AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of MiniDiscs with music on them that I want to transfer to my PC, but I am not sure what the best way to do this is. I have a JVC XM-R70SL and an Aiwa AM-C80 MiniDisc player; both work fine. Only problem is that neither of these have a digital output from what I can tell... the only output for either player is the headphone jack. I also have a JVC XU-301 MD-CD combination deck which plays and records MiniDiscs on its own as well.

With that being said, what is the best way to transfer the music on my MiniDiscs to my PC with no loss in digital sound quality or resolution? My PC is equipped with a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality soundcard which features both an optical in and out port on the card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! =)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Ahhh...Mini-Discs...great format way back when.
Neither of your portable players will work.

The jvc deck with optical out may work.
I believe you will need to download and
Install "Sonic Stage" software which MAY
Work with up to Windows 7.

Under import settings point the software to
Your optical In.. I believe...maybe.

I still have a Sony deck, a 6 disc changer for
My car, and 2 portable units. The nice one is
Mz-nh6000 which connects to computer via
USB and interfaces perfectly with Sonic Stage.

It will certainly be a challenge.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Of a practical note, the audio that comes out of a line output or headphone jack isn't awful. Most of what's wrong with headphone outputs is they don't handle the headphone load well, but in this case, they'd be basically unloaded. If you can't get the optical idea to work, don't be too afraid to try just a cable from the player output to analog input of a sound card. You might have to adjust levels a bit, but that's not the works thing. I'd be surprised if an minidisc > analog > PC digital transfer sounded any different from a minidisc > digital > PC path.

I'll bet an optical cable from the player to the soundcard optical in works, though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent! Thank you for the help. I will try using the JVC deck and the Sonic Stage software you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for the help. I will try using the JVC deck and the Sonic Stage software you mentioned.
Let us know how it works out please.

I replaced the Vista computer with the
Software on it. Haven't even tried to reinstall.
Almost all of my content was ripped from
CD's I own.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts