AVS Forum banner

3401 - 3420 of 5290 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Which gen of Minidsp is it? The later ones I believe can be set to have 2v output level instead of the 9v setting. The balanced ones are already set to 2v.
What you're talking about is the input sensitivity jumper, which does not affect the maximum output voltage, only the maximum input voltage at which the maximum output voltage occurs (which is fixed at 0.9 Volts RMS).

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I need help figuring out if my power source to my miniDSP or if my receiver is not putting out enough voltage that is hurting my bass output.

Signal chain is: Onkyo TX-NR5008 ->mini-dsp 2x4 kit via RCA cables -> Behringer EP2500 via RCA to XLR cable -> Sealed SI18s with 12g wires. The Subwoofers are the D2s, wired for a 4 ohm load to each channel.

Right now I'm using a USB cable from my DVD player to the miniDSP for power, this way the MiniDSP comes on when the system is on.

I have the gain on both channels of the EP2500 maxed out, and the subwoofer level on the Onkyo set at 8 out of 10. If I set the subwoofer level at anything lower than 8, the subwoofers can't keep up with my speakers (Klipsch RF82s, RC64).

My room isn't very big, about 12x19x8. I don't listen to music or have my movies up very loud, normally about 75-80dbs. Just seems odd that I have to have my gain maxed out and my subwoofer level nearly maxed out. My subwoofers don't seem to be moving a whole lot either.
You'll need to get the balanced version of the 2x4 from miniDSP to have the Behringer EP2500 go to full output.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Can someone answer me this:
I have an RCA cable that I have cut one connector off of, that I want to connect to the Phoenix block.
My RCA wire has a positive, negative, and a shield wire.
Do I use this shield wire in the 'S' position, or do I make up another wire to go from the negative to the 'S' position?
It's not clear on any of the reading I've done so far.
Cut the shield off and do a jumper wire, or use the shield wire and no jumper?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,478 Posts
I have an RCA cable that I have cut one connector off of, that I want to connect to the Phoenix block.
Do I use this shield wire in the 'S' position, or do I make up another wire to go from the negative to the 'S' position?
Directly from the manual:

Reactions: Iron Maiden

·
Registered
970 Posts

Look back at post #3373 . I asked the same question.
Cut off the shield wire. Wire the + & - and run the jumper from the - to the S.
Another member helped me out, hope I passed it on.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Boy, you are quick AustinJerry! Thanks again.

·
Registered
537 Posts
And from looking at the manual, I can hook up one input, and two outputs. One for each channel of my iNuke.
Now I'm not sure if I should use my RCA's on the outputs, or go and get a couple of XLR's instead.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,478 Posts
And from looking at the manual, I can hook up one input, and two outputs. One for each channel of my iNuke.
Now I'm not sure if I should use my RCA's on the outputs, or go and get a couple of XLR's instead.
No sonic difference. The choice should be dictated by gain management, i.e. selecting the proper voltages for your specific equipment. There is a good overview in the user guide. I am not familiar with your specific brand of gear, so I cannot make any recommendations.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This excerpt from the manual directly conflicts with what Iron Maiden states above.
In RCA mode, is the black jacketed wire used or not?
Is the MiniDSP manual calling the "-" the shield?
I'm confused now.

If connecting to equipment with RCA connectors, suitable cabling can often be made quickly cutting RCA cables
in two. Note the connection scheme shown in the diagram (and explained on the previous page): the cable
shield must be connected to the ‘−’ terminal on the miniDSP input, whereas on the output side, the ‘−’ is not
connected.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
How can I get around the 7.5ms of delay for the 2x4 plugin? Right now I am using about 11ms of delay for the sub right behind my couch. I would imagine the 2x8 or 10x 10 plugins will not work with a 2x4 Balanced MiniDSP?

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,478 Posts
How can I get around the 7.5ms of delay for the 2x4 plugin? Right now I am using about 11ms of delay for the sub right behind my couch. I would imagine the 2x8 or 10x 10 plugins will not work with a 2x4 Balanced MiniDSP?
7.5ms delay is what it is, AFAIK. I assume you have at least one other sub and it is further away? what are the distances from the MLP to your subs?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
7.5ms delay is what it is, AFAIK. I assume you have at least one other sub and it is further away? what are the distances from the MLP to your subs?
I have a pair of Submersives 15ft away, which my gives a 16ft delay to blend with my front speakers. Right now to get my rear sub to sound good and maintain the front image, I need to set it at 12ft of delay, which is almost 11ms.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,478 Posts
I have a pair of Submersives 15ft away, which my gives a 16ft delay to blend with my front speakers. Right now to get my rear sub to sound good and maintain the front image, I need to set it at 12ft of delay, which is almost 11ms.
Yes, that would be the right delay. Perhaps someone else will have solved this problem. I know that the max 7.5 delay on the 2x4 is its Achilles Heel.

Or you can move the Submersives closer...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yes, that would be the right delay. Perhaps someone else will have solved this problem. I know that the max 7.5 delay on the 2x4 is its Achilles Heel.

Or you can move the Submersives closer...
You can try reducing the delay (or the distance measurement in your AVR/Pre-pro) for your speakers to compensate for the limitation of the MiniDSP. So for your mains you'll need to reduce the distance by ~3.3' or 3ms.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,478 Posts
You can try reducing the delay (or the distance measurement in your AVR/Pre-pro) for your speakers to compensate for the limitation of the MiniDSP. So for your mains you'll need to reduce the distance by ~3.3' or 3ms.
We are talking about the delay between the subs, not between the subs and the mains. While I have never tried it, if the OP has an AVR with two independently-configurable sub outputs (like with Audyssey XT32), then augmenting the delays with the AVR might work. Place the two Submersives (assumed equidistant) on one channel, and near-field sub on the other channel. Connect each sub channel to a separate input on the 2x4. Use a plug-in that maintains separate input channels, and this might work.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
We are talking about the delay between the subs, not between the subs and the mains. While I have never tried it, if the OP has an AVR with two independently-configurable sub outputs (like with Audyssey XT32), then augmenting the delays with the AVR might work. Place the two Submersives (assumed equidistant) on one channel, and near-field sub on the other channel. Connect each sub channel to a separate input on the 2x4. Use a plug-in that maintains separate input channels, and this might work.
Wish it was that easy. I also have Dual LMS Ultras on my rear outputs. Their delay is fine at almost 7ft, coming from the receiver. I only need external delay for the HS24 in the rear. I might be able to make do with the 7.5ms delay. I noticed when adding delay on top of the receiver delay I still seem to need almost the same delay as if the receiver was not there......weird.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,478 Posts
Wish it was that easy. I also have Dual LMS Ultras on my rear outputs. Their delay is fine at almost 7ft, coming from the receiver. I only need external delay for the HS24 in the rear. I might be able to make do with the 7.5ms delay. I noticed when adding delay on top of the receiver delay I still seem to need almost the same delay as if the receiver was not there......weird.
Unfortunately, you may be faced with a compromise. Only measurements will reveal whether it is a reasonable compromise.

3401 - 3420 of 5290 Posts