AVS Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 5260 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
I ordered mine the same time frame as you, I just received a shipping notification about 20 min ago. By tracking it should be here on Friday.
Me too. Right after I posted in fact! Gonna be interesting to see if I can get the hang of this thing. Can't wait to see what she will do.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just talked to Judy from Minidsp. Mine is shipping tomorrow via Speedpost/EMS instead of Fedex as I mentioned to her Fedex charges way too much in brokerage fees.
I just have to wait a little longer for it which is no big deal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have any way to EQ the response above the bass region (i.e. Audyssey)?

You should be able to bring down the peaks in the bass region pretty easily with the MiniDSP + REW EQ tool, but that huge suckout at 200hz is your mains (if this measurement is subs+mains). You will have to move them in order to improve that. I would suggest pulling them away from the front wall a foot or two and re-measure.

Is that your MLP??
That measurement was with Audyssey. I will take a measurement without Audyssey to see the difference. Yes, that is my MLP.

It is not clear from this post what you did with REW. There is a section in the 2x4 guide linked in my sig that describes how to use the REW EQ tool to create filters that can then be imported into the 2x4. If you didn't see any difference, then I am not sure you followed the procedure correctly.
The graph is without the change made by the minidsp. I will post the comparison graph pre & post minidsp hopefully tonight.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
Here is the graph. Green is with the minidsp & red is without. I didnt know what to set my target spl at so I set it at 102 db. Dont ask why

Wow, a 30dB difference between the level at 30Hz vs. the level at 200Hz? Not good. That must sound pretty bass-heavy. The difference between the two curves is insignificant. Are you sure you are running the REW EQ tool properly? Perhaps you could share some screenshots of REW with the settings you are using.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Can someone tell me what plugin I need to purchase to run 4 subs with the balanced 2x4?

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
Can someone tell me what plugin I need to purchase to run 4 subs with the balanced 2x4?
I recommend the 4-Way Advanced, Read the guide linked in my sig.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Here is the graph. Green is with the minidsp & red is without. I didnt know what to set my target spl at so I set it at 102 db. Dont ask why

Wow, a 30dB difference between the level at 30Hz vs. the level at 200Hz? Not good. That must sound pretty bass-heavy. The difference between the two curves is insignificant. Are you sure you are running the REW EQ tool properly? Perhaps you could share some screenshots of REW with the settings you are using.
I agree with Jerry...it looks like the EQ in the MiniDSP is basically doing nothing. Those three giant peaks in your bass response should have been pretty easy to flatten out. Show us a screenshot of the EQ window and filters you are using.

I also agree with Jerry that a 20dB boost for the subs is insane (and I really like bass)...where did Audyssey set your sub trim and where do you have it set now?? EDIT: Your subs are probably only running 10-12dB hot, but that huge spike at ~30hz makes it look like (and I'm sure sound like) more.

For the Target Level, you should just hit the Set Target Level button. ;)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
So I moved my mains about 10-12" forward and it helped the issue around 200hz. Green is before and black is after.
You're welcome. :D

I would try pulling them out even further to see if the response improves even more.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
So I wanted to see what Audyssey was doing so I turned it off. Black is with Audyssey and purple is without Audyssey
Are you certain this is Audyssey ON/OFF and not Audyssey REFERENCE/FLAT? That's what it looks like to me.

If it is indeed Audyssey ON/OFF, it seems that Audyssey isn't helping you much (or at all). What version of Audyssey are you using? Do you have any pics of your room (sorry if you've already posted pics, and if you did, point me to them)?

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Can't the same be done by moving close to the wall and/or padding behind the speaker?
In this case, the OP's speakers were pretty much already up against the wall and this is why I suggested moving them out.

Yes, room treatments could accomplish the same thing, but moving the speakers is free. ;)

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
In this case, the OP's speakers were pretty much already up against the wall and this is why I suggested moving them out.

Yes, room treatments could accomplish the same thing, but moving the speakers is free. ;)
Ok, thanks. Just making sure I didn't miss something. I'm setting up my speakers soon so wanted to double confirm.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
Can't the same be done by moving close to the wall and/or padding behind the speaker?
As a general rule, placing the sub close to the wall excites the mode associated with the wall and produces less flat bass response. So, moving the sub further away from the wall is usually a much better placement. "Padding behind the speaker" is not correct. Bass response is improved by adding bass traps, and the most effective placement of bass traps is in the corner, i.e. at the intersection of two or more walls. Behind the speaker is not the optimal placement.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
We think a lot a like! I would cover the entire front wall in 1"- 703 and then use chunk corner traps.
When I added the corner traps it made a huge difference.
1" 703 is not reducing bass resonance. It may be absorbing specular reflections, but nothing in the modal region.

Reactions: Alan P

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,906 Posts
Even if its ALL around??

I can put 4" behind and 16" all around the speaker... Should stop some bass
You can try. Measure before and after to determine effectiveness and you will have your answer.

3341 - 3360 of 5260 Posts