AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 5350 Posts

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19306740

The last part here is about the stupid gain structure discussion. You guys have get off the pro audio mentality. Not all setups have pro gear and amp gains. Some of us live in a world where looks matter as much as functionality and in those cases Im not going to put an ugly pro amp/pro gear in the situation. Im not going to try and hide it either to statisfy some unknown pro guys online. You do not know my world so please stop assuming we do gain structure wrong unknowningly in all situations.

Even with proper gain structure (in my HT room) HISS exists. The problem here is that some do not know what "HISS" means.

Speaking of gain structure, which version of the mini DSP did you buy? The 0.9 V rms / 2.5 V p-p max version or the 2.0 V rms / 5.6 V p-p max version?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Its the RevA version with 0.9Vrms/2.6Vpp

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Bad form Penn.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I actually agree with you! Im far from perfect in dealing with it.

I just want the thread to be on MiniDSP, not outstanding issues that are just rehashed from thread to thread.

Reactions: Oldemar

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I do not have my Passive XO done on the HPR152i designs. Im still active with those but I definitely want a comparison.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
hey penn, the way that you will know when you have your passive voiced in right will be when you can't tell the difference between the passive and the active. that could take a lot of expensive components landing as "clippings on the floor" though.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I didnt do a loopback test on the MiniDSP but I have tried it with my speakers and I like it.

What I like even more is that I took some small bookshelf speakers like the RB kit and I added bass bins too them to make a 3 way. Used the MiniDSP to XO around 150Hz with the RB Kit to my SC-8s and I like my new found bass. Simple and nice product, I have been looking for a DSP with RCA connections for years and finally I have it.

Its a pretty powerful little device!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I'm glad it is working out. Wish it was around a few years ago.

Which software packages do you have on it?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I purchased the 2-way Crossover Advance Version 2 with it.

I need to buy atleast 1 more now for my bedroom so I can finish my speaker project for that room.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've lately been thinking of using a MiniDSP for crossover and PEQ with our Danley DST-10 Sub. With the Danleys quite eratic FR it unfortunatley need a LOT of EQ. I believe they also have a EQ software pack that I would also use with their crossover pack. Does this sound like a doable?

If I could use the MiniDSP it would free up the DCX2496 that I'm presently using. I want to use the DCX for 2 way active X'over for our L,C,Rs.

Thanks for starting the thread Penn.

Rod

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think they have created a balanced version not sure if its in a box (kit) yet.

Also I have asked for measurements on the product to make sure it does not do anything screwy below 20Hz. I know i should do them myself and its probably 20 minutes but I still not sure just doing a loopback test using just HOLM is good enough.

MiniDSP has its own forum too. There seems to be some good activity and right now Im reading all about the "bi-quad" stuff and all pass filters which seem correct phase issues. Lots of math in that though and my head hurts but the bi-quad stuff makes the MiniDSP more powerful in some aspects then our DCX and my consumer setup likes the MiniDSP better then the pro DCX, no silly level/gain issues that come with the DCX.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Here is a link to a LT circuit with the biquad filter

http://www.minidsp.com/support/forum...mit=6&start=24

One of the past posts as a zip file for download with many calcs. Pretty cool if you understand it (I do not really understand it but I can fumble around). It creates the values to be entered from just inputing some data. Like in the HPF table, I put 12Hz and it gave me the biquad values...that is impressive stuff. Now I need to know if it works.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The miniDSP link on advanced filters.

http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...ad-programming

Quote:
Advanced Biquad programming trully opens the door to a new range of filtering applications such as:

Linkwitz transform

All pass filters

Cascaded filters (e.g. two low pass filters in series)

Filters of up to 16th order (96dB/oct) when cascading 8 biquads.. Still not enough? How about adding the remaining 6 biquad filters from the PEQ outputs and building a ( 8 + 6) * 2nd order = 28th order filter with 168dB/oct attenuation.. :)

·
Bass Enabler
21,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19372837

I think they have created a balanced version not sure if its in a box (kit) yet.

Also I have asked for measurements on the product to make sure it does not do anything screwy below 20Hz. I know i should do them myself and its probably 20 minutes but I still not sure just doing a loopback test using just HOLM is good enough.

MiniDSP has its own forum too. There seems to be some good activity and right now Im reading all about the "bi-quad" stuff and all pass filters which seem correct phase issues. Lots of math in that though and my head hurts but the bi-quad stuff makes the MiniDSP more powerful in some aspects then our DCX and my consumer setup likes the MiniDSP better then the pro DCX, no silly level/gain issues that come with the DCX.

Shouldn't take much more than hooking it up to your pc/laptop, booting up REW and disabling any mic calibration files. That will tell you right there whats going on

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The spreadsheet I downloaded is awesome. Its easy to use and it creates all the values to plug in. LT circuits and HPF even at 12Hz can be created.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Some updates on questions since I have more info now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/19298201

Sweet! Good to hear.

Penn, real quick one for you... how low (or high, even) in frequency can you modify with this dsp? Could you do any filters below 20hz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antripodean /forum/post/19298422

It doesn't operate below 20Hz but I have made this request to MiniDSP. I think if enough people ask it will become a part of the firmware.

MiniDSP does not have "basic" EQing for under 20Hz but in the advanced mode people can create whatever they want if they understand bi-quad or download a spreadsheet with all the formulas from the miniDSP forum.

The answer here is that in theory we can create a HPF at any frequency below 20Hz.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/19298456

Won't it take two to do what a DCX does?

Costs the same w/o a lot of the DCX's features, no, in particular the display?

After more time with it and if I understand the advanced features I would say that in some aspect it has more features then the DCX.

Especially in a 4 way design where cascading filters are really needed, not that Im doing a 4 way design but the DCX can not do cascading filters.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/19374272

Shouldn't take much more than hooking it up to your pc/laptop, booting up REW and disabling any mic calibration files. That will tell you right there whats going on

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Penn,

So what does this give you? Phase? Delay? How many PEQs? Low shelf/high shelf? Seems to be able to do an L/T? I'd love to get rid of my DCX and free up some space, plus I think it's causing all kinds of hum in my system.

Also, so I assume you go RCA to RCA from your AVR or pre into the Mini, then what, RCA to XLR into the proamp?

When are you back in Mississauga next!?

41 - 60 of 5350 Posts