AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Digital Connection site at the specs for the MyHD 120 card.

I'm seeing lots of specs about what it can do, but not much about how fast a PC you need for it to really be able to do all these things.

I like the fact that it uses hardware encoding, so I get the feeling a state of the art monster with 3.2gHz isn't exactly required.

Will I be able to put this card into my existing less than state of the art PC (Athlon 800mHz, 768mB SDRAM, XP Home, no-size-limit-removable-hard-drive-bay), or do I need to upgrade the CPU and maybe the memory first?

Thanks...

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Your machine is more than adequate for HD timeshifting (record/playback). Just don't expect to record realtime analog at higher than 320x240 on your configuration. I wouldn't recommend attempting analog capture on the myHD cards at all. Use an ATI TV Wonder VE/Pro for analog cable/OTA recording.

The myHD cards are excellent as HD VCR's. As alternatives to the JVC 30K/40K D-VHS units and HD set top boxes, the myHD cards make a lot of sense.

Don't be intimidated by the seasoned members here or on the anandtech's and extremetech's on the net, with their bleeding edge 3Ghz+ boxes and all the up-to-the-minute frills like SATA and Firewire800. The reality is that it takes months and years for new CPU platforms and I/O standards to mature and stabilize as the bugs are discovered and removed, and driver stability is achieved.

Use what is needed to get the job done- your machine is fine for this purpose. A user in a past thread reported that the myHD worked in his PII 266Mhz box!

·
Registered
809 Posts
My system has a 600 MHz P3, 256MB of RAM, 120 GB ATA 133 HDD, and Windows 2000. It works fine for recording and playing back the transport streams of the MyHD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.