AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this issue is not completely new but didn't see it when I searched around the forum.

I bought 6 mini SAS cables (SFF-8087) for 3 supermicro aoc-mv8 controller cards. I don't have backplane in my Lian Li D8000 case.

When I connected those cables from controller cards to individual hard drives, Windows (and supermicro controller cards) didn't recognise any hdd connected.

A friend of mine told me (over the phone) that I used wrong cables. I got confused here.

How do I know if it's a "forward" or "reverse" SAS breakout cable? They definitely look same, right?

Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
They look identical and this is one of the most annoying secret "gotchas" in modern computers.

Think of it like this:

SAS controller --> sata drives == forward breakout

sata controllers --> SAS backplane == reverse breakout

Sometimes the cable will have labeling on the ends - if the SAS side is labelled "controller" then it is a "forward breakout" cable.

·
Registered
624 Posts
+1 on the Monoprice forward breakout cable. I have two of them in my new home server running an icy dock 6-in-1 drive cage in my N54L. Work like a champ.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla  /t/1471224/mini-sas-cable-which-one-is-correct/0_100#post_23284302

Isn't a reverse cable required for SAS controller -> 4 SATA drives?

Vice Versa
Quote:
This is a Forward Breakout cable, meaning that it is intended to connect to a host/controller on the SAS end and to drives on the SATA end.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla  /t/1471224/mini-sas-cable-which-one-is-correct/0_50#post_23284302

Isn't a reverse cable required for SAS controller -> 4 SATA drives?

I used a reverse to connect four SATA ports on my mobo to the SAS port on my norco ( 4 drives / one row)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1471224/mini-sas-cable-which-one-is-correct#post_23287431

I used a reverse to connect four SATA ports on my mobo to the SAS port on my norco ( 4 drives / one row)

Aah. I was confused and thought that you were using the reverse cable with your M1015. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.