AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I figured I would post some of the rebuild of our home theater. This room was first built out in 2007 and now is going through a fairy extensive change. I had always planned to post up a theater build here on AVS. I am in the industry but really like to work on smaller unique project such as mine.

My friends call my home the mini mansion as it is a fairly small home with lots of big ideas; wine cellar, landscaping, lighting design, etc. The Home Theater is being done in a very small foot print. 100" x 144" with a small entry and equipment area.

Here is how the Theater looked before work began last month,

Thank you

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Current set up was fairly good.

I was running Triad Silver speakers, Sunfire Subwoofer and Sony Audio and Video components + home theater PC and Server. The Theater as you can see has no door and is a bit dated. I am also updating the security, lighting, CCTV and house audio systems.

New Theater System will include:

Audio Design Associates Processor

Audio Design Associates Amplifiers

Triad Gold Front Speakers

Triad Silver Surround Speaker 5.1 to 7.1

Triad 18" subwoofer

Triad 10" subwoofers in risers

2:35 Screen; was 185:1

Projector ?

Adding Acoustical Panels

Adding Door

Looking for Art Deco sconce lights

The Theater before was literally a square and with no door and was missing a lot.. When I did build it we at least staggered the studs, insulated the room as well as gluing all the wall board down; so I have a decent starting point.

The main issue is getting the look, sound and feel I am after in such a small space. Most of the rooms I have built are much larger and with larger budgets.

I will try to post the old floor plan and new shortly.

Thanks

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the equipment slated for the room. I have all of this staged excluding the Bass Management, Projector and Screen.

Equipment (Middle Atlantic Rack #2)

ADA Cinema Rhapsody Mach II

ADA PTM-8150 L,C,R Sides,Rears

ADA PTM-6150 Subs 1,2,3,4,5,6

ADA Unbalanced to Balanced (RCA to XLR for Bass Management below)

* Behringer DCX2496; Have not purchased. Still researching

Behringer EP2000 Bridged for Triad 18"

Comcast Box

* Sony BDPS5100; However looking for options as Sony has this sized small and it looks terrible.

Media Center PC

20TB Storage Server

Furman Surge Protector

Triad Silver L,C,R

Triad Bronze 4 Surround Sides and Rears

Triad Platinum 18" Subwoofer

6 Triad Bronze 4 Subwoofers, I am not crazy these are left from a large whole house system I did and these are left over.

* Projector ?

* Screen; 235/240? curved?

I have two middle atlantic racks hence rack #2, rack #1 is whole house gear.

Working on my layout for the room next. Decided to add a computer area for my daughter which will require opening more sheet rock.

Pictures coming soon, room is literally full of stuff right now. Items with * are undecided..

Thanks,

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you guys are picture hungry. Here is what I did 3 weeks ago.

I went from a old 42" Samsung to a much thinner 50" LG, Painted the room and added new cloth to the speakers.

Thanks,

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a quickly done layout of the old theater room.

I will be posting up the new layout shortly with a bit more detail. I also downloaded Sketchup to to really get an idea of what I am after.

Thanks

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New room is actually smaller then the old one due to adding a wall + the old room had no doors.

Old room is 13' x 12' 12' is the depth

New room will be 9' x 12'

I have seen and heard rooms this small and they are a lot of fun. I plan to upload my basic mock up in a few. ( 1 hour playing with excel )

Thank you

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my goal on the new floor plan.

The equipment area is framed, wired and sheet rocked. Need whole house sound back so it is a must to get this area done ASAP. Goal is to get equipment area and computer area done first. Then move into the theater room build out.

Thanks

Tyler

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Seems like that screen wall layout might make the screen a bit too high? If the screen is AT, it can overlay the subs (although may need to turn them to not fire forward).

·
Registered
758 Posts
With a 12' room depth, and it looks like with a riser you are going for 2 rows of seating, what is your screen size going to be? For the back row, 70-80" would probably be ideal, but for the front row, it's probably more like 60". Unless you are only doing 1 row. Is it possible for your to combine your computer area and your equipment area so that you can actually keep the room 13 x 12?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello

Pm'd you back.

As mentioned in the pm the riser, carpet and speaker wiring where already in place. I think if I was starting from scratch I would be going your route.

Thank you

Tyler

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest  /t/1472708/mini-mansion-home-theater-seattle#post_23371266

With a 12' room depth, and it looks like with a riser you are going for 2 rows of seating, what is your screen size going to be? For the back row, 70-80" would probably be ideal, but for the front row, it's probably more like 60". Unless you are only doing 1 row. Is it possible for your to combine your computer area and your equipment area so that you can actually keep the room 13 x 12?

The equipment room as shown is framed around the foundation so no way to gain any extra. yes two rows of seats. I am using lounge or club type chairs that have a small foot print and have to have a riser. I was looking at 235:1 at a size of 37.5 x 88 (96" diag)

Per Tedds message I looked and found this screen http://www.da-lite.com/products/product_pdfs/517.pdf but not sure if it will fit.

Thanks,

Tyler

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Pm'ed you back...

I was actually thinking more Seymour AV's XD material and there have been DIY curbed screens done on the AVS.

And some DIY masking, which all would be more representative of a higher end build but still respect being a budget build.

Moggie's build actually has a scope AT curved screen with side masking, DIY. Page 23, post 666 is the start of some serious

screen building.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1117148/saga-of-the-old-vic

I would highly recommend you get yourself a sample of XD screen material before shrinking the space any.

BTW, have you seen the small build thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/996973/small-theater-build-threads

32" inches for the bottom of the screen is too high. The elevated neck angle will be above seven degrees, and front row

viewers will be suffering from a stiff neck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts