AVS Forum banner

5241 - 5260 of 5280 Posts

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
This from a recent revelation from me wrt to "progress" among members of the Los Angeles Home theater Group- edited

While sweating "it" out, being in the more at risk demographic, not good for an active mind, or at least what's left of it
I built this platform from existing resources lying about the farm, (the pic is being stubborn about attaching,
it's wood and metal 18.5 x 24.5 by 20-ishes for the blocks the sub will sit on
and holds the dang thing up in the air. whoopie.
While the minidsp2x4 has provided "mucho" benefit for my 3 THTLP's, each on a BASH 300
in my 800 cu. ft. mancave
( why the h3ll did I think that XT32 could actually manage that. . .?)
So 2 (30") pointed at the ceiling)are co-located behind the seating, that's one output for both, the "Y-spiltter "
the 2 x12 JBL's sealed pointed at the seating sides are co-located, so 1 output for NF and MBM, powered by a nx3000
The 24" THTLP is in the front right corner, also pointed up.
the 4th output is for the 4 auras shakers on the seating, using a PE 250 w. plate amp
When I had 2 x Klipsch sub10's in there the floor took a pounding, literally
well all that woofage now, rather immersive but . . . it,s no "edge of tommorrow", nor should I expect it to be, but a bit closer, now?, maybe
so the 24" will be inverted on the platform to be down firing, still in the corner but with a loading distance to the floor of about 20", well with range per BFM.
the it's back to more REW, the 2x4 and XT32 refinement .
I just really don't think , ATT, this is a room to benefit much from a 2x4HD for BEQ enhancement

no one was injured lifting that sub, I attached temp lifting handles, then removed, and resealed - no possible leakage
and I'm glad I oversized the landing / support area.
but- inastaMMEDIATELY- tons more TR, solid slam,
my skin crawling a bit like from the sub in my Tesla (an @aron7awol dual 8" kicker ported f'n dominator)
the overstuffed seating , it's moving too
without changining any 2x4 setttings, and not running the 12's or shakers..
if it weren't for the total PITA using 1/2" ply
I'd build another 24" and could mostly give it a co-location opposite the other one, wrt to MLP
use the y-splitter and a spare Berry 3K I have and
a good go-to tune is "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo", great bass slam and POW
rabbit hole!
what rabbit hole?

now to run thru 60+ gigs of choice movie / demo bits

HTH

·
Registered
162 Posts
Guys, i bought a 2x4 HD and connected it to a brand new laptop and it just won't stay connected. The longest it's stayed connected is maybe 60 seconds. Sometimes it wont even connect. I've tried different ports and different USB cables but it's still happening. Any ideas?
Nobody else has encountered this issue? Seems strange.

Im also wondering if anyone else has had to deal with support. I contacted them a couple days ago and still have not heard back.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
I have typically had good luck with MiniDSP support. But keep in mind that the situation these days in HongKong is far from ideal, and my be impacting many businesses.

I have not heard of anyone having a problem similar to what you are reporting. Do you get any type of error message when you lose connection--if yes, post a screenshot. Time to go through the process of elimination--a different USB port on the laptop, a different USB cable, or even a different laptop. Even though the laptop is new, it could have an issue.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi I am considering buying a 2x4HD. First I wanted to make sure I can have the presets do completely different things?

I want one preset to use analog input to run 2 subs and a tactile transducer, all on own cables.
and a second preset to run toslink input and only the transducer output and no output to the subs. I will be using toslink for my headphones as well for night setup.
the presets will need have different delays set.

Just wanted to confirm this can be done with touch of a button on the new remote.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looking for some advice with minidsp and Dirac live. New to Dirac, but have some experience with minidsp. With 4 subs I used to gain match, set phase & delays, and then use PEQ to create a flat response. Then I would run audyssey. Now, With Dirac ive used the same procedure except I’m using a +6db house curve. Seems a little counter productive, and I’m not sure what the best way to go about it is. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
Looking for some advice with minidsp and Dirac live. New to Dirac, but have some experience with minidsp. With 4 subs I used to gain match, set phase & delays, and then use PEQ to create a flat response. Then I would run audyssey. Now, With Dirac ive used the same procedure except I’m using a +6db house curve. Seems a little counter productive, and I’m not sure what the best way to go about it is. Any advice would be appreciated.
I also use Dirac Live 3.0 and have a four-sub setup using a MiniDSP 2x4. My experiences are documented in the 2x4 guide linked in my sig. Take a look at it and see if it answers any of your questions, and come back if you need further clarification. I use REW to create PEQ filters that are downloaded to the 2x4 prior to running the Dirac calibration. This results in better low frequency response. I then apply a custom target in Dirac that boosts the low end by approx 6dB. There is a guide in my sig covering custom target creation as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That sounds pretty much what I’m doing now. I’ve been through your guide and also home theater gurus video and I’ve got the minidsp part worked out for the most part. I just wasn’t sure if it made sense since I’m cutting some frequencies to get the flat response with peq and then boosting those same frequencies in Dirac. In the end I get the result I want but wanted to make sure there’s no issue with that approach.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
That sounds pretty much what I’m doing now. I’ve been through your guide and also home theater gurus video and I’ve got the minidsp part worked out for the most part. I just wasn’t sure if it made sense since I’m cutting some frequencies to get the flat response with peq and then boosting those same frequencies in Dirac. In the end I get the result I want but wanted to make sure there’s no issue with that approach.
I don't see any issues. However, my recommendation would be to run the Dirac Live calibration without any PEQ in the 2x4 first just to see how well Dirac corrects the low frequencies. If you still see a requirement for improvement, then try the PEQ in the 2x4. I suggest this approach because keeping things as simple as possible is always a good idea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, I will definitely give that a try. One of the things that jumped out at me is the response measured in REW post Dirac isn’t as smooth as before Dirac. I’m not sure if that’s bc it’s EQing based on multiple positions or bc of a bad interaction between minidsp and Dirac. It’s not terrible though and sounds really good, but may be ways to make it better.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
Yes, I will definitely give that a try. One of the things that jumped out at me is the response measured in REW post Dirac isn’t as smooth as before Dirac. I’m not sure if that’s bc it’s EQing based on multiple positions or bc of a bad interaction between minidsp and Dirac. It’s not terrible though and sounds really good, but may be ways to make it better.
If you are comparing pre-Dirac measurements using REW with the measurements shown in Dirac after the calibration, remember that the Dirac measurements are an average across all measurement positions. To compare apples-to-apples, measure at the MLP using REW before and after the Dirac calibration. The after measurement should not be worse.

·
Registered
340 Posts
EDIT: I need to recheck these. May have been testing in the wrong mode.

I just re-ran Dirac with no miniDSP EQ, and here's a before and after graph. Also, just for comparison there's a separate graph with miniDSP PEQ and no Dirac. I know its not a perfect comparison bc they are using different curves, but just to give an idea why i think I'm not yet getting results i should.
Purple is Before Dirac, and Orange is after

Attachments

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
EDIT: I need to recheck these. May have been testing in the wrong mode.

I just re-ran Dirac with no miniDSP EQ, and here's a before and after graph. Also, just for comparison there's a separate graph with miniDSP PEQ and no Dirac. I know its not a perfect comparison bc they are using different curves, but just to give an idea why i think I'm not yet getting results i should.
Purple is Before Dirac, and Orange is after
OK, but what about post-Dirac using MiniDSP PEQ? I thought you said that It was not as good? The measurement with PEQ looks quite good, so I would expect even further improvement after Dirac. Maybe I am not understanding something...

·
Registered
340 Posts
No you are correct. Heres another graph that shows Dirac with and without miniDSP PEQ. And i double checked the graphs above and they are correct. I thought i may have been testing in a mode that bypasses Dirac but that was not the case. Im not sure if this is what i should be expecting with using the +6dB harman curve in Dirac, or if there is room for improvement.

Also, I have another more general question. Before i would get the Sub response at the MLP as flat as possible and then bump up the subs around 5-6 dB using the trims. How does that differ from using a house curve? Why would you use one method over the over? Is it just about better integration with the rest of the speakers all using the same Curve and being level matched?

Attachments

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
No you are correct. Heres another graph that shows Dirac with and without miniDSP PEQ. And i double checked the graphs above and they are correct. I thought i may have been testing in a mode that bypasses Dirac but that was not the case. Im not sure if this is what i should be expecting with using the +6dB harman curve in Dirac, or if there is room for improvement.

Also, I have another more general question. Before i would get the Sub response at the MLP as flat as possible and then bump up the subs around 5-6 dB using the trims. How does that differ from using a house curve? Why would you use one method over the over? Is it just about better integration with the rest of the speakers all using the same Curve and being level matched?
I see improvement in the 30-50Hz range. That dip around 60Hz is likely not correctable with EQ. And the slightly more aggressive roll-off in the low end can probably be alleviated with a custom target curve with LF boost.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Definitely better with PEQ in That regard. How about comparing the pre dirac with peq from my post #5251 and post Dirac with peq from post #5253.

and you are right about the 60hz dip. I can use peq to fix it but it adds bad peaks in other spots in the room. my assumption is it’s due to SBIR so I could try and tackle it through absorption but just haven’t been motivated to try.

I think the steep roll off is from the minidsp target curve. I don’t remember why I put that in.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,189 Posts
Definitely better with PEQ in That regard. How about comparing the pre dirac with peq from my post #5251 and post Dirac with peq from post #5253.

and you are right about the 60hz dip. I can use peq to fix it but it adds bad peaks in other spots in the room. my assumption is it’s due to SBIR so I could try and tackle it through absorption but just haven’t been motivated to try.

I think the steep roll off is from the minidsp target curve. I don’t remember why I put that in.
The comparison is difficult because the differences are not solely in the frequency response. The Dirac calibration is doing other things that are not reflected in the frequency response, so I would always prefer running with the Dirac calibration. Unless, of course, your ears tell you a different story.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nope. I think I’m good to go for the time being then. Thanks for taking a look.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Is there a way besides black tape or nail polish to disable or dim the flashing light on the MiniDSP 2x4 HD?

My HT room gets so dark/black that its actually distracting,

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Reactions: Alan P

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Is there a way besides black tape or nail polish to disable or dim the flashing light on the MiniDSP 2x4 HD?

My HT room gets so dark/black that its actually distracting,
I use these for majority of my devices. You can get a sheet that dims the light or fully blacks it out:

5241 - 5260 of 5280 Posts