AVS Forum banner

4781 - 4800 of 5281 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,239 Posts
She Lives/We Did It!

The Mini DSP was indeed registering as a sound device, and once I disabled it - it popped on automagically and we're in business :)

Thanks again fellas, really appreciate all of the help!

I will now set off again on my quest to use the REW EQ tool to "match the target response" and upload these filters to the mini.

For Sub 2, I shall plug in the RCA from the AVR (sub out 2) into IN2, and the other RCA from OUT2 into Sub2's LFE, is that correct?

Also, I have not time aligned or level matched these subs, but will that be taken care of once I run Audyssey?
Well, congratulations on getting over the hump!

The subs should not have separate PEQ. The two sub outputs from the AVR have the same audio signal. Use only one sub output from the AVR, and connect the two subs to outputs 1 and 2 on the MiniDSP. Use REW to measure the combined sub signal, and use this as input to REW’s EQ tool to develop the PEQ filters. Export the PEQ filters and import them into the 2x4 on the input channel so that they apply both sub outputs. Re-measure the combined sub signal to make sure the PEQ has the desired effect.

This procedure is described in the 2x4 implementation guide linked in my sig, starting on page 32.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, congratulations on getting over the hump!

The subs should not have separate PEQ. The two sub outputs from the AVR have the same audio signal. Use only one sub output from the AVR, and connect the two subs to outputs 1 and 2 on the MiniDSP. Use REW to measure the combined sub signal, and use this as input to REW’s EQ tool to develop the PEQ filters. Export the PEQ filters and import them into the 2x4 on the input channel so that they apply both sub outputs. Re-measure the combined sub signal to make sure the PEQ has the desired effect.

This procedure is described in the 2x4 implementation guide linked in my sig, starting on page 32.
Thank you!

I also figured out by putting Sub 2 on Output 3, I was able to get sound from Sub 2 also, so that's great as well.

But now I'm confused as you're saying ignore the AVR's Sub 2 output and combine both subs into one input. But this does make sense to me however and it sound easier as I'll only have to develop one PEQ filter.

As I mentioned above, for some reason I was unable to get output from sub 2, when on output 2, so I put it on output 3. Is that okay to still continue to do that?

And so I just did the following and it worked!

AVR to In1

Sub 1 on Output 1

Sub 2 on Output 3

I will now follow your guide, and import the PEQ filters onto the input channel of the mini dsp, ensuring they apply to both sub outputs, which I will now control in the outputs screen.

Then measure REW again, make sure it looks good, then run Audyssey, right?

Thank you again!

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,239 Posts
Thank you!

I also figured out by putting Sub 2 on Output 3, I was able to get sound from Sub 2 also, so that's great as well.

But now I'm confused as you're saying ignore the AVR's Sub 2 output and combine both subs into one input. But this does make sense to me however and it sound easier as I'll only have to develop one PEQ filter.

As I mentioned above, for some reason I was unable to get output from sub 2, when on output 2, so I put it on output 3. Is that okay to still continue to do that?

And so I just did the following and it worked!

AVR to In1

Sub 1 on Output 1

Sub 2 on Output 3

I will now follow your guide, and import the PEQ filters onto the import channel of the mini dsp, ensuring they apply to both sub outputs, which I will now control in the outputs screen.

Then measure REW again, make sure it looks good, then run Audyssey, right?

Thank you again!
Yes, that is correct. On the AVR, configure it for one sub before you run Audyssey since you will only be using one output. And one last thing to consider—the time alignment of the two subs. If the two subs are not equidistant from the MLP, then you will need to use the delay setting in the 2x4 output channel to time-align the sub’s. How to do this is also covered in the 2x4 guide. If the subs are equidistant, you can skip this step.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, that is correct. On the AVR, configure it for one sub before you run Audyssey since you will only be using one output. And one last thing to consider—the time alignment of the two subs. If the two subs are not equidistant from the MLP, then you will need to use the delay setting in the 2x4 output channel to time-align the sub’s. How to do this is also covered in the 2x4 guide. If the subs are equidistant, you can skip this step.
Thank you very much!

And you're talking about this guide right? - https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7jmpozner6muzw/MiniDSP 2x4 Set-Up Guide Latest Version.pdf

And for the time alignment - do you mean from page 15-19?

And oh man, math...this may boggle me!

Thank you again!

·
Registered
874 Posts
One quick question - my subs actually are equidistant - so that's good.

But so I have cleared Audyssey's settings from my AVR, including the distance and level settings. Should I input the correct distance into my AVR before creating the PEQ?

Edit: I input the correct distance and it didn't seem to change a thing in REW so that's fine I believe.

But so in REW, I created the EQ from REW, but I had success with "safe coefficients to file" and not "export filter settings as text" as in, the coefficients file was able to be uploaded to the input1 on the minidsp.

Running REW again now and...it's looking good!

Going to run Audyssey, and I'll check back in tomorrow with progress, thanks again!

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,239 Posts
One quick question - my subs actually are equidistant - so that's good.

But so I have cleared Audyssey's settings from my AVR, including the distance and level settings. Should I input the correct distance into my AVR before creating the PEQ?

Edit: I input the correct distance and it didn't seem to change a thing in REW so that's fine I believe.

But so in REW, I created the EQ from REW, but I had success with "safe coefficients to file" and not "export filter settings as text" as in, the coefficients file was able to be uploaded to the input1 on the minidsp.

Running REW again now and...it's looking good!

Going to run Audyssey, and I'll check back in tomorrow with progress, thanks again!
As you discovered, when measuring the combined sub signal, the distance setting for the equidistant sub’s has no impact.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Quick question: If I need to lower the output of my three subwoofers by 5db is it best practice to reduce Master Volume on the MiniDSP 2x4HD to -5db or each output channel of the subwoofers in the 2x4HD by -5db?

Does it make a difference?

TIA
Nima

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,239 Posts
Quick question: If I need to lower the output of my three subwoofers by 5db is it best practice to reduce Master Volume on the MiniDSP 2x4HD to -5db or each output channel of the subwoofers in the 2x4HD by -5db?

Does it make a difference?

TIA
Nima
No difference.

Reactions: Nima

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mini DSP 2x4 HD WI-DG connectivity

I've had a miniDSP 2x4 HD for some time now. I bought the wireless bridge (WI-DG) a few months ago. Took some effort to get it set up, but got it to work fine initially. Recently, if I leave everything powered up over a weekend - all my AV equipment, the miniDSP and WI-DG, sometimes I have issues getting everything to work together. I'm using @DesertDog repo for BEQ files. If everything stays on overnight, and I want to switch to a new BEQ file, it will often hang on the "loading configuration" box. I eventually have to close the box, but then it doesn't want to connect again until I turn the miniDSP off and back on. Rebooting the laptop or the WI-DG doesn't seem to help. My WIFI signal was pretty good before and I even added a repeater to make sure everything has a strong signal. I installed the most recent firmware but it didn't help. During the holiday break I left everything on for 2 weeks, but took the WI-DG out of the chain and connected the miniDSP directly to the laptop and never had an issue.

Anyone else have connectivity issues if the miniDSP/WI-DG are left on for an extended amount of time? Any settings on my router, miniDSP, WI-DG that I can look at?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sounds like a network config issue

I've had a miniDSP 2x4 HD for some time now. I bought the wireless bridge (WI-DG) a few months ago. Took some effort to get it set up, but got it to work fine initially. Recently, if I leave everything powered up over a weekend - all my AV equipment, the miniDSP and WI-DG, sometimes I have issues getting everything to work together. I'm using @DesertDog repo for BEQ files. If everything stays on overnight, and I want to switch to a new BEQ file, it will often hang on the "loading configuration" box. I eventually have to close the box, but then it doesn't want to connect again until I turn the miniDSP off and back on. Rebooting the laptop or the WI-DG doesn't seem to help. My WIFI signal was pretty good before and I even added a repeater to make sure everything has a strong signal. I installed the most recent firmware but it didn't help. During the holiday break I left everything on for 2 weeks, but took the WI-DG out of the chain and connected the miniDSP directly to the laptop and never had an issue.

Anyone else have connectivity issues if the miniDSP/WI-DG are left on for an extended amount of time? Any settings on my router, miniDSP, WI-DG that I can look at?
That sounds like a networking equipment issue. There are a few potential explanations that fit your narrative. It's likely simple to solve, and most likely just needs a tweak to your WiFi router.

Is your WI-DG setup in "Station" mode? IOW, is it providing a connection between your miniDSP and your WiFi router? That would mean its role is to provide an IP address for your miniDSP. Now, if that's true, here are some things to consider:

1. Your router - either your WiFi router and/or an upstream router on your LAN will almost always be configured to refresh DHCP leases periodically.

2. This periodic refresh process can be set for virtually any length of time, but usually defaults to between 4 and 24 hours, depending on the equipment.

3. When the WI-DG's WiFi connection lease expires, it may be assigned a different IP address. Whether or not that is the case depends on how your router functions and how it's configured.
So, given all that... there are a few possible explanations thinking along that trajectory.

1. If your WI-DG is set to Station mode AND you have the Auto box checked in its configuration, it's quite possible the unit is getting a new IP address assigned periodically. It would certainly be likely to receive a different IP address upon boot-up. The only thing that would change that with certainty would be if you hard-coded its MAC on your router to always be assigned a particular IP address on the WiFi network's IPv4 address range.

2. Some routers can be configured to drop an IP address lease after a period of inactivity. Some devices perform a periodic "ping" or "keep alive" function. This is designed to prevent this problem from occurring by sending an innocuous request to the router periodically to let it know the device wants to continue maintaining its current connection to the router. This issue is much more common with WiFi routers than wired routers, because WiFi bandwidth has a physical limitation. There's only so much RF spectrum bandwidth that can be used at one time, and when you have a WiFi network with a large number of client devices, this practice helps prevent unnecessary RF congestion that is more difficult to manage compared with a congested wired network.
Bottom line is it sounds like your WI-DG and router are getting discombobulated from one another. The question is: why? It's likely a simple explanation. If true, the worst-case scenario would be if your WiFi router automatically drops connections that are inactive after a period of time, and the WI-DG is dormant (to the WiFI network) when not needed. And if all that is true, you'll need to examine the configuration of the WiFi router. You might need to replace your WiFi router with another model that allows you to control this function.

You might want to look into section 7.3 of the WI-DG manual (page 19) and check your keep-alive value. Increasing that value could also solve the problem. However, that's normally related to "round trip" issues where the host your WI-DG is communicating with takes too long to respond and the WI-DG drops the connection. That does not sound to me like the problem you're having.

I am speculating on all this since I don't have your network and equipment in front of me. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
@HT Geek thanks for such a detailed answer. I'll pour over this when I get home.

From memory it is set up in station mode and I know the automatic IP address has changed a few times. 3 from memory, far less than the number of reboots over the several months of owning the WI-DG.

I'll look at my router settings (Linksys WRT1900ACS from memory) and look for ping/keep alive functions.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@HT Geek thanks for such a detailed answer. I'll pour over this when I get home.

From memory it is set up in station mode and I know the automatic IP address has changed a few times. 3 from memory, far less than the number of reboots over the several months of owning the WI-DG.

I'll look at my router settings (Linksys WRT1900ACS from memory) and look for ping/keep alive functions.
NP. I should have clarified a bit on the router settings as I didn't quite explain that part properly. I'll blame that on pouring over the WI-DG manual + on my first cup of coffee at the time. LoL. :)

The TTL (Time-To-Live) is a function of how long a device waits for a connection to receive a response. Your router will have that setting somewhere as well (though you may or may not be able to modify it). That's not too likely to be the problem here, but you could increase it on both the router and the WI-DG and see if that helps. Normally, that could be the culprit if you had a congested WiFi network or got intermittent connection drops for some other reason.

There's another function (which I did a poor job of describing earlier) that is user-configurable on some routers, which has to do with pinging the host the router is connected to (i.e. the WI-DG) that's more like an "Are you still there?" message. I don't think it's likely the problem here. It's one of those things more common in large networks where resource allocation is more likely to be a concern. Something to consider if the more likely solutions don't work....

The time of the IPv4 leases that your router assigns is the most likely culprit. To test that, either increase the length of time DHCP leases live until they expire or hard-code the WI-DG's MAC address and assign it a specific IPv4 address that it and only it will ever be assigned. The downside to increasing the DHCP lease time is every device that connects to the WiFI router temporarily will clog up your pool of IP addresses until they reset via the timer. If you have a lot of guests using your network on a daily basis, you might run out of IP addresses if you set the DHCP lease to a really long interval. It's unusual to see leases >24 hours max. There are some esoteric security reasons to use shorter DHCP leases, but on a home network this virtually always a non-issue.

If there's a way for you to hard-code a specific IPv4 address to the WI-DG's MAC address, I would suggest that route. If you're using DHCP, it's often called "DHCP Reservation" which is just a fancy way of saying "reserve an IP address for this host only." I looked up the manual for the Linksys WRT1900ACS here, and the instructions for this process are on page 27.

If all of your host devices connected to the WiFi router already use static IP addresses, then there's something else amiss and I'd be inclined to focus on the WI-DG instead as the likely culprit. If that's the case, the TTL values are more likely to come into play as well, but still unlikely to be the problem given the behavior you've described.

·
Wireless member
27,111 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. How is WiFi - or any network connectivity - being used with this kit?

Jeff

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,239 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. How is WiFi - or any network connectivity - being used with this kit?

Jeff
By purchasing the wireless bridge (WI-DG), certain functions of various MiniDSP products can be controlled over WiFi. Read the product description on the MiniDSP web site.

·
Wireless member
27,111 Posts
By purchasing the wireless bridge (WI-DG), certain functions of various MiniDSP products can be controlled over WiFi. Read the product description on the MiniDSP web site.
I have been at this forum thing for a while and did read the description and specification pages for the 2x4 HD before posting. The Wifi connection was not mentioned when I read it then nor is it there now. Nor do the front and back diagrams show no connection for control over IP. I did just now notice a purchasing option for the WiFi bridge, but the dang 2x4 HD-specific page is silent on it.

Perhaps you could link me to the specific page for an explanation of what can be controlled over IP?

Jeff

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,239 Posts
I have been at this forum thing for a while and did read the description and specification pages for the 2x4 HD before posting. The Wifi connection was not mentioned when I read it then nor is it there now. Nor do the front and back diagrams show no connection for control over IP. I did just now notice a purchasing option for the WiFi bridge, but the dang 2x4 HD-specific page is silent on it.

Perhaps you could link me to the specific page for an explanation of what can be controlled over IP?

Jeff
The device is a WiFi to USB bridge, meaning the connection it uses to control the 2x4HD is the USB connection. The product description is here:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/accessories/wi-dg

Under “Supported plug-ins”, the 2x4HD is clearly shown. I have no experience with the product, so that is all I can tell you.

·
Wireless member
27,111 Posts
Thanks, AJ. This seems to extend their philosophy of “one device, many plugins” to hardware.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
With a response curve that will need some pulling down of these peaks and a MiniDSP 2x4HD and a NAD 758v3 with Dirac should I:

a.) Do autoEQ with REW into the MiniDSP and let Dirac do the rest

b.) Just let miniDSP handle the worst peaks with a negative HSQ and a little LSQ and then let Dirac do the rest

c.) let Dirac in the NAD do everything and the MiniDSP just for consolidation of the 3 subwoofers (distance/gain) following Jerry's guide

I am not sure what the best approach would be as far as headroom and dynamics are concerned.

Also with my Crown XLS 2502 Amp would it be better to put the input attenuaters to full and lower the sub signal with the MiniDSP (MV)? The amp is a bit too powerful for 4 JBL I was told.

I will be running 12 JBLs, each 4 JBL will get its own 2502 bridged. :)

TIA
Nima

Attachments

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
What is that sweep of?
Can you move the subs around before you even start eq to improve that?
Michael

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Not really those are 4 JBL 1214 in 2 100 liter boxes. 8 JBLs are on the side walls flanking the sofa and the other 2 boxes 4JBLs under the screen up front (so 12 JBL in total) . They all exhibit this FR give or take. Already tried every different combination. 😉

4781 - 4800 of 5281 Posts