AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 18008 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Still worried about delay, since the LCR have to go through a couple MiniDSP10x10HD's. If this works, it sounds tempting. I have some questions into MiniDSP.
With my projector my lip sync is set to 125ms delay for audio currently. As you said, we may need "video delay". My understanding: if the Dirac adds over 125ms delay to the audio I will not be able to compensate via the AVR. In other words, my lipsync would be set to 0ms, but the video could still potentially be faster than the audio.

That's my only real concern, and will keep me from buying on day one, hope my worries are unfounded. Interested to hear what Minidsp has to say.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll just reiterate that my concerns are the same as many others.

1) Can I use two of these units for an Atmos setup?
2) If #1 is done, will it enable the use of 4 subs?
3) How much delay is introduced?

Otherwise, I'm very interested in this. Dirac has been great on my computer for 2.1 listening.

Edit: One more question: Is the auditorium option available on this unit?

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
I am not worried about delay, if just using Dirac. I doubt that this device alone would add too much delay. My concern is if using Dirac on the base speakers and sub and direct for Atmos speakers. Even worse in my case, if I run everything except for Atmos speakers through the DDRC-88A and a MiniDSP10x10HD.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
I'll just reiterate that my concerns are the same as many others.

1) Can I use two of these units for an Atmos setup?
2) If #1 is done, will it enable the use of 4 sub's?

Otherwise, I'm very interested in this. Dirac has been great on my computer for 2.1 listening.
Don't see why not. You’d connect, for example, Unit 1 to the 7 listener level channels and Unit 2 to the overheads. Then run two calibration runs, one for each unit. The apply your single target curve to both units. Sounds straightforward enough unless I am missing something.

I would ass-u-me that when miniDSP were testing this unit they took account of any delay that it introduces and compared that to the lipsync in their test systems and found no problems.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
I am not worried about delay, if just using Dirac. I doubt that this device alone would add too much delay.
Quite. One would assume that miniDSp have tested this unit and found no issues.

My concern is if using Dirac on the base speakers and sub and direct for Atmos speakers. Even worse in my case, if I run everything except for Atmos speakers through the DDRC-88A and a MiniDSP10x10HD.
If the delay is a known quantity then it can easily be added manually by adjusting the distance settings of the non-Dirac channels. Or use two DD88s - that is the route I am drawn towards even though it doubles the cost.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How will you align multiple subs without purchasing additional hardware? I don't think the latency will exceed 16ms like the other Dirac unit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don't see why not. You’d connect, for example, Unit 1 to the 7 listener level channels and Unit 2 to the overheads. Then run two calibration runs, one for each unit. The apply your single target curve to both units. Sounds straightforward enough unless I am missing something.
I wonder if the target curve is stored on the computer and is available to load into the second unit. It may be difficult to exactly match the target curve of the two units, if done manually.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
If the delay is a known quantity then it can easily be added manually by adjusting the distance settings of the non-Dirac channels. Or use two DD88s - that is the route I am drawn towards even though it doubles the cost.
FWIW the nanoavr dl costs you 26ms (https://minidsp.desk.com/customer/p...at-is-the-latency-through-a-nanoavr-dl-or-hd-). I believe they all use the same minisharc internally so it seems likely that the the actual delay of this one isn't going to be markedly different.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Is the UMIK-1 the only mic usable? Or can any USB mic with a calibration file be used?
They say only the UMIK-1 can be used. From p16 of the user manual:

Note: the miniDSP UMIK-1 is the only measurement microphone that can be used with the DDRC-88A and DiracLive Calibration Tool for miniDSP.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
How will you align multiple subs without purchasing additional hardware? I don't think the latency will exceed 16ms like the other Dirac unit.
Not a problem for me, since I have miniDSP10x10HD. :)

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
Wonder what this means for Datasat and the Auro branded pre/pros. Two MiniDSP DDRC-88s and a good mainstream pre/pro with 11 pre-outs and Atmos/Auro capability renders them obsolete except for more esoteric HT configurations, unless there's something like Dirac Unison coming down the pipeline for, say, the RS20i.

·
Registered
504 Posts
They say only the UMIK-1 can be used. From p16 of the user manual:

Note: the miniDSP UMIK-1 is the only measurement microphone that can be used with the DDRC-88A and DiracLive Calibration Tool for miniDSP.
I was worried about that, but should I be? Has there been any independent testing of these mics? It's a shame that a dedicated theater could be compromised by something as minor as a mic.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I got an email with this in and am wondering what benefits this has over say the nanoAVR DL with Dirac live?

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
I was worried about that, but should I be? Has there been any independent testing of these mics? It's a shame that a dedicated theater could be compromised by something as minor as a mic.
The UMIK-1 mic is highly regarded in the REW threads, where these things matter a lot.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I got an email with this in and am wondering what benefits this has over say the nanoAVR DL with Dirac live?
The main difference is you can use it to correct anything attached to your existing processor as opposed to just correcting your bd player. There is also the argument about correcting after bass management rather than before (which is more debatable in practice but not in theory).

21 - 40 of 18008 Posts