Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

This forum has been very useful in helping to decide how to build my mini HTPC for the bedroom. I have the following that I would like to connect:

. WinBook LC32 1366x768 resolution (DVI & VGA inputs)

. HDTiVo (HDMI out)

. Mac Mini (DVI & VGA out)

. Blue Logic bluetooth keyboard w/ integrated trackball

Given the above, it looks like I have to use the LCD's DVI input for the HVTiVo (using HDMI-DVI adapter). That leaves the Mini on the VGA port. Since the LCD has shares one audio input between DVI and VGA, I've put some powered speakers on the Mini and use the built-ins for the HDTiVo.

I can connect the Mini to the Winbook LCD over DVI and get 1360x768 resolution - just as I want. Unfortunately, I cannot get the same res over the VGA. I've tried switchresX but haven't found the magic combo of settings to make it work.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with SwitchresX that can help me get this set up? I don't fully understand the settings in SwitchresX (like porch) but am anxious to learn.

Many thanks in advance,

Ric

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're a lucky guy. Your job is made completely easy by the fact that your WinBook works from the DVI input at the desired resolution. All you need to do is copy the timings exactly as they are for the DVI connection and re-enter them into a custom timing while making the VGA connection. Here are exact instructions:

1) Connect WinBook and mini via DVI

2) Boot

3) Set resolution to 1366x768 (if it's not already there by default)

4) Open SwitchRes

5) Click on the currently active resolution (should have bullet next to it)

6) In the window that opened in above step, click on Details

7) Take a screen shot (cmd-opt-4 and drag) or write down all the values you see

8) Click OK, OK, close SwitchRes and shut down

9) Reconnect WinBook to mini via VGA

10) Boot (Presumably you get a useable screen at this point, just not 1366x768)

11) Open SwitchRes

12) Click on Custom tab, and New...

13) Enter all the values recorded in step 7. Voilla!

14) Switch to your newly created VGA timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmommer
All,

This forum has been very useful in helping to decide how to build my mini HTPC for the bedroom. I have the following that I would like to connect:

. WinBook LC32 1366x768 resolution (DVI & VGA inputs)

. HDTiVo (HDMI out)

. Mac Mini (DVI & VGA out)

. Blue Logic bluetooth keyboard w/ integrated trackball

Given the above, it looks like I have to use the LCD's DVI input for the HVTiVo (using HDMI-DVI adapter). That leaves the Mini on the VGA port. Since the LCD has shares one audio input between DVI and VGA, I've put some powered speakers on the Mini and use the built-ins for the HDTiVo.

I can connect the Mini to the Winbook LCD over DVI and get 1360x768 resolution - just as I want. Unfortunately, I cannot get the same res over the VGA. I've tried switchresX but haven't found the magic combo of settings to make it work.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with SwitchresX that can help me get this set up? I don't fully understand the settings in SwitchresX (like porch) but am anxious to learn.

Many thanks in advance,

Ric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.