AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the MiniDSP (2x4 specifically) documentation and I'm a bit confused. I am planning to buy a MiniDSP strictly for subwoofer tuning. But the documentation reads like I have to calibrate ALL 7 speakers (in a 7.1 setup) thru the MiniDSP before I can tune the subwoofer.

My AVR is a Denon X4000 which has Audessey MultEQ XT32. I was assuming I would let Audessey do it's thing, then make changes to parametric EQ, etc in the MiniDSP and that's it. However it seems more complicated than that.

Would someone please educate me on the process? Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank you, mtg90. So, I should let Audessey do it's thing to the subwoofer output too, and then fine tune with the DSP?
Typically if using receiver automatic e.q. (Such as Audyssey) turn off any e.q. set in minidsp and then let receiver e.q. all channels. Then use minidsp to e.q. subs and other channels that are connected after the reciever.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, cellarnoise. Do I keep the crossover point the AVR sets, or do I pass an unaltered signal from my AVR, and then use the DSP to set a new crossover point/slope? IF that's even possible on the Subwoofer Preout? Sorry for all the questions...they keep popping into my head. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do I keep the crossover point the AVR sets, or do I pass an unaltered signal from my AVR, and then use the DSP to set a new crossover point/slope?
You can do pretty much any of the above, as long as the AVR can output the signal.

My exercise-room AVR doesn't have a lot of smarts, but it does have a single sub/LFE out; I'm splitting the signal, then using a miniDSP to tune (and provide high- and low-pass limits) outputs feeding a pair of amps running small tapped-horn subs.

The AVR handles the basic crossover decision-making, then hands off the sub EQ and limits to the miniDSP... lastly, I set the gain for each sub at its' own amp.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Yep let Audessey calibrate all channels including the sub then make your adjustments with minidsp. If you make adjustments before running Audessey it will try to match the subwoofer response to it's target curve overriding what work you may have done. The only adjustments you should make with the miniDSP before calibration is if you are integrating subs in multiple locations using the delay settings. If you do this you want to use only one subwoofer output from your AVR (if it has more then one) so that it does not try and redo/undo your work there.

You can adjust the crossover the AVR sets after calibration but you do so through the AVR setup, don't apply a low pass crossover in the miniDSP. If you do adjust the crossover point you may have to also adjust the subwoofer distance setting for proper summation with the mains as the AVR will have set that based on the original crossover point it had used. I explain how to do that in more detail in here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-subwoofers-mains-integration-how-thread.html

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, ejh2854 and mtg90. Very helpful advice! I will have two subs and my AVR has two sub outs. I am planning on using the Two Way Advanced Plug-in, as recommended in the manual. http://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/minidsp-2x4-kit-box-platforms/2way-advanced-detail

Not sure about delay as both subs will be in the front of the room behind the screen wall, probably equidistant from the MLP. *gasp!* It's not optimal; I know that. But I have the chance to hide two, 15+CF cabs, have monster LFE and no cabs seen...I'm going with both behind the wall, unless my room's modes just totally stink.

I have bookmarked your Multiple Subwoofers thread, mtg90. It surely will come in handy when the time comes. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.