceiling, preferably on the same ceiling mounting block as the projector. Any ideas on what to buy?

Step 3 ) Run wire through the ceiling from 2 ceiling mounted speakers and have it terminate at where the projector is, so that I'm able to plug in the mini avr system into the 2 speaker wiring

Step 4 ) Purchase a intel Widi 3.0 HDMI dongle. This would be connected to the mini AVR receiver.

So, in conclusion, with an intel laptop that supports intel Widi, I'll have a convenient way of connecting to the projector, having decent 2.0 sound in my bedroom, and not have to deal with any wires at all. Any suggestions on this idea? The question though, is where can I find an affordable, small HDMI AVR that pushes at least 50W to each channel that I can mount into the ceiling. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There's the Marantz NR-1403 and NR-1603, but I don't know if they're slim enough for what you want. You also need room above the receiver for cooling, and the projector is going to run pretty hot as well, so you shouldn't really have anything above it either.

I don't think the WiDi HDMI dongle you envision actually exists. The only WiDi HDMI adapters I know of are small boxes that require their own power supplies. The HDMI inputs on TVs and receivers don't supply power, so any such device is going to need to provide it's own. I think you'd be much better off running an HDMI cable to the projector, otherwise you're going to need to have three power plugs in the ceiling instead of just one.

If your go going to be controlling this through a laptop sitting on your lap, you might as well just watch movies on your laptop. With normal HDMI cabling you can use a Blu-Ray player and/or media streaming box to watch movies and control everything through a remote.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts