AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 18008 Posts

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
I got an email with this in and am wondering what benefits this has over say the nanoAVR DL with Dirac live?
The nanoAVR is an all-digital solution which has to be applied to a PCM output. This, for one thing, precludes its use with Atmos which requires a bitstream. Becuase the nano has to be connected via HDMI, it really has to go between the digital source, say a Bluray player, and the amplifiers whereas the DDC-88 can be used with all sources by interposing it between the prepro and the amplifiers. This requires the use of full external amplifiers in order to work. (Anyone mourning the loss of the old 'tape loop'?).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The main difference is you can use it to correct anything attached to your existing processor as opposed to just correcting your bd player. There is also the argument about correcting after bass management rather than before (which is more debatable in practice but not in theory).
The nanoAVR is an all-digital solution which has to be applied to a PCM output. This, for one thing, precludes its use with Atmos which requires a bitstream. Becuase the nano has to be connected via HDMI, it really has to go between the digital source, say a Bluray player, and the amplifiers whereas the DDC-88 can be used with all sources by interposing it between the prepro and the amplifiers. This requires the use of full external amplifiers in order to work. (Anyone mourning the loss of the old 'tape loop'?).

Thanks for the answers. Seems as if I were to go ATMOS or the like this would be great. But since I will be holding off on that and currently only have my PC hooked up to stream video and audio from that the nanoAVR will do me fine.

One other question though for down the road when I do decide to go the ATMOS way, could I still use the nanoavr and the DDRC-88A together? Say I run 4 speakers from the nanoavr and another 6 off the DDRC, would that be possible? Not sure on how to measure for that though.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Seems as if I were to go ATMOS or the like this would be great. But since I will be holding off on that and currently only have my PC hooked up to stream video and audio from that the nanoAVR will do me fine.
If you only have a PC then just get Dirac live on the pc, no need for a nano avr at all.

·
Premium Member
8,418 Posts
Wonder what this means for Datasat and the Auro branded pre/pros. Two MiniDSP DDRC-88s and a good mainstream pre/pro with 11 pre-outs and Atmos/Auro capability renders them obsolete except for more esoteric HT configurations, unless there's something like Dirac Unison coming down the pipeline for, say, the RS20i.

What ever you do don't tell this guy!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130535.0

Djoel

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
One other question though for down the road when I do decide to go the ATMOS way, could I still use the nanoavr and the DDRC-88A together? Say I run 4 speakers from the nanoavr and another 6 off the DDRC, would that be possible? Not sure on how to measure for that though.
No. Atmos requires a bitstream output from the BD player whereas the nanoAVR requires a PCM output.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I may hold off on getting either of these units and see what comes out down the road seeing as ATMOS is still pretty new.

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
Looks like it may be time to start saving my pennies, nickles and dimes for a miniDSP DDRC-88A.
Lexicon MC12HD with DIRAC Room Correction :)

RayJr
Lexicon 7 with Dirac: retro and SOTA at the same time!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The DDRC-88A has both balanced and un-balanced inputs via Phoenix terminal blocks. Will need a solution for those with XLR pre-outs.
As others have written, non-issue. Those of us OCD enough to want all of our wires cut to length anyway will just save the cost of one connector. :)

My only surprise is that there's no remote turn on/off. There's a socket for it on the board, assuming that it's the 8x8 board locked down to Dirac, as the DDRC is a locked OpenDRC.

Also, hopefully they'll have OSX software soon, now that they have three Dirac-based products.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
As was estimated by earlier posters, the delay for the DDRC-88A is 20 to 22ms per MiniDSP and they said delay will be double confirmed in 2 weeks, so delay should not be a concern. I ought to at least get my new AV7702 setup properly to see what it can do, before buying this, but I can see one of these in my near future. :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on the initial post - appreciate the well thought out ideas. AVS is a great place be in.:)

Would like to make a list of pre/pro/receivers that can connect up to this box of tricks. The minimum requirement are analogue outputs. Some have already suggested multi units of the DDRC-88A to cater from more than 8 channels to do new formats such as Atmos/Auro as well as heights and wides. Concern is ensuring the target curve is common for both boxes.

Also thinking about a list of multi-channel amps that will connect to the DDRC-88A. Might include the power rating of each amp and the retail pricing so people can judge what's best for their particular room. This should help newbies to separates rather than the integrated receiver solution that most are familiar with.

Considering to put the above in the second post. Let me know if this is a good idea or not.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Hopefully the software implementation is good as there's no more HDMI. The nanoAVR DL was quite buggy.
Time to look for good multichannel amp (preferably class D).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Using two of these at once won't work as you expect. They are obviously not simple PEQs. Each unit will end up with different delays and different average corrected response curves since you are measuring totally different sets of speakers from potentially different measuring locations. There is no way each one will average out to the same response because of the way their algorithm merges the measurements.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Using two of these at once won't work as you expect. They are obviously not simple PEQs. Each unit will end up with different delays and different average corrected response curves since you are measuring totally different sets of speakers from potentially different measuring locations. There is no way each one will average out to the same response because of the way their algorithm merges the measurements.
My gut tells me this won't work very well, either. But, who knows. I think the first measurement is the most important. As long as you have the mic in the exact same position for both units, maybe it will work.

It would be nice if they would come up with a way to link two units together. They have USB ports. Link 'em together! Hehe.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
We need a MiniDSP that can EQ 9.3.6 channels (Atmos/Auro-3D/UHD/MDA). ...Only eight channels won't cut it anymore nowadays.

And we also want 32-bit DACs (32-bit/352kHz). ...For all eighteen (18) channels.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just heard back from miniDSP. The device latency will be around 20ms. They will publish the exact number in the manual and datasheet.
Markus,

Once the actual delay is confirmed, I'll include it in one of the first 5 posts.

This is something users will have to keep in mind and make a manual adjustment on the AVR in order to get the lip sync timing to be right. I.e. audio and video signal timing are correct.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
What would be the problem? Dirac Live measures the in-room response of single speakers and optimizes them. As long as you measure speaker pairs (like L/R or LS/RS) with the same unit I don't see any problems.

41 - 60 of 18008 Posts