AVS Forum banner

4821 - 4840 of 5262 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey gents, I had an issue creep up today with my minidsp 2x4 HD. It’s been working great since I got it then today I was unable to connect to it. Whether by usb or wi-dg when I hit “connect” I get a message in a few seconds saying “connection to the board timed out, please check your usb connection.” I tried 3 different usb cables and, like I said, the wi-dg, and same message every time. I tried unplugging it, and restarting it and the computer, nothing seems to get it back up. I’d be grateful if anyone had any experience like this or ideas?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
TBH, it would be nice to see this thread return to a civil discussion of MiniDSP topics that pertain to a wider audience, rather than network troubleshooting for a single user.
Well, it appears the audience size may have doubled. What if it's troubleshooting for two users??? :rolleyes:

While it remains to be seen if @lawdogx's query is part of a broader pattern, the timeliness of his/her question raises that possibility.

Granted, Since I've been following this thread, it has predominantly focused on audio-related questions concerning the configuration of MiniDSP products from the perspective of audio settings and physical connections. Yet, as MiniDSP's product line expands (WI-DG release date was mid-2018) it seems natural one should expect the audience attracted to this thread to have an increasing range of topics they are seeking help with, unless of course you want to take steps to restrict the focus. After all, the thread title is "MiniDSP" and not "MiniDSP Subjects Pertaining to _______".

I'm not intending to be confrontational. I am simply pointing out the fact the scope of this thread seems to be expanding by virtue of the number of users and number of products produced by the manufacturer in question, to which this thread appears to be dedicated. This thread is nearly 9-1/2 YEARS old. Perhaps it is time to consider divesting it into more granular topics pertaining to MiniDSP, in an effort to establish clearer boundaries with regards to what the object is of any particular thread's discussion. At this moment, where else would you expect these folks to turn who are having problems that are clearly associated with MiniDSP products (i.e. WI-DG in this case)? Is there a better venue for those discussions?

Perhaps MiniDSP ought to become a category rather than a thread. Food for thought. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi to all!

I'm new to MiniDSP, just got one to drive a DIY sub and eventually add more of the same later. I'm just trying to figure how things are working but I have doubts. Since I cannot hear calibrated setup anywhere I'm asking here. I have a Yamaha RX-V585 with basic YPAO, doesn't touch the sub, only delay and gain. I tried to flatten the sub using REW then uploaded the file to MiniDSP, run YPAO, then adding a Room Curve as I liked. But, doing so.. YPAO asked me to rise the gain from 10 to 12. As a result I have way LOOOOT of bass even without the room curve and no distortion. Everything looks good to me but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get all this power just from flattening the sub response. Something wrong in my workflow? Pink Noise SPL from sub is still 75db as before.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,937 Posts
Hi to all!

I'm new to MiniDSP, just got one to drive a DIY sub and eventually add more of the same later. I'm just trying to figure how things are working but I have doubts. Since I cannot hear calibrated setup anywhere I'm asking here. I have a Yamaha RX-V585 with basic YPAO, doesn't touch the sub, only delay and gain. I tried to flatten the sub using REW then uploaded the file to MiniDSP, run YPAO, then adding a Room Curve as I liked. But, doing so.. YPAO asked me to rise the gain from 10 to 12. As a result I have way LOOOOT of bass even without the room curve and no distortion. Everything looks good to me but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get all this power just from flattening the sub response. Something wrong in my workflow? Pink Noise SPL from sub is still 75db as before.
Something sounds inconsistent. If the SPL level is still 75dB, not sure how you are perceiving the bass as being so much stronger. If you were to share before and after REW measurements for the sub channel, we might be able to see what is happening.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey gents, I had an issue creep up today with my minidsp 2x4 HD. It’s been working great since I got it then today I was unable to connect to it. Whether by usb or wi-dg when I hit “connect” I get a message in a few seconds saying “connection to the board timed out, please check your usb connection.” I tried 3 different usb cables and, like I said, the wi-dg, and same message every time. I tried unplugging it, and restarting it and the computer, nothing seems to get it back up. I’d be grateful if anyone had any experience like this or ideas?
I've also had this problem, but only with the WI-DG. Mine has no problem connecting going directly from my laptop to the miniDSP 2x4 HD. I thought mine was possibly wifi related so that what I was looking at earlier. I'm pretty sure my wifi issues are resolved (if they were even ever part of the problem). If I leave everything running overnight it will disconnect and then it won't reconnect. I sent an email to miniDSP explaining the problem and what I've tried so far and they responded overnight. I have a number of things they want me to do when it hangs up next. If I make any progress or get it fixed I'll let you know.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Something sounds inconsistent. If the SPL level is still 75dB, not sure how you are perceiving the bass as being so much stronger. If you were to share before and after REW measurements for the sub channel, we might be able to see what is happening.
Thank you @AustinJerry for the reply!
Here the screenshot with pre/post and room curve.

UPDATE:
WHenI say is still 75db i mean after any YPAO calibration :)

Attachments

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,937 Posts
Thank you @AustinJerry for the reply!
Here the screenshot with pre/post and room curve.
I can't tell which measurement is pre and which is post.

The green curve should produce more bass. The purple and orange curves are smoother. All three curves are smoothed to 1/6, which masks any underlying issues. Typically, low frequency curves are presented without smoothing, and from 15-300Hz.

HST, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with the measurements.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I can't tell which measurement is pre and which is post.

The green curve should produce more bass. The purple and orange curves are smoother. All three curves are smoothed to 1/6, which masks any underlying issues. Typically, low frequency curves are presented without smoothing, and from 15-300Hz.

HST, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with the measurements.
Sorry for the graph. Also the room curve was the wrong one. Here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Major issue here

My partner has connected his subs to his HD and when he plays movies, he gets no output from the subs. NONE AT ALL. So I went over and tried to assist and here's what we found:

1. When we disconnect from the minidsp and plug it straight into the receiver we get sound.
2. With the subs plugged into the HD and REW up and running, we get sound rom the subs when playing the pink noise from the signal generator but none when we test the sub individually in the PC's control panel. We get from the speakers but not the subs.

So I assume the issue is in the HD. Could anyone identify what may be the issue?

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,937 Posts
Sorry for the graph. Also the room curve was the wrong one. Here it is.
Thanks, clear now. From the measurements, it is not clear why you perceive the room curve as having more bass. And what is the huge dip at 60Hz? That has to be audible. Moving the sub around will likely make that dip less severe. Have you tried alternate locations? PEQ is not going to correct it.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,937 Posts
Major issue here

My partner has connected his subs to his HD and when he plays movies, he gets no output from the subs. NONE AT ALL. So I went over and tried to assist and here's what we found:

1. When we disconnect from the minidsp and plug it straight into the receiver we get sound.
2. With the subs plugged into the HD and REW up and running, we get sound rom the subs when playing the pink noise from the signal generator but none when we test the sub individually in the PC's control panel. We get from the speakers but not the subs.

So I assume the issue is in the HD. Could anyone identify what may be the issue?
If the output from REW when sending the test signal is from HDMI4, then you are sending an LFE signal. If you are not getting any sound from the AVR when viewing movie content, the first thing I would check would be whether the speakers are set to “Small”. If the speakers are “Large”, there would be no signal to to the subs.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thanks AJ. Another thing to note is that when we set the option to hdmi output 4 we get nothing even in the generator. But when we set it to minidsp hdmi 1, that's when we get sound.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks, clear now. From the measurements, it is not clear why you perceive the room curve as having more bass. And what is the huge dip at 60Hz? That has to be audible. Moving the sub around will likely make that dip less severe. Have you tried alternate locations? PEQ is not going to correct it.
I reboted the Minidsp, run YPAO again and now bass are back to normal and clean.

I know the dip at 60 is very annoying but I only have two option. Sub on the left with the dip at 60Hz or sub on the right with a huge dip from 80Hz to 120Hz and my center channel has to be crossed over at 100Hz. That's why I got the MiniDSP. I need a second DIY sub, they must be build tailored and only 8". The room is small so that's ok.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but no luck so far.

That’s because the WI-DG is a buggy device. In fact, I’d call it the worst piece of Wi-Fi tech that I’ve dealt with in a long time.

I fought similar intermittent issues like you’re fighting for 3+ hours and then I gave up. I bought a 25 foot USB extension cable, connected to my 4 x 10 directly, and moved on with my life. I’ve had zero connection problems since. Save yourself some trouble and switch to USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks AJ. Another thing to note is that when we set the option to hdmi output 4 we get nothing even in the generator. But when we set it to minidsp hdmi 1, that's when we get sound.
I would check Windows "Sound" playback tab and make sure it did not revert back to stereo. It needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your system.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That’s because the WI-DG is a buggy device. In fact, I’d call it the worst piece of Wi-Fi tech that I’ve dealt with in a long time.

I fought similar intermittent issues like you’re fighting for 3+ hours and then I gave up. I bought a 25 foot USB extension cable, connected to my 4 x 10 directly, and moved on with my life. I’ve had zero connection problems since. Save yourself some trouble and switch to USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For now I want to try their instructions and see what happens. Hopefully it will get resolved so I didn't waste my money. I have a 15' cable and it's just not quite long enough to be convenient. I have a 25' in my wish list ready to go though. :) I've almost purchased it several times, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe it was for the UMIK mic for REW?) that 15' was the max for reliable connection.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,937 Posts
For now I want to try their instructions and see what happens. Hopefully it will get resolved so I didn't waste my money. I have a 15' cable and it's just not quite long enough to be convenient. I have a 25' in my wish list ready to go though. :) I've almost purchased it several times, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe it was for the UMIK mic for REW?) that 15' was the max for reliable connection.
15’ is the published maximum “supported” distance for a passive cable. Longer passive cables may work, as Ron has reported. You could also select an active USB cable to be sure it will work:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6149

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I would check Windows "Sound" playback tab and make sure it did not revert back to stereo. It needs to be 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your system.
Did that already and it is on 7.1

4821 - 4840 of 5262 Posts