AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stupid question for the month:

Picked up an SSD that only has a mini-usb connection and I'd like to use it in my HTPC - any cable I can purchase that will allow me to plug the SSD into the sata connection on my box or am I going to have to just plug it into one of the USB ports on the back of my PC?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I can't think of such a cable.

It's possible that your SSD is actually SATA on the inside. It's up to you if you want to open it up.

Even if you find a SATA-USB cable, the drive will likely be held back due to the USB bridge chip inside. These bridge chips are what limits USB 2.0 drives to 30MBps.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
They're out there.

It begs the question of whether it is a true SSD in the sense that it uses a "real" (meaning performance-oriented and native SATA) controller, or whether it is a just using a normal USB flash drive controller and just has so many chips it is in a 2.5" enclosure.

If it's the latter, adapting it to SATA is really just pointless as it'll be even slower.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ya OP you may as well plug it into USB directly because with those cheap adapters everything still operates at USB 2.0 speeds.

A cousin of mine made the same mistake, too bad he didn't ask me first before wasting his time

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/19592060

any cable I can purchase that will allow me to plug the SSD into the sata connection on my box ?

1. I'm almost positive that there is no such animal as a USB-device to SATA-host converter.

2. Using such an adaptor would actually slow down transfers, since you would be adding another protocol layer/converter.

3. Using such an adaptor would require twice as many connectors to the PC: the SATA data connection and the power connection versus the single USB connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts