AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have scoured this site for information and have saved myself countless hours of trial and error.... so thank you! :)

I have a new Mini hooked to the Panny TH-42PD50U through a DVI-HDMI cable. Plugged in, saw the desktop immediately, looking good. However there is one problem. I downloaded SwitchResX, but am not using it and maybe that is what I need to do.

My res is set to 1280x720, and it looks pretty good except for white lines that seem to shoot across the screen every now and then.

I've read a bit about "timing" and the like, but don't know enough to know whether that is the problem or not. Are there more settings that I need to customize specifically for my Panny through SwitchResX? Is it a defective cable? Is it interlacing or the lack thereof (although switching through my resolutions some interlaced and some not, didn't seem to fix a thing)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to plasmas and to hooking up a computer to one.

Thanks

Kelly

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydavid
OK, so I have scoured this site for information and have saved myself countless hours of trial and error.... so thank you! :)

I have a new Mini hooked to the Panny TH-42PD50U through a DVI-HDMI cable. Plugged in, saw the desktop immediately, looking good. However there is one problem. I downloaded SwitchResX, but am not using it and maybe that is what I need to do.

My res is set to 1280x720, and it looks pretty good except for white lines that seem to shoot across the screen every now and then.

I've read a bit about "timing" and the like, but don't know enough to know whether that is the problem or not. Are there more settings that I need to customize specifically for my Panny through SwitchResX? Is it a defective cable? Is it interlacing or the lack thereof (although switching through my resolutions some interlaced and some not, didn't seem to fix a thing)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to plasmas and to hooking up a computer to one.

Thanks

Kelly
Before you go much further, please check the various Apple and Mac sites, including Apple's Support. That is because there are issues regarding MIni and different displays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have read, those issues are through a VGA connection to an analog monitor.

During our measurements of the analog signal quality of the VGA adapter another weakness (besides low 3D frame rates ed.) came to light: the peak voltage measurements stayed below 530 mV and therefore outside of the VESA norm. This leads to washed-out pictures on many displays, especially when using higher resolutions. Good analog monitors with high contrast ratios can compensate for this to a large extent, but using the digital connection will lead to much better picture quality.

(from macintouch,com/macmini/review.html)

Any other thoughts? Could it be a crappy cable? I've sen these cables for upwards of $100, but I got this one for $22 (pccables,com).

TIA

Kelly

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydavid
From what I have read, those issues are through a VGA connection to an analog monitor.

During our measurements of the analog signal quality of the VGA adapter another weakness (besides low 3D frame rates ed.) came to light: the peak voltage measurements stayed below 530 mV and therefore outside of the VESA norm. This leads to washed-out pictures on many displays, especially when using higher resolutions. Good analog monitors with high contrast ratios can compensate for this to a large extent, but using the digital connection will lead to much better picture quality.

(from macintouch,com/macmini/review.html)

Any other thoughts? Could it be a crappy cable? I've sen these cables for upwards of $100, but I got this one for $22 (pccables,com).

TIA

Kelly
It is too easy for me to blame your cable connection. I found a thread in our Forum you may find useful: Do a search for MDcomdial (user) or SychoBC (another user) and you should find a discussion about overscan in regard to the Mini.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I went and spent $100 on a new cable, and have received the same results. So now I know for sure it is not the cable.

The funny thing is, as it boots I see the boot screen with no problems, but that all changes once I hit the desktop.

I guess I will try another machine hooked and see if that helps.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Kelly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.