AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I finally found a carpenter to assist me with the build and assembly of a Mini-Marty with a Stereo Integrity 18D2 subwoofer driver and Inuke 3kDSP.
The cabinet will be built out of 3/4" pine plywood with a "finished" surface (on one side), with PL Premium. The build will be standard, and we will settle on a bracing pattern (window, slats, dowels, interlocking pieces) when we get to that point.
The cabinet will have a 3/4" roundover, flush-mount driver in a double-thick baffle (1.5"), flush-fit terminal cup, and ready for paint. I will glue in the foam mattress topper, do the wiring, paint the cabinet the same colour as my walls, and mount the driver.
Pics will be posted as things happen. This isn't something that will be knocked out over a weekend.

Without going crazy looking through the threads for the iNuke settings, could someone please take pity on me and either give me step-by-step instructions, or provide a link? As I said, this is the older Nu3000DSP, NOT the "NX"-series. I am using a laptop with Win10.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Not sure you need to put foam mattress topper in it. I imagine it will decrease the sensitivity of the driver, but won't provide much benefit, with such low frequencies.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd strongly recommend you use hardwood vs. pine. It's much better material.
I appreciate the input, but it's too late. The MDF available was poor quality, and hardwood ply (which was filled with voids and knots) was twice the cost of the pine which was more than the MDF - not to mention that it was CONSIDERABLY lighter.
I COULD have gone with a flat-pack from GSG Audio, but I discovered that it would cost over $400USD to ship a single sub pack to my house - on top of the $300USD flat-pack price. That's about $900CAD, and then I STILL would have to hire someone to assemble the cabinet, as I don't have the necessary tools or space.
As it is, I'm at about $150 for materials, $200 for the amp, and I traded a small GoldenEar sub for the driver. With the $400 for construction (most valuable deal I could find) I think I'm doing fairly well. Considering that an SVS PB-1000 is darn close to $700CAD up here...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Make sure it is well braced.

As for the inuke settings, I don't think there is a single master thread, but lots of individual threads through search. Read the setup guide to familiarize yourself with the terms and start playing with the software while you're waiting for the cab to be built.

I assume you're going to bridge it, so you'll want to familiarize with 4 pole speakon connectors, if you're not already, and the +1/+2 wiring.

If you have particular questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You're gonna love it; it'll be a LF beast.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure it is well braced.

As for the inuke settings, I don't think there is a single master thread, but lots of individual threads through search. Read the setup guide to familiarize yourself with the terms and start playing with the software while you're waiting for the cab to be built.

I assume you're going to bridge it, so you'll want to familiarize with 4 pole speakon connectors, if you're not already, and the +1/+2 wiring.

If you have particular questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You're gonna love it; it'll be a LF beast.
We will probably over-brace it, if that's a thing.
GSGAD has the NX-series settings, so I wonder how far off they are from the Nu-series.
I already bridged it, have the speakon wired as per instructions on here. It will be a 4Ohm load - dual 2Ohm voice coils wired in parallel.
I'm coming from an Hsu STF-2 sub, so I'm ready to be wowed...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yes, the software is the same on the NU and NX from what I remember.

Just a point of clarification--you will want to wire the voice coils in series for a 4 ohm load.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the software is the same on the NU and NX from what I remember.

Just a point of clarification--you will want to wire the voice coils in series for a 4 ohm load.
I get them confused - but I WILL be following the diagrams!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my "contractor" ghosted me. Good thing I still have the driver, all I lost was the wood and adhesive.
Anyone know somebody in Ottawa that can build me a danged cabinet?

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Man that sucks. I'd help if I was closer. Do you have classifieds for carpenters or handy-men? It's not hard if you've got the tools and space to do it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Indeed a drag, sorry to hear that. In a pinch you could get by with a circular saw and a jigsaw if you want to try it yourself or have the wood supplier do the rough cuts for you. You would just be doing more sanding.

Cabinet makers or even some good car audio install places would be where I'd start looking.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I do have a circular saw, I don't have the jigsaw, the clamps, nor the brad nailer (not necessary, but much easier with a single person building it), nor the physical space to do all this work. I could do it outside, but it's -15*Celsius right now.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Because of the sanding you really need to do this outside and -15C is a big red line for me :) You just want some subs. Best bang for the buck. Doesn't matter how you get there :)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if anyone has a CNC file for a Mini-Marty, I might be able to get it cut on a machine near me...

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I went to GSGAD, and priced out a regular 18" Mini-Marty shipped to my home, and it's $708USD. That's close to $900CAD. The shipping alone is $400USD, which is higher than the price of the flat-pack.
It would cost me about $250 to get a cabinet CNC-machined locally.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So, I went to GSGAD, and priced out a regular 18" Mini-Marty shipped to my home, and it's $708USD. That's close to $900CAD. The shipping alone is $400USD, which is higher than the price of the flat-pack.
It would cost me about $250 to get a cabinet CNC-machined locally.
So local is 1/4 the price essentially??? How hard is assembling flat packs ?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't need a CNC to make one or two subwoofer boxes. Someone near you should be able to make a really nice cabinet using a router and table saw for a reasonable price.
I have already tried this multiple times, and the last guy ghosted me after I delivered him the plywood and PL Premium to him. That's $140 I will never see again.
The CNC machining would add in all the dados and rabbet joints in order to make the assembly easier, just as GSG Audio does. Shipping from California to Ottawa, Ontario is ridiculous. I am perfectly willing to pay for the Intellectual Property of the GSGAD design, with the provision that it will ONLY be for my personal use; ie: I wouldn't be building my own flat-packs for sale up here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts