AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a small pc for music playback and cd ripping (mostly). I've been considering a Via mini-ITX based system, ideally an M6000, or MII6000 so that the system is fanless. But I might also like to use the system for dvd playback, and I've been told that the 600Mhz systems aren't powerful enough for that.

So if you have a chance, please let me know your experience with the performance of mini-ITX systems:

- for dvd playback

- for winamp visulaizations (e.g. Milk)

- for cd ripping.

If you do recommend a M10000 system, then let me know if you have any suggestions for reducing fan noise.

Thanks!

-Nu

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use them for exactly what you describe and they work fine connected to a regular television. (I wouldn't recommend them for a home theater though) I have a large media server for our movie and music collection and play files over the network using a few Mini-itx systems. You really do want to go with the M10000 or better as you surmised. The main reason I went with the Mini-itx was the ability to make them completely silent and they are very small. If those points aren't of import to you you might just want to look at something a bit beefier. It never hurts to have more power than you need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bob,

Are you playing audio and video files on the mini ITX?

If video what type files are you playing through what software?

My experience using 10000 ITX for video playback was very disappointing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

semi

·
Registered
18 Posts
My VIA EPIA MII 12000 mini-itx based system performs well. The major complaint is the heat and the need to install a case fan. However, most of the heat is coming from my 220W powersupply so a better case might eliminate the need for the case fan. My case was designed for ATX boards so the poewrsupply is bigger than necessary. A mini-itx powersupply would be probably be smaller and cooler. So you should be able to get what you want.

MINI-ITX HTPC SUMMARY

·
Registered
122 Posts
But won't putting a MyHD card help for the video playback?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_expert
Bob,

Are you playing audio and video files on the mini ITX?

If video what type files are you playing through what software?

My experience using 10000 ITX for video playback was very disappointing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

semi

The M10000 has an onboard MPEG-2 decoder so it should be more than enough to watch DVD's. My MII 12000 CPU usage is only 20% when watching DVD's. The trick is to play back using software that supports the hardware decoder on the motherboard. PowerDVD and WinDVD should do that.

Playing back MPEG-4 videos on the other hand is a bit more difficult. My MII 12000 uses about 90% CPU at maximum video quality settings on DivX Player. Try setting your video quality settings in DivX Player to minimum and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
While not quite cost-comparable, a Pentium M and motherboard can be run without using a fan the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any Via Mini ITX motherboard which uses their new "CN400" northbridge chipset would be the best bet, as it has a built in MPEG-2 decoder, as well as hardware MPEG-4 acceleration. As long as you use the right software and keep all videos as MPEG-2/4, you should be okay to use one of the lower speed fanless models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My $0.02, take it for what it's worth...

I don't think running totally fanless is such a great design mantra. With some planning, you can achieve a system that is comparable in noise level but much more powerful than those slow mini-ITX boards. It may be hard to believe, but in practice, a high quality fan running at 5V is -for most intents and purposes- inaudible. A case with just one of those fans can support some very powerful gear, like winchester or venice core AMD64 chips. You can even get fanless ATX power supplies these days if you like, although the price is a little steep. Make no mistake that such a system would be more expensive than a little mini-ITX system, but it would also be much more powerful. Just goes to show that other options do exist. Good luck whatever you decide...

PS if you want pics and detailed descriptions of such systems, just ask, there are plenty out there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It also depends on size contraints too, personally I'll be going Mini ITX so I can shoe-horn it into an old slim SGI case I have lying around. 17cm x 17 cm is the max I can fit in it, coincidentally that's the max size for a Mini ITX board.

Granted, there are also Pentium-M Mini ITX boards available as well, but who wants a fan cooled system when you can go totally fanless? It's far cooler.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.