AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5281 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to buy it and I have it on my desk. I bought the one that came assembled but I realize it does not come with power. I did ask for the DC power option, which is just a terminal block (5 to 12VDC), Can I just take one of the 100 old 12V plugs I have lying around???

Its this one
http://www.minidsp.com/images/docume...02x4%20Box.pdf

Now, I know its powered over USB but I didnt think i needed a PC with it at all times.

Damn slick little box though if I can get this working even close to the DCX Im going to be very happy!!

UPDATE : Here are some links to cables or how to make a cable for the balanced minidsp.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...dsp-howto.html

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger /forum/post/19293846

I just powered mine through usb with an old phone charger I had.

Duh!!! Great point. Thanks!

Do you have any opinions on the product?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just placed an order for one 2 days ago to EQ my subs. I debated over this and the DCX2496 for a while. One thing I wish was changed is that the max delay is only 7.5 ms, which isn't long enough to time align a THT with non horn loaded subs. I still bought it because I can loop one output from the DSP to the 2nd input and delay it more. It also looks pretty easy to work with.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
We got to play with one over the w/e at a friend's house, just using it as an EQ for his fullrange (3 way) speakers. This was the cased version. Not a bad unit and the PC interface is a bit klunky to use.

It's not as powerful as the DCX, and I wouldn't swap any of mine for one, but I did consider one for the subs at one stage.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, playing around a bit with the software. Definitely some limitations, I can not put my delays in that I have in the DCX so comparisons will take time because some of my speakers XO numbers will need modification

I really have wanted an RCA solution for my better room though, Im hoping to get decent XOs for a on-wall ribbon 2-way I have to do soon. The MT will already have a passive XO all I need is the MiniDSP to handle the 300Hz XO to a small box that has 2 6.5" drivers from Kevin Haskins in it.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got the Parameters figured out. Its actually a powerful little device.

So far I have it doing all the settings I had in my DCX.

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/19298201

Could you do any filters below 20hz?

It doesn't operate below 20Hz but I have made this request to MiniDSP. I think if enough people ask it will become a part of the firmware.

·
Registered
338 Posts
How low can the EQ go? I want to notch out a peak at around 13hz. Based on what I see in the manual, my Behringer ultracuve2496 can only go to 20hz.

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
Won't it take two to do what a DCX does?

Costs the same w/o a lot of the DCX's features, no, in particular the display?

·
Bass Enabler
21,596 Posts
Yeah, I probably wouldn't replace a DCX for these. At least, not in every situation. I figured it could be useful for a dedicated LFE dsp if I were using a DCX for LCR crossover duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antripodean /forum/post/19298422

It doesn't operate below 20Hz but I have made this request to MiniDSP. I think if enough people ask it will become a part of the firmware.

Good stuff! Hope to see it pop up as a new feature in an update soon.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/19298456

Won't it take two to do what a DCX does?

Costs the same w/o a lot of the DCX's features, no, in particular the display?

The DCX has 3 inputs and 6 outputs so its 1.5 times more and it depends if people just have 2 2-ways or more then that!

The DCX isnt exactly perfect, it increases noise levels because its a pro audio device that runs the outputs extremely hot compared to comercial options. (see the long DCX thread in diyaudio). s, AX9 and I disagree but my pink noise tones on my ribbons and my Compression drivers show the increase so I do not care about any subjective opinion.

The DCX also does not have RCA in and out. RCA to XLR has issues so a nice clean RCA to RCA solution is always nice to have.

There is no doubt the DCX is a functionally superior (but not that superior considering I can put my complete XO in the DSP too), its nice to just have dials on the front to do quick listening tests and compare differences (love the compare button). It also has a nice easy to use store and recall functionality. Everything for the Minidsp is done on computer so to switch XOs takes a little more time. Comparisons are almost impossible.

We can hide the Minidsp when its all setup. The DCX sits out like any gly pro gear ith rack ears. It does not look good on a glass shelf with more "WAF" products.

I have not compared the SQ of either yet. That is going to be subjective anyways. There are many, many out there that think the DCX unmodded sounds like crap and Im not one of those so subjectivity will be completely based on the individual.

·
Bass Enabler
21,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19301332

The DCX has 3 inputs and 6 outputs so its 1.5 times more and it depends if people just have 2 2-ways or more then that!

The DCX isnt exactly perfect, it increases noise levels because its a pro audio device that runs the outputs extremely hot compared to comercial options. (see the long DCX thread in diyaudio). s, AX9 and I disagree but my pink noise tones on my ribbons and my Compression drivers show the increase so I do not care about any subjective opinion.

The DCX also does not have RCA in and out. RCA to XLR has issues so a nice clean RCA to RCA solution is always nice to have.

There is no doubt the DCX is a functionally superior (but not that superior considering I can put my complete XO in the DSP too), its nice to just have dials on the front to do quick listening tests and compare differences (love the compare button). It also has a nice easy to use store and recall functionality. Everything for the Minidsp is done on computer so to switch XOs takes a little more time. Comparisons are almost impossible.

We can hide the Minidsp when its all setup. The DCX sits out like any gly pro gear ith rack ears. It does not look good on a glass shelf with more "WAF" products.

I have not compared the SQ of either yet. That is going to be subjective anyways. There are many, many out there that think the DCX unmodded sounds like crap and Im not one of those so subjectivity will be completely based on the individual.

Summed up very well, Penn. Thank you. I too like the clean RCA -> RCA connectivity over the DCX. I like both of these for different reasons. Great prices on both make the choice on either much easier.
I'll still probably get the DCX first for serious LCR duty but I wanna try one of the little dsp's too. It's sooo cute!

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
That is a nice feature.

You don't seem to have to do any really programing, you just have to input the correct filter inputs. You can find calculators for this.

Also for those needing extra time delay, that can do done with an all pass filter.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts

Quote:

No subjectivity at all.You did a useless measurement and the measurement was how you used it in your system, not of the unit itself. Show me the line level noise floor coming out of the DCX and the signal levels used in and out. It does not add any significant noise if used correctly. It also has better converters than the MiniDSP.

Quote:

The DCX doesn't make much heat so it can easily be hidden, though less easily than the Mini.

1 - 20 of 5281 Posts