AVS Forum banner

5281 - 5290 of 5290 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't know. If it were me, I would first verify that stacking subs produces an improved response using REW measurements. In my experience, stacking subs is not a good idea. I have two co-located subs, but I place them side-by-side. And I gain match them individually. Actually, I don't know how you would treat two subs as one when gain matching. They have individual gain controls.
I was thinking to get them matched to each other which shouldn’t be too hard since they are basically in the same spot, and then use the minidsp to adjust them together.
I guess I gotta play around with it some. I will definitely check the responses though to make sure I’m not hurting anything by stacking them. That didn’t occur to me And it’s Not a big deal if I go back to one in that corner

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is mini dsp worth the hassle for 1 sealed 15 inch subwoofer?
Yes definitely.

I got big improvements with one 10” sub, biggest improvement in years. Depends if your AVR does decent sub eq already but 99% don’t do much.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
Is mini dsp worth the hassle for 1 sealed 15 inch subwoofer?
Depends on what your sub response measurement looks like now. Do you have a measurement you can share? Some response issues can be addressed with PEQ, and some can't. And you don't say, do you have automated room correction and, if yes, what type, and how well does it correct the sub channel? Have you experimented to find the best position for the sub?

Reactions: C J

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Marantz 7011 with Audyssey, but I don't beileve that outputs a true cure even with add on App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've done a sub crawl and have it in a good postition. The response "sounds" ok to me but I'm not sure how the room is actually doing etc. Not really experienced enough to know if the sub eq is good or bad just based on sound. Sub is Rythmik E15

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I've done a sub crawl and have it in a good postition. The response "sounds" ok to me but I'm not sure how the room is actually doing etc. Not really experienced enough to know if the sub eq is good or bad just based on sound. Sub is Rythmik E15
Your best bet is to get a Umik-1 and download the free REW software, so you can measure the response and see what the measurements look like before and after audyssey. Otherwise we are all guessing.

In my experience, Audyssey (at least XT32 version) does a very good job in flattening/smoothing the bass frequencies and I've found very little need to add additional PEQ/filters on top or before it. What it doesn't do that great, is alignment with other subs and/or your speakers....but that can easily be tweaked/corrected if you have measurements to play with.

Normally with 1 subwoofer, if you already have XT32, I don't think you'll get much benefit with minidsp.

Reactions: C J

·
Registered
408 Posts
Something occurs to me and google can't find any reference to this idea so I thought I'd float it here.

I've been wanting to implement Dirac in our home theatre and all the affordable DIRAC AVRs seem riddled with horrible bugs that they don't seem very good at fixing. I am considering 2x DDRC-88A as others have done but it seems it should be time for MiniDSP to come up with a higher channel count and better DSP version more along the lines of the 2x4HD or better the SHD range.

Then I noticed the C-DSP 8x12 DL, seems like this has a better DSP and better DACs than the 88A and maybe all the other features too. It's designed for the in car market but other than the 12v supply it's usable surely, is there really much difference between the high level inputs and balanced in, level isn't far off and there's RCAs anyway.

I need 7.1 and 4 ATMOS so that's 12 channels in (without needing to use the SPDIF and with the 24 channels out I have plenty of spare outputs for multiple subs and BOSS and whatever else I can think of.

The big disadvantage has to be there's no way to do DLBC and maybe that has to have all channels on the same DSP, maybe, so for that perhaps it's best to wait and see if a new product magically appears.

Am I mad or is the C-DSP 8x12DL just a better version of the 88A with fewer RCA channels?

Edit: So I read the manual, there's actually 8 channels of Dirac and bass management (not DLBC) so I could use the SPDIF in and do a 7.1 system with 4 subs with one processor.

·
** Man of Leisure **
23,482 Posts
Something occurs to me and google can't find any reference to this idea so I thought I'd float it here.

I've been wanting to implement Dirac in our home theatre and all the affordable DIRAC AVRs seem riddled with horrible bugs that they don't seem very good at fixing. I am considering 2x DDRC-88A as others have done but it seems it should be time for MiniDSP to come up with a higher channel count and better DSP version more along the lines of the 2x4HD or better the SHD range.

Then I noticed the C-DSP 8x12 DL, seems like this has a better DSP and better DACs than the 88A and maybe all the other features too. It's designed for the in car market but other than the 12v supply it's usable surely, is there really much difference between the high level inputs and balanced in, level isn't far off and there's RCAs anyway.

I need 7.1 and 4 ATMOS so that's 12 channels in (without needing to use the SPDIF and with the 24 channels out I have plenty of spare outputs for multiple subs and BOSS and whatever else I can think of.

The big disadvantage has to be there's no way to do DLBC and maybe that has to have all channels on the same DSP, maybe, so for that perhaps it's best to wait and see if a new product magically appears.

Am I mad or is the C-DSP 8x12DL just a better version of the 88A with fewer RCA channels?
I am not familiar with the C-DSP. However the Monolith HTP-1 seems to be a reliable, relatively bug-free 16-channel processor with Dirac Live and DLBC. Its owners seem to be quite happy with its performance. Have you been following the HTP-1 discussion thread? Markus767 has one now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am not familiar with the C-DSP. However the Monolith HTP-1 seems to be a reliable, relatively bug-free 16-channel processor with Dirac Live and DLBC. Its owners seem to be quite happy with its performance. Have you been following the HTP-1 discussion thread? Markus767 has one now.
I have been following it avidly, it seems like the processor to go for for a low bug count life. I think it's about the only (lower priced) unit to do DLBC without drama.

I do like the MiniDSP products though and I may wait a while in case they produce a 14 or 16 channel SHD at a nice price.

Reactions: AustinJerry
5281 - 5290 of 5290 Posts