AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the closest I should place a speaker to a side wall? 24 inches? Any closer and there will be "reflection" problems?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Gee, I try to put mine in corners as tight in as possible if I can. Just angle them toward your listening position. Sound is definitely reflected by walls and refracted by edges of objects, but you should not have a problem. You can even use these properties to advantage. Putting speakers in corners effectively increases their volume. Putting them close to the wall helps in a similar manner, but not as much. I won't get into things like 1/2 spaces, 1/4 spaces and 1/8 spaces. Suffice it to say that walls can be used to help focus the sound where you want it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Def Techs are bipolar? I think Mythos are not? Angling it in will need a special bracker versus flush mounting on the wall - takes away from the look a little.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxylplik2
What is the closest I should place a speaker to a side wall? 24 inches? Any closer and there will be "reflection" problems?
There's really no minimum distance to guarantee being free of side reflections, except 0 -- placing the L & R speakers right at the walls. Side reflections may otherwise occur which can cause comb filtering at low-mid frequencies and sound stage accuracy problems at higher frequencies. Putting absorption or diffusion at the mirror points is the cure. You many not get any side reflection problems if your speakers are sufficiently directional and are toed-in.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm
Gee, I try to put mine in corners as tight in as possible if I can. Just angle them toward your listening position. Sound is definitely reflected by walls and refracted by edges of objects, but you should not have a problem. You can even use these properties to advantage. Putting speakers in corners effectively increases their volume. Putting them close to the wall helps in a similar manner, but not as much. I won't get into things like 1/2 spaces, 1/4 spaces and 1/8 spaces. Suffice it to say that walls can be used to help focus the sound where you want it.
Unless the speakers are designed for this type of application it generally is inadvisable to follow this advice.

The apparent "volume increase" does not effect all frequencies the same and what you'll end up with is muddy bass and garbled highs.

Terry's advise is much better. Generally you position the speakers in the room to the position where they will have the smoothest bass responce (not loudest) and then treat the room for reflection issues.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxylplik2
Farther is always better. In an untreated room a reflected path length at least 6-8' longer and about twice the direct distance to the listeners as the direct path seems to be a good number. YMMV.

As Terry notes toe-in and speaker directivity reduce the problems although box speakers become less directional as frequency drops. I think controlled dispersion (dipoles, presumably horns) does wonders.

You also want the speakers far enough out the reflected path length is longer than 1/4 wavelength at your sub-woofer cross-over frequency. That's 3.5' at 80Hz. Absorbtion is less effective at those frequencies.

For bass response you need the speakers positioned where they were designed to go. If they were designed for placement close to a wall you'll have weak bass if you get them too far out. Speakers designed to be placed well into a room will get boomy when they're too close to a wall/floor/ceiling.

In my 13x19x8' room, speakers on a short wall 4' off the front and 8' apart (2.5 feet from a side wall), listening position 11' off the front wall, the path difference is about 3.5'.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OK, I have a situation where the Left Front speaker (for HT use) will be 1" to 8" from the side wall (depending on what I purchase). The Right Front speaker will be over 42" from the other side. Distance from rear wall is not a problem... First row of seats will be 11' from wall, second row will be 16' back.

Am I screwed? Will there be a big difference in having the left speaker 1" from the wall vs. 8" from the wall? Is there a big difference in the "side-distance" rules between bookshelf and floorstanding speakers, in general? To be more specific, I'm considering Axiom M22's vs. M60's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.