AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a minidsp 2x4HD to fine tune my 2 DIYSG Stonehedge subwoofers and I'm having an issue getting the setup correct.

I have 1 rca cable from my subwoofer out (Denon 4300) into input 1 on minidsp. I have output 1 on the minidsp to channel A on inuke6000 and output 2 to channel B.

I've tried setting the inuke to mono or stereo, but I can never get any pink noise through REW if I select output 2 on the minidsp and mute output1. I do get pink noise if I am using output 1 running 30-80hz. If I switch to biamp mode 1 or 2, I get both subs to pass pink noise, but only if input 1 is on. If I mute output1, and use output 2 I get nothing.

The only setting I have active in the inuke is the limiting power to around 1100 watts based on previous recommendations when I was using the inuke in biamp mode with only 1 connection from the denon to channel a. It powered both subs with zero issues. I do have the knobs on the front on the inuke full clockwise for both channel a and b.

Any help would be very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
If you take the minidsp out of the loop and connect the amp to the avr, do both channels have output? The minidsp comes setup for loud speakers out of the box, so if this is the first time you've attempted to use the mini, you need to make sure channels 2 and 4 aren't filtering out the lower frequencies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure why I didn't think of removing the mini and testing it that way. Also didn't check the filters. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and report back after the weekend. Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I've tried setting the inuke to mono or stereo, but I can never get any pink noise through REW if I select output 2 on the minidsp and mute output1.

The defult settings for the HD are output 1 & 3 for subs and outputs 2 & 4 are hi passed for highs. You either need to use 1 & 3 or change the x-over on 2.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies. Rookie mistake. It was indeed the crossover setting on the minidsp. Bypassed and output 2 now passing low frequency sound. Thanks for the help. I've even watched that video before and it didn't even click. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since we're talking rookie mistakes, I have a rookie question... is the MiniDSP 2x4HD better than the DSP built in to some of the iNuke's?

I never quite understood the appeal of an external device even though it's presumably more flexible, but I live in the XLR world and like the built in DSP on my current iNuke. Looking to buy a bigger iNuke soon so appropriate timing to stumble onto this thread.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have the inuke 6000 with DSP. What appealed to me with the minidsp was being able to be able to take REW EQ data and upload it directly into the mini. You can also quickly add house curves and tweak the settings very quickly in REW and then upload it. With the inuke, you're copying down the eq settings from REW and then manually entering them in the inuke software. Also, I'm adding 2 more subwoofers for a total of 4, and it just makes it a little easier with having all 4 subs on 1 screen with a laptop. My equipment room is outside my theater, so being able to make adjustments with the minidsp just seemed easier than 2 connections to inukes.

There seems to be some more flexibility/range in some of the settings with the minidsp vs the inuke but I haven't ventured down that road too much. I used the inuke dsp settings before and didn't really have any issues. I just wanted to see what minidsp was all about, and so far I'm pretty happy, but certainly not something that it an absolute requirement. I also understanding about adding more equipment into the signal paths and the potential for interface and other issues. For me the convenience outweighed the potential issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts