AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking into getting a miniDV recorder (er, camcorder). I'm using my sister's upcoming wedding as my excuse, as well as I'm getting more and more into motorsports and want to record in-car video. What are some good options up to $1000 (or slightly over)??? I'd love to get good quality, 16:9, and perhaps the ability to do a remote camera (if possible). Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recently purchased a sony TRV20 on closeout for about $1050 (retails for $1300). It's been a pretty good buy so far. The image quality is not as good as I'd like it to be, but for the price, I think it was well worth it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Check out some of your local higher end camera/video shops or possibly on-line for a Sony VX-1000 or Canon XL-1. These are both the legacy models to the current lines - Sony's latest is the VX-2000 and Canon's is the XL-1S (or something like that). I'd think you could pick up either of these "gently worn" for a pretty good deal. It may end up being more than what you'd planned to spend, but you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you're currently looking at high-end consumer models.

I not sure exactly what these may go for used, but the Sony is a great camera. It's used for a lot of "mobile" situations for actual broadcast productions. (think Road Rules & Crocodile Hunter) It's pretty much the same unit as the VX-2000, but the 2000 has better audio capabilities.

Just food for thought....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.