AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around at the different options for exporting ATSC video to DVD's, and I'm wondering if anyone else here has any recommendations.

The three basic components, as I see it are:

- Demultiplexing tool: Extract the MPEG stream from the ATSC transport stream.

- Convert 1080i/720p video to 480p for DVD playback

- Export to VOB format / burn to DVD

For the Demux'ing, I have been trying HDTV2MPEG (v1.07, v1.09, and v1.10), BBDMUX, and BCDMUX. They seem to work, but the resulting video is not viewable from all apps, and I'm not sure how to judge the integrity of the resulting file. Also, I have not found any tools to do this under MacOS X, which would be nice since the files are stored on my MacOS file server.

What do others use to convert to 480p?

I tried importing a 200MB chunk of 1080i video into Pinnacle Studio 8, and it sort-of worked.. It imported the video, and exported it to a VOB format. But, the resulting video was screwed up.. It would show accosional fairly clean frames, then would show a grey frame, and movement/updates would show under that.. So, you could tell that the original data was used, but the conversion was really hosed.

Do any relatively inexpensive video editing tools handle the hi-res MPEG2 from ATSC TS's? Has anyone tried this with Roxio Videowave, Apple Final Cut Express/Pro, or other tool? Any recommended tools for Linux or MacOS X tools to demux and downres the video?

Once I get the data to 480P format, the export to VOB, and DVD burning steps should be relatively straightforward.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Why?

Personaly I don't watch SD, and only tolerate my DVD's. I would rather just keep them on my Hard drive, and watch them.

If space is an issue try encoding them with Divx, or xvid.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am trying to archive a few HD programs that I will want to watch in the future. I am willing to take the hit in quality for the convenience of the DVD. Neither my DVD player, nor my HD equipment support divx, so that's not an option (and would have the same issues of demultiplexing and MPEG conversion anyway).

I know some others here are already doing this.. If anyone has recommendations for archiving HD video to DVD's, I would love to hear it.

-Todd

·
Registered
869 Posts
Have you looked at this thread ? You wouldn't have all the "convenience" of DVD, but you could store reasonably long HD programs in most of their HD glory on a single DVD. It does take quite a bit of horsepower to play it back.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.. I looked at that thread. It has some info on tools that would be needed for conversions to DVD's too. Maybe if/when DVD players are available with HD WM9 playback capabilities this will be a nice option. But, for now, my only options for playback are DVD and ATSC (my PC VGA output does not even connect to my HDTV, only my MyHD output goes to the TV. So, windows proprietary formats are not an option.)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After playing around with several tools, I have gotten pretty good results.

For editiing transport streams, to cut out unwanted material and commercials, I used HDTVtoMPEG2 v1.09. I tried V1.10, but ran into problems with stability - it would always lock up before completing the conversion. Of course, if you don't want to edit the content, this step is not necessary.

I found a really nice tool that I didn't even realize I had.. The DVICO FusionHDTV I/II cards include software to do this. The tool is called "HD2MPEG", and it takes an HDTV Transport Stream as input, and outputs a DVD compatible MPEG2 stream - scaled to 720x480. It allows you to create interlaced or progressive output, at a configurable bit rate.

I converted an episode of "The West Wing" to 480P at 7Mbps, and the result was very good. I was able to play it in HD mode with my MyHD card, and it looked as good as most commercial DVD's.

The whole process is pretty time consuming. It's operating on such a large amount of data that each step can take hours. So, the DVICO tool that combines demuxing and scaling is really nice. If they could add the ability to edit the streams, and export directly to a DVD image, this would be a really great utility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.