AVS Forum banner

4761 - 4780 of 5281 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
FYI, when you restored it to factory defaults, it sets outputs 1 and 3 for subs and outputs 2 and 4 for mids/highs. Make sure you are using output 1 or 3 unless you reconfigured 2 and 4.
Hey thanks, but yeah I am only using output 1

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Hey thanks, but yeah I am only using output 1
Just play stuff through it. Connect the software via PC. Voila - you'll see what's making noise and what isn't. Super easy!

Reactions: javan robinson

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just play stuff through it. Connect the software via PC. Voila - you'll see what's making noise and what isn't. Super easy!
Thanks!

But what? Lol

I am playing through it - the Mini is connected to my laptop via USB cable, the UMIK is connected via another USB, and HDMI from my AVR to my laptop. But it's still not working for some reason...hmm

I'll be working on this for the next few hours, so if anyone has any suggestions of different things to try - I'm all ears! Really want the endpoint to be running duals, but can't even do that if I can't get the mini working with 1 sub lol.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts
Thanks!

But what? Lol

I am playing through it - the Mini is connected to my laptop via USB cable, the UMIK is connected via another USB, and HDMI from my AVR to my laptop. But it's still not working for some reason...hmm

I'll be working on this for the next few hours, so if anyone has any suggestions of different things to try - I'm all ears! Really want the endpoint to be running duals, but can't even do that if I can't get the mini working with 1 sub lol.
The MiniDSP should be connected directly to your AVR using an RCA cable connection. I have never heard of connecting it the way you describe. The USB connection between the laptop and the MiniDSP is to use the plug-in to configure the device. Audio does not pass through the USB connection. Where did you see instructions for connecting things this way?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
The MiniDSP should be connected directly to your AVR using an RCA cable connection. I have never heard of connecting it the way you describe. The USB connection between the laptop and the MiniDSP is to use the plug-in to configure the device. Audio does not pass through the USB connection. Where did you see instructions for connecting things this way?
The MiniDSP can also act as a DAC.

Just run the software to configure the MiniDSP and look at the levels.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts

Which model MiniDSP are we talking about? I have a 2x4, and am unaware that it can work as a DAC.

Reactions: pepar

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey thanks Austin for your reply :)

"The Mini DSP should be connected directly to your AVR using an RCA cable connection"
^ This is the exact method in which I have my Mini DSP connected. My bad, I must have misrepresented my setup or mispoke earlier to make you think otherwise.

I have the RCA Cable coming from the AVR, going into the Mini's IN1 port. And in the OUT1 I have another RCA going to the LFE in the sub.

"The USB connection between the laptop and the MiniDSP is to use the plug in to configure the device"
^ If this is a new sub, don't I have to configure the device?

Thanks Facka, but when I run the Mini DSP software, I do not see any input/indication or raising up of the levels, indicating that the sub is indeed working - when I have the USB cable plugged in between my Laptop and Mini.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts
Hey thanks Austin for your reply :)

"The Mini DSP should be connected directly to your AVR using an RCA cable connection"
^ This is the exact method in which I have my Mini DSP connected. My bad, I must have misrepresented my setup or mispoke earlier to make you think otherwise.

I have the RCA Cable coming from the AVR, going into the Mini's IN1 port. And in the OUT1 I have another RCA going to the LFE in the sub.

"The USB connection between the laptop and the MiniDSP is to use the plug in to configure the device"
^ If this is a new sub, don't I have to configure the device?
You did not clarify—what model MiniDSP do you have? And yes, if you are connected using the RCA cables, then you should definitely be getting sound from the sub. I assume the input and output settings are both zero?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey my apologies, mini dsp 2x4 hd is what I have.

And yes, both input and output settings are both zero.

Attachments

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts

I don’t see anything wrong there. You should be getting sound on the output.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don’t see anything wrong there. You should be getting sound on the output.
I know, right!? Perhaps the Mini DSP itself or Input 1 is defective?

If I put the RCA that comes from the AVR into IN2, which Output would I use?

Also when I right-click on the audio settings in the system tray, should I be selected on the Denon or Mini DSP? I thought it was the Denon, but I am not getting sound from the sub from either.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts
I know, right!? Perhaps the Mini DSP itself or Input 1 is defective?

If I put the RCA that comes from the AVR into IN2, which Output would I use?

Also when I right-click on the audio settings in the system tray, should I be selected on the Denon or Mini DSP? I thought it was the Denon, but I am not getting sound from the sub from either.
The way you have the routing set up, using input2 will route to either output 3 or 4.

I don’t understand what the laptop is used for, other than configuring the 2x4. Why is there an HDMI connection to the laptop? The Denon should be outputting sound to your speakers independent of the laptop. For example, on the Denon, go into Setup/Speakers/Manual Setup and output the speaker level-setting test tones. Raise the master volume to zero. The main speakers should be outputting a 75dB Pink noise test signal. Cycle through each speaker until you get to the sub. The sub should be outputting the same test tone through the 2x4. Still no sound?

·
Registered
874 Posts
The way you have the routing set up, using input2 will route to either output 3 or 4.

I don’t understand what the laptop is used for, other than configuring the 2x4. Why is there an HDMI connection to the laptop? The Denon should be outputting sound to your speakers independent of the laptop. For example, on the Denon, go into Setup/Speakers/Manual Setup and output the speaker level-setting test tones. Raise the master volume to zero. The main speakers should be outputting a 75dB Pink noise test signal. Cycle through each speaker until you get to the sub. The sub should be outputting the same test tone through the 2x4. Still no sound?
Hey, thanks for the tip on the inputs and outputs.

And the reason I had the laptop hooked up is because I was going to run REW and do the EQ for measurement tool, and upload that file to the minidsp.

For clarification's sake, when the mini is out of the chain, both subs work great.

Will report back after trying the different outputs, etc.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts

And the reason I had the laptop hooked up is because I was going to run REW and do the EQ for measurement tool, and upload that file to the minidsp.

For clarification's sake, when the mini is out of the chain, both subs work great.

Makes sense that the HDMI will be used for REW, thanks for clarifying. It might be time to think that the 2x4 may be defective. Has it ever worked?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

Your input in your screenshot is "USB". I'm suspecting the MiniDSP is showing up as a sound card. Just to be sure, go into the sound card control panel and disable the MiniDSP (right click, disable)

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts

Makes sense that the HDMI will be used for REW, thanks for clarifying. It might be time to think that the 2x4 may be defective. Has it ever worked?

Your input in your screenshot is "USB". I'm suspecting the MiniDSP is showing up as a sound card. Just to be sure, go into the sound card control panel and disable the MiniDSP (right click, disable)
Hey thanks and yes it has worked before just a few days ago. I will definitely disable the mini as a sound card though as that sounds like it may be it...

Also, from the drop down box should it be selected as analog or usb?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
If you're connecting audio via RCA, select that.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,230 Posts
Thanks, but "that" is...usb?
I am not familiar with the plug-in for the 2x4HD, but looking at the top of the input screen that you posted earlier, I see a box with “USB” shown. That seems to imply that the expected input is the USB cable, and that would be wrong. Is that box a drop-down, and can you select “Analog” as the input? Or is there someplace else that you would specify analog as the input, and not USB?

·
Registered
874 Posts
She Lives/We Did It!

The Mini DSP was indeed registering as a sound device, and once I disabled it - it popped on automagically and we're in business :)

Thanks again fellas, really appreciate all of the help!

I will now set off again on my quest to use the REW EQ tool to "match the target response" and upload these filters to the mini.

For Sub 2, I shall plug in the RCA from the AVR (sub out 2) into IN2, and the other RCA from OUT2 into Sub2's LFE, is that correct?

Also, I have not time aligned or level matched these subs, but will that be taken care of once I run Audyssey?

4761 - 4780 of 5281 Posts